The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have some down time, I think the site could benefit from a forum dedicated to handicap conversions. It's not something I'd need, but could be helpful to the many forum members that have handicap conversion equipment. I've worked on a few vans with wheelchair ramps and lifts and may be able to help in troubleshooting these types of systems.

Another little thing that would be nice is giving the option to have a little handicap symbol ♿ under your profile pic to indicate that the member has a handicap modified van. These vans typically have modified suspensions and are much heavier than standard vans which could mean that advice given based on a standard van may not hold true.

Just a thought. Hopefully some of the member this would apply to chime in on whether they think this is something they would want.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,919 Posts
Handicap conversions is not something easy to work with.

There are no guidelines, every company does it different.

I worked with handicap vehicles for many years until I moved to the oilfield business.

You can just start a thread but, believe me, is not going to help much.

You probably worked on some handicap equipment, but not enough to make you an expert.

I went to many training classes of different manufacturers, still cannot help when people here ask for help.

Good intentions but doubt people would get good help here.

Starting a section here will only be unneeded liability for the forum owners.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've seen a few different systems - mostly on Siennas. I imagine the other users with such equipment would be able to assist each other better than I could in most cases.

I don't know the numbers on what users have lift and ramp systems, but hypothetically, say we have 30 users with conversions and 5 of them have Kneel-Van brand systems. Those 5 members could share their experiences in an easy to find forum rather than tracking down posts with the search system.

Don't see how it would be a liability for the forum owners. People give all sorts of advice on here, sometimes it's bad. Would the owners be liable for anyone following bad advice on existing forums? I sure hope not. That's like saying you would be at fault for your own broken tailbone if someone pulled the "Kick me" sign prank on you.

I just think there's a decent amount of users that might be able to benefit from such a forum. In the past month I've ran across a few posts from people having these types of vans. One asking about the 5th gen's brake vacuum pump didn't initially indicate that his van was converted which caused a bit of head scratching between me and some others on why he had the concerns that he did. Knowing from the start that he had a handicap van would have cleared things up quickly on why he couldn't manage to press the brake hard enough in an emergency stall situation. Of course he could have went into all that detail from the start or put it in his signature (which depending on length, that part may have been hidden), but if it were posted in a forum dedicated to handicap vans or marked with a handicap badge that much would have already been known.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,919 Posts
I don't know the numbers on what users have lift and ramp systems, but hypothetically, say we have 30 users with conversions and 5 of them have Kneel-Van brand systems. Those 5 members could share their experiences in an easy to find forum rather than tracking down posts with the search system.

Don't see how it would be a liability for the forum owners. People give all sorts of advice on here, sometimes it's bad. Would the owners be liable for anyone following bad advice on existing forums? I sure hope not. That's like saying you would be at fault for your own broken tailbone if someone pulled the "Kick me" sign prank on you.

I just think there's a decent amount of users that might be able to benefit from such a forum. In the past month I've ran across a few posts from people having these types of vans. One asking about the 5th gen's brake vacuum pump didn't initially indicate that his van was converted which caused a bit of head scratching between me and some others on why he had the concerns that he did. Knowing from the start that he had a handicap van would have cleared things up quickly on why he couldn't manage to press the brake hard enough in an emergency stall situation. Of course he could have went into all that detail from the start or put it in his signature (which depending on length, that part may have been hidden), but if it were posted in a forum dedicated to handicap vans or marked with a handicap badge that much would have already been known.

Seen people ask for help before, none got any help.

Most handicap vans on the road nowadays are Caravans.

Seen people controling their vehicles with hands, some with just one fingers. Also seen controling with eyes (you probably never heard of that).

I installed Turny seats on many vehicles. The only three Cadillac Escalade in the world with turny seat on the mid seats were installed by us.

I can tell you, I have some experience but still can not help here on this forum.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,919 Posts
Just to give you an idea of how hard is to diagnose those systems.

I was certified dealer for several manufacturers, some times we encounter a problem hard to diagnose. We would call the manufacturer's technical service. The factory technician will have a identical piece of equipment right in front of him before he can even start diagnosis.

Most users will have some kind of funding, either state of federal that will cover repairs, so no need for the user to mess with the equipment.

In Texas, there is a state program that covers equipment up to $50,000.00/year for users under 21. In order to qualify for this program:

1. User must live in Texas.
  2. User doesn't need to be an US citizen or legal resident, as long as they live in Texas, they qualify.
  3. User can not make over certain amount of money per year. (Yes, I've said user, parents can be millionaires and their son qualify).
And yes, it could be a liability for forum owners, I will not get into that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts