The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have used the 01+ motors in early 90s stuff with success, so I'm digging in to doing it on my own.

A little history, I am a 90s Mopar nut who enjoys keeping/modding the early 90s stuff to suit my needs. My van is a 1994 Voyager, originally a 3.0/3-speed van. We drove it for a few years without issue until around 200k when the trans started losing 2nd gear. Instead of messing with the under powered 3.0, I found a 3.8/4-speed donor van and installed that. We drove it around for another couple years without a hitch until the 3.8 decided to dump 4 qts of oil without warning, leading to the death of my 3.8 (which made me very happy in a swb van). Unable to find another 3.8, I installed a 3.3L that a friend's dad had sitting around. This engine runs great, but it is severely under powered after having the 3.8.

So this has me wanting a 3.8 again and the 01+ motors are readily available, I'm just trying to get details on what I need to do to get it all working.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I already know I'll have to swap the flexplate, timing cover, sensors, and rewire other things. I think the biggest hangup is going from a return style fuel system to the returnless system of the new motor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is a GREAT looking 2nd gen

have you considered a 3.6 with a 62TE from a 5th generation van? it makes a lot more power than the 3.3/3.8
Thanks.

I have thought about it, but I've read that in order to get it to run you have to take the whole wiring from front to rear as the engine harness is tied into the body harness. Plus I'm not real happy with the 3.6's power delivery, I prefer a torquey/low rev engine to the high strung nature of the 3.6.

The 3.8 on the other hand is some simple parts/sensor swapping to get it running, no major wiring or ecm changes. Plus the 01+ 3.8 makes 65hp/65ft-lbs more than my current engine, so it'll give it plenty of power/torque in the normal driving range.

I used to have a 94 3.8 in it and it was about perfect, but they're extremely hard to come by, that's why I'm looking at the newer motor instead. Plus, who doesn't want more power?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Long_Voyager94
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing