Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2002 T&C Lxi, this is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the
drivers side power sliding door will click open but that is it. It will
not retract open. Sometimes it will work normally as well. Funny thing
is is when the sliding door will not work the lift gate will act the
same, pop open but not raise up. Now if the sliding door opens
successful the lift gate will also work correctly. So somehow the
problem is related to both the sliding door and lift gate. Could the
problem be a relay or sensor, or latch? Has anyone else had this sort of issue?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I checked out the Tech Tip section but nothing there tells me anything. All the switches work, remote works, pillar switches work. Door just pops to open and then won't retract back. If the left slide door fails so will the lift gate, if the slide door works then the lift gate works. So some communication between the 2 or something starting from that sliding door is causing it. Some say it is the latch assembly. Just trying to get some other suggestions before I spend a $100 on the latch and it doesn't do any good. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Go the the TECH TIP section.
I have never had that problem but this may help. I am sure someone else will come up with some solutions.
Check here, this might help you.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=4384

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=4494

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem and have found a TSB that appears to fit the symptoms. The TSB no. is 23-004-03. It involves the obstacle detection system either being too sensitive or sensing too much resistance. The fix is to have the dealer clear and reprogram the obstacle detection system with new values. I have not done this yet.

If you don't have a source for TSB's most dealers will print one out for you if you give them the number.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tysons4,

I had the software updated and flashed right after I bought the van, cuz I have heard of this. Though I don't think the Obstacle detection values were changed , just cleared. It seems to only really happen when it gets colder out. Now that could cause a detection if the values are too low. I might talk to my dealer when I take it in for an oil change. thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same issue on my 02, but i noticed that it happens when its cold outside. If i drive the car for about 20 minutes, the side doors work fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same issue w/ our 2005

We just purchased a used 2005 T&C touring last week. We just started experiencing this problem yesterday. I don't know if my wife used the lift gate. We'll certainly try that today.

I will be taking it back to the dealer with the TSB number in hand. Thanks for posting that information!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tried the TSB with our 01 GC ES passenger door and it didn't do a thing. The liftgate and driver's sliding door work fine regardless of the weather. Dealer recommended changing latch and motor, said no thanks for the money they were asking. I think its a different issue because once the vehicle is warm the problem disappears. Hopefully they find a real fix for this issue that doesn't require the replacement of working parts such as latch and motor. Has anyone in a cold area ever had this issue resolved to where the door works 100% of the time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are into do-it-yourself, there is a detailed post from another site on how to change out the sliding door latch for just the price of the parts. The poster claimed it solved this problem for him. If you are interested, let me know and I will post it. I can't remember where I stashed the link, but i know I've got it somewhere. If you are not into diy, then it won't do you any good. Let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dealer indicated to me that mine was a wiring issue. Mine would pop open and that would be it. No shutting at all, regardless of the switch used.

The wiring part is finally in and I"ll be taking it over this week. I'll keep you posted on what the final verdict is, as well as the price (mine is under warranty)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem usually lies in the track harness. Plugs in behind the door post and routes itself under the door (you can see it - looks like a tank track) by the motor and finally clips inside the door. You have to take the door panel off to see this.

What happens is one of the wires (usually ground wire) will break connection when the door is moving. Either when it opens or shuts it will usually stop in the same place. Best way to test it is with an ohmeter.

Here is how I tested mine - I got access to the plugs, stuck one probe in the black wire inside the plug behind the pillar, another at the black wire in the plug on the inside of the door. Your resistance reading should be at 0.0. Once the door is activated and it "stops" because of your problem your reading should change. I saw this was happening on mine so I took the harness out, laid it on the bench and isolated where the wire was broken by kinking the track. I then pried open the track and find the wire. It literally fell apart when I grabbed.

I called the dealer and saw the part was over $100 so I spliced in a new section of wire, put it back together and no problems since.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will save someone time and money.

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Good Morning Adam.
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. Been lurking for awhile. I am a devoted Landcruiser fan and spend a lot of time on the Toyota forums. Have a T&C so I try to keep up on it also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, here is the site that has the door latch replacement. I might try fixing mine once the weather gets little warmer. http://redhouseon7th.com/howto/2001CaravanDoorRepair/index.html

There is a video on that site and mine does just that so I think it is the latch. Cold weather make it happen most all the time, when warm it don't happen much. Hope this helps.

If you are into do-it-yourself, there is a detailed post from another site on how to change out the sliding door latch for just the price of the parts. The poster claimed it solved this problem for him. If you are interested, let me know and I will post it. I can't remember where I stashed the link, but i know I've got it somewhere. If you are not into diy, then it won't do you any good. Let me know.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for the info. Our 2001 started doing the same thing this winter on the drivers side sliding door. Just unlatch & die. Warms up, works fine. I will try the search for the dead wire first to see if that reveals anything.
KC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My post above may not apply. Mine would stop immediately after the latch popping but then if I would reset the door in the back position then close it it would stop in the exact same spot - where the ground wire would kink in the track. Didn't want any confusion as if my post above wasn't enough.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, mine doesn't sound like a wire problem. I think it is either the latch or the Obstacle values need to be adjusted. From that link I posted mine is the latch, it does exactly that but doesn't re-close, just pops 1/2 inch open then you can hear some faint clicks and that's it. It seems to slide freely like the other door that works perfect so it is not hanging up somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we picked ours up today with a new wire harness. According to the work order, that's all they did. (it behaved just as Adam described). Working great now.

The service mgr indicated that it would be a "couple hundred dollar" repair if not under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,

I too have the same problem. Driver side sliding just pops 1/2 inch open then you can hear some faint clicks and that's it only when is cold. Once it’s warm it functions properly opening and closing.
Had it into the dealer for $90 diagnostic. Came up with the sensor module as being faulty and they did mention a service bulletin (#?) regarding the issue. Believe it was $200Cdn for parts/labour. Didn’t have it done it yet. Would like to find out where the sensor module is located and try it myself.

------------------------------------
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan ES AWD 3.8just pops 1/2 inch open then you can hear some faint clicks and that's it

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like the link to the other site. Both power doors on or 2001 T&C Limited have quit working totally. they are very hard to open as well.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts