The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chrysler vans didn't have that feature until the 2009 model year.
I did not realize that, thanks everyone for the information. I had not driven this car before, it's my mother in laws which she tasked me to sell. I have a 2009 SXT that does do this feature so I assumed the 2006 model did as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I read the previous posts, and it doesn't appear that this comes up too often so I might have missed it, but here's my situation with the sliding doors:

Both sliding doors work just fine - I've had the wiring harness go bad in each, and have replaced it (passenger with OEM as it was a dealer warranty item, drivers with Dorman as it was no longer under warranty)

The overhead switch works to open/close, as does the key fob, but neither B-pillar switch works to open or close.

Did I miss something earlier or has someone else on here dealt with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Could somebody help me with the following question. I have a 2002 Town and Country LX. The driver side sliding door does not have the chain and required harness attachments in order for a sliding door to operate. The passenger sliding door does have the chain and it's required harness attached to wires going through the body the car. There's also a fuse in the Box labeled power sliding door. I am unable to find any switch in the car to operate the power sliding door I checked driver door and checked over head and I'm confused as to why this used car has the the required hardware and fuse box in order to operate a power sliding door. If there's a way to operate it please let me know I do not have the original key. I only have a single key with no buttons. The car is almost fully electronic and would like to know if there's a key available and or where I can manually open the power sliding door within car

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,722 Posts
Some lower-line vans only came with a power passenger slider.

Is there a switch on the B pillars of both sides? If only on the passenger side, that is the way your car was made. If on both sides, your car is missing some parts!!!

As for the key, the 2002 used a separate fob. If you only have one key or fob, a dealer needs to program them for you I think.

http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/br921.html?utm_source=br921&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYo56xn4HGNOHa193gI9nWfenEcBFxgK7F42pvdu-0tbBoCaJrw_wcB

I found this ^^ with a quick Google. There are probably others....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Some lower-line vans only came with a power passenger slider.

Is there a switch on the B pillars of both sides? If only on the passenger side, that is the way your car was made. If on both sides, your car is missing some parts!!!

As for the key, the 2002 used a separate fob. If you only have one key or fob, a dealer needs to program them for you I think.

http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/br921.html?utm_source=br921&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYo56xn4HGNOHa193gI9nWfenEcBFxgK7F42pvdu-0tbBoCaJrw_wcB

I found this ^^ with a quick Google. There are probably others....
Your correct. Our 01 DGC EX has only the passenger side power sliding door. There is a button on the B piller, over head console and key fob. The driver's sliding door only has the plastic chain and that's it. The power slider can be operated without the motor with no problem. If its hard to open, either the motor or rollers are warn and needs replacing. (We had this problem.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I read the previous posts, and it doesn't appear that this comes up too often so I might have missed it, but here's my situation with the sliding doors:

Both sliding doors work just fine - I've had the wiring harness go bad in each, and have replaced it (passenger with OEM as it was a dealer warranty item, drivers with Dorman as it was no longer under warranty)

The overhead switch works to open/close, as does the key fob, but neither B-pillar switch works to open or close.

Did I miss something earlier or has someone else on here dealt with this?
Refer back to my post from 2014 - I had bad connection somewhere in the EVIC wiring that will make the B-pillar switches non-functional. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Your correct. Our 01 DGC EX has only the passenger side power sliding door. There is a button on the B piller, over head console and key fob. The driver's sliding door only has the plastic chain and that's it. The power slider can be operated without the motor with no problem. If its hard to open, either the motor or rollers are warn and needs replacing. (We had this problem.)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be a harness in there (drivers side) for the power door locks. :confused: My folks have an '03 GC (low-line trim, no power doors) and it has wires in the chain, drivers side..

·
Super Moderator
1,813 Posts
I don't get it.. top button is to open and pull. What is the big rubber stub below lock
The big rubber stub is the door stop.

Judging by your photo, you do not have power sliding doors, if you did there would be a switch on the B pillar.

See the following image from the owners manual:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be a harness in there (drivers side) for the power door locks. :confused: My folks have an '03 GC (low-line trim, no power doors) and it has wires in the chain, drivers side..
Your correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I found out there are two LX versions and my Base LX has power operation available.. but how to activate that ? I might need to install a switch? Might have to call a sales guy

The LXi and Limited models have two power sliding doors, while the eX has a power door only on the passenger side. The base-level LX has manual sliding doors, with power operation available only for the right-side door. The power sliders have an obstacle detection when they?re opening or closing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The base-level LX has manual sliding doors, with power operation available only for the right-side door.
If there is no B-pillar switch, you don't have the power door option. There would also be no switch in the overhead console. The presence of the fuse position in the IPM is only because it is a common unit for all trim levels (LX, LXi, Limited).

Do you have power door locks, and does the drivers-side lock operate with them?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,743 Posts
This is what I found out there are two LX versions and my Base LX has power operation available.. but how to activate that ? I might need to install a switch? Might have to call a sales guy

The LXi and Limited models have two power sliding doors, while the eX has a power door only on the passenger side. The base-level LX has manual sliding doors, with power operation available only for the right-side door. The power sliders have an obstacle detection when they?re opening or closing.
That only means that you could order one with power sliding door, is not that it just needs to be enabled.

Get a build sheet and see what your particular vehicle have or doesn't have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have power locks at the driver side for all doors. No power chain or harness on driver side sliding door, why is it there on passenger sliding door. It doesn't make sense they would have manufactured it like that without a button inside. Not even service , parts or salesman can tell me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have power locks at the driver side for all doors. No power chain or harness on driver side sliding door, why is it there on passenger sliding door. It doesn't make sense they would have manufactured it like that without a button inside. Not even service , parts or salesman can tell me.
Would you believe to capture more sales. Back in 2003 when I was doing research on the different 2001 DGC trim levels, the EX had the most features for the price. Check out this article. Even though its about the DGC EX, it still applies to the T&C EX as well.

http://www.cars.com/dodge/grand-caravan/2001/expert-reviews/?review=2&reviewId=34977

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok, I see many pages back some pictures of how to fix the snake cable (or tank track if you want to call it that), but seeing as though this is the 279th time I've replaced or repaired ours (it's like death and taxes... It's inevitable with these vans...), I figured I'd give a full tutorial...

1) Disconnect the battery (I just have to post this as I don't want to be responsible should your side impact air bags go off or something ;) )

2) Pull up the door sill (I am repairing the drivers side in this instance)

3) Remove door drive arm cover

This will uncover part of the harness in order to remove (note: upon reassemby, make sure the harness is fitted like I have it here, this way it won't come in contact with the gear wheel above it and that it is properly tucked under the door arm on the other end. This will ensure that it won't splice like the previous poster had issues with)

4) Remove the connector on the door (note: I am doing this from the underside of the vehicle as for me, this makes it quicker to pop the retaining clip and disconnect)

Remove the gray retentin clip by pushing up

See next post

·
Registered
189 Posts
Step 4 continued...

Now disconnect plug

5) Now pop the snake track of the retaining pin (note: you can also see that I have removed the portion of the harness from the drive arm I uncovered in step 3 now that I have it disconnected and the guide clip no longer holds it in place in the door

Pull back in the tab by my screwdriver tip to release

You'll see the metal pin it came off of at the top of the pic

6) Remove the red retention clip and then pop this connector loose

Upon removal of the snake cable, I found my problem. The gray wire was sliced... If I was not able to definitively see this, I would've tested the terminals at both ends of the harness using an the Ohm meter on my multi-meter, testing each circuit. A proper circuit would have no resistance. One shorted, open, etc, would have maximum/infinite resistance.

7) I then removed the complete harness;

Pry up gently on the bottom of the harness to work loose the "christmas tree" retainers

where it came out of in the door frame

See next post

·
Registered
189 Posts
Step 7 continued...

Same with this guy

And where it popped out of;

8) Now you have to disconnect it from the harness inside the B-Pillar

This blue plug

9) Harness completely out of the vehicle

10) Now to repair the little splice. These little trap doors pop open. You have to be careful to make sure you keep the links connected (I was a little too forceful and popped some out trying to get the doors open so I had to snap them back together too). Unlike the previous poster whose splice was outside the track, mine was inside (again).

Since this is in a flexible track, I at first didn't want a hard connector. I thought about soldering the wires back together and then black taping it. But then I was concerned that a solder connection wouldn't be strong enough as the track gets pulled back and forth, so I resorted back to a connector, a "butt connector in this case;

See next post

·
Registered
189 Posts
Step 10 continued

All closed back up

Testing to see if it flexed

Then reinstall everything in reverse order. Be sure on the door side to make sure that the wiring harness is properly tucked UNDER the rotating gear and that the little "U" hook clip in the hanress affixes to the door.

After all was said and done, door works like a charm now. For how long? Time will tell. However, this all in all took roughly an hour to do and saved me a couple hundred dollars. Yes our van is dirty, hence why I called it the "Rolling Garbage Can" or RGC for short. WHat caused the issue this time was that my wife made a hard left, and a tackle box full of silly beads went over and spilled all over the interior of the van, including down into the track. So I cleaned out this entire area also. But all in all, it doesn't take much to get in there and mess these things up.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts