The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt need to add at all with 3000 mile oil changes till it got to around 110,000 miles.

Now at 130K it used 1/2 quart at 1000k, then more as it starts to get dirtier. Driven on pavement, WIX air fliter. Cant see any burn out the pipe. Minimal leaks.

Calls for 5w-20, now I changed to 5w-30 which helps a little, but its also winter below freezing out.

Guy at work has a 08, same oil use issue.

Whats the deal here?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Our old '07 did the same. I used high mileage Mobil 1 in it and sometimes Engine Restore and it slowed it down. The cost balance of adding the Engine Restore was about neutral. Eventually the cat got clogged and I had to replace it.

I tried replacing the PCV like some said, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you saying that you use 1 qt every 2000 miles? And why is this a problem? Keep the oil topped off, and drive on.
That's about what my '06 3.3L with 150,000 miles does. I always have a spare jug of oil riding around in the vehicle. Still much better than my 1960s-70s cars from the "good old days."

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,676 Posts
Didnt need to add at all with 3000 mile oil changes till it got to around 110,000 miles.

Now at 130K it used 1/2 quart at 1000k, then more as it starts to get dirtier. Driven on pavement, WIX air fliter. Cant see any burn out the pipe. Minimal leaks.

Calls for 5w-20, now I changed to 5w-30 which helps a little, but its also winter below freezing out.

Whats the deal here?
That's a lot of oil. If it use more oil when it "gets dirty", you probably have one leaky injector.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts

Whats the deal here?
Since about the 2005 model year, the 3.8L has a bit of a reputation for burning oil. The 3.8L was used in the Jeep Wranglers starting in 2007 and the Jeep crowd have complained profusely about oil consumption. Their best compromise was to go to 10W-30, I believe. Lots of information on those Jeep Wrangler Forums about the 3.8L's oil burning issue

We miss the old 4.0L L6.

Not only can the 3.8L consume oil at the rate of about a liter in 3,300 km/2,000 miles, once the miles get up around 270,000 km/170,000 miles, the oil consumption basically doubles from the last oil change.and then stays that way. That's basically my experience and it's similar to others as well.

It doesn't seem to cause any performance problems otherwise. Anywhere from a quart in 500 miles to 1500 miles is considered acceptable in the industry.

Possible explanations:
With the consumer demand for more fuel efficient vehicles, there have been a couple of engine changes that influence the answer to this issue. These changes have affected the amount of oil an engine will consume by burning it and still be considered acceptable.

One change comes from changes in the piston ringers for the sake of fuel economy. The highest friction point in an engine is the point where the piston rings are in contact the cylinder walls. The higher the ring tension, the more efficient they will be at scraping oil off the cylinder walls on the downward stroke of the piston. In order to reduce friction and achieve additional fuel economy, the auto manufacturers have reduced the piston ring tension. This ring tension change has resulted in small amounts of oil getting past the piston rings into the combustion chamber where it is burned. This is the primary cause of normal oil consumption in most properly-serviced vehicles.

Another change that has affected oil consumption is the move to lighter motor oil. Oil use in the marketplace is shifting towards lightweight grades like 0W-20 to reduce friction and to better lubricate internal engine components in cold weather. This lighter oil has a tendency to get by the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. The use of these lighter motor oils has resulted in oil escaping through oil seals and gaskets, which is usually not a problem with heavier weight motor oil.
When Is Engine Oil Consumption Considered Excessive? James on Engines #6
From Honda: Honda Oils and Lubricants
Acceptable rates of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1,000km / 600 miles. Consumption can be higher when the engine is new.
So ..... you aren't doing too bad so far with oil consumption, compared to what it can be. Go with Valvoline Daily Protection 10W-30 mixed 50/50 with 5W-30 (has some synthetic blended in), for a cold Pour Point of about -33C

That should be good for -18C/0F ambient temperature easily.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My '05 with a 3.8L has used oil since day 1, and at a similar rate to what you're experiencing. Apparently it's just part of the way (at least some of) these engines work. In the 220,000 miles since, I have had very few powertrain problems that affected drivability. The engines of these vans should outlast the body in any climate where winter is actually below freezing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi!

You should be check next points under hood:
1. compression rate in each cylinder.
2. combustion chamber by endoscop, since ~1 hour after engine stop.
If valve is wet-may be SEAL Valve Guide (part number 04781072AB) damaged.
3. no liking in each injectors fuel.
4. PCV (see in youtube)

You can try to add bg109 in oil and run engine ( !!! NOT DRIVE !!!) at ~ 1200 rpm about 20 min and at idle about 20min.
Flush this oil and change new oil.

The best check procedure - disassemble engine ))

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are you saying that you use 1 qt every 2000 miles? And why is this a problem? Keep the oil topped off, and drive on.

Read again - "used 1/2 quart at 1000k, *then more as it starts to get dirtier"

Probelem? Well yes, consider: My 26 year old 205,xxx oem 4.3L Chev Astro needs no additional oil in 4000 miles.

No properly working engine should use even 1/2 qt at 1000 miles..........when it ONLY has 130K on it.

I might not be the best backyard mechanic, but I do have experience with R&D in vehicle engines, and oil consumption testing. Most modern engines with todays tighter tolerances dont "consume" this much measurable oil between changes. And many carry on this way past 175K to 200K. For this to happen at low milage (under 150K oil consumption is unusual in many brands, and usual in others). But for this to happen in suddenly in a 20K window, with no major leaks or blue puffs is wierd. Power feels the same. :)

Apparently its usual for some odd reason in Mopar 3.8's (?) And I figured some helpful person here might know why.

I installed a new PCV valve- not much oil use change.
----------------------------
Levy - That's a lot of oil. If it use more oil when it "gets dirty", you probably have one leaky injector.

I was wondering about stuff like that. Same MPG on same road to same job though. No exhaust engine sensor stuff going off. Runs smooth. Did go through plugged/stuck NAPA EGR valves, then use ORiely's house brand and its fine.

-------------------------------

Lighter ring tension per above post? But that would be from day one. This changed in 20K

--------------------------

Jeep - "Since about the 2005 model year, the 3.8L has a bit of a reputation for burning oil. The 3.8L was used in the Jeep Wranglers starting in 2007 and the Jeep crowd have complained profusely about oil consumption. Their best compromise was to go to 10W-30, I believe. Lots of information on those Jeep Wrangler Forums about the 3.8L's oil burning issue"

Well, there we go, thanks. Another mopar thing (ha ha)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
How much money are you going to spend fixing a problem that is not really a problem? Again, and with as much feeling as I can muster, keep it topped off, and drive on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your comments add nothing to this discussion. Asking a question does not cost money, thats why I asked. Sometimes oil use IS a problem with some vehicles. Maybe you should "drive on" if you cant be helpful and are just argumentative in general.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,676 Posts
Your comments add nothing to this discussion. Asking a question does not cost money, thats why I asked. Sometimes oil use IS a problem with some vehicles. Maybe you should "drive on" if you cant be helpful and are just argumentative in general.

Dude, Marvin's response was spot on, if you don't like it, maybe "you" should drive on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a lot of oil. If it use more oil when it "gets dirty", you probably have one leaky injector.
Changed your tune hu?

I changed the PCV valve at over 100K miles which is also basic maintenance. Spent no additional money and tried a different oil at change time.

Oil consumption can be an issue, yet asking this here seems to be an issues with some individuals. LOL. Not all brands/engines consume oil at this rate.

"Jeepman" was being helpful and let me know this is a question many others apparently have had. Remember, not everyone is Mopar mini-van Know-it-all.

My question was valid and needed no smart a$$ remarks.

Peace

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,676 Posts
What he meant was, don't worry, don't spend money on it, it is a known issue.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,676 Posts
You'll eventually know what each particular person wanted to say on their response. Marvin had been here a lot longer than you.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Oil burning could clog the cat. So it may be worth fixing, if possible. Unfortunately, it's hard to narrow down and it could be an expensive fix, soooo....

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Oil burning could clog the cat. So it may be worth fixing, if possible. Unfortunately, it's hard to narrow down and it could be an expensive fix, soooo....
That seems to be a nonissue. The amount is less than the industry standard of a quart in 750 miles or whatever.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I have been silenced, but before I go off into the sunset, I will say the following, using a qt of oil every 2K miles, is not using a lot of oil. Dude, you can certainly look for easy things to fix, but again, how much money will you spend on a non-issue. I will say no more, the Dude has silenced me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW my 05 grand caravan with the 3.8 has 195,000 miles on it. I got it at about 100,000 and have always used WalMart synthetic 5w-20. I typically change oil every 6000 miles and its never down more than 1/2 quart. I live in Florida and the temp only goes below freezing 1-2 times a year and then only down to 28 deg F or so. Dunno why I got lucky, but there it is.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts