The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 DGCV: ABS scan tool results: 1) BlueDriver: ok; 2) Actron CP9690 & 3) CP9660: ng

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 3.3L, 203.1K

Fyi...
Subject: Here are my results from using 3 scan tools in an attempt to read the 05 DGCV ABS module's codes
Results: BlueDriver succeeded; 2 Actron's failed

Summary of tested scan tool results:
ManufacturerModel #Results: communicating w/ ABS module only
LemurBlueDriverSuccess, DID communicate with the ABS module
ActronCP9690Failed, DID NOT communicate with the ABS module
ActronCP9660Failed,DID NOT communicate with the ABS module

Notes:
- As indicated below, I did NOT exhaustively try workarounds to get the Actron scan tools to read the ABS codes
- These results apply ONLY to this application: 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 3.3L, manufactured date = 05/2005, w/ Anti-lock brakes [BGF], w/ Midyear tracking [XZZ] and w/o Traction Control [BNM]

More details for the scan tools that were tested:
1) Scan tool #1:
- Manufacturer: Lemur
- Model: BlueDriver
- Manufacturer's info: https://www.bluedriver.com/products/bluedriver-scan-tool
- Version tested: Vehicle Protocol: J1850_VPW; Sensor F/W Version: v2.39; App Version: 6.12.2-b192
- Vehicle compatibility: here is their FAQ compatibility check page url (enter year/make/model/trim)... https://www.bluedriver.com/support#block-faq
- Cost: $99.95
- Installation/setup: cell phone application installation and bluetooth communication
- Scan results and notes:
A) Automatic year/make/model identification: YES, it DID recognize the correct vehicle
B) ODBII engine module communication: YES
C) Enhanced diagnostics: (communication w/ other modules)
- ABS codes: YES
- SRS (Airbag): YES
- Climate Control: TBD (did not see it, did not attempt workaround to find it)
- Live data: YES (only tested Ignition timing advance cyl #1 feature)​
- Notable features that I used on day #1:
- Send results report to email
- Saved reports: For re-review purposes, I recalled scan #1's result set after performing a total of 6 scans on 2 different vehicles​
- Other notes:
- Purchased date: 05/10/19
- Pic, manufacturer's sensor photo: Lemur.BlueDriver.SensorPic.jpg
- Pic, my Android application's main screen: BlueDriver.MainScreen.Screenshot_2019-05-12-23-16-13.jpg
- Pic, my 2005 DGCV scan results w/ the ABS code: BlueDriver.2005DGCV.ABSCodes.Screenshot_2019-05-12-23-13-46.jpg

2) Scan tool #2:
- Manufacturer: Actron
- Model: CP9690
- Manufacturer's info: https://actron.com/content/elite-autoscanner-kit-enhanced-obd-i-and-obd-ii-scan-tool
- Cost: $415.33
- Installation/setup: hardwired
A) Automatic year/make/model identification: YES, it DID recognize the correct vehicle
- ABS codes: NO
- Climate Control: (did not see it, did not attempt workaround to find it)
- Live data: (did not test)​
- Other notes:
- Purchased date: none, an Advance Auto employee conducted the test
- Pic: cp9690_elite_autoscanner_screen.jpg

3) Scan tool #3:
- Manufacturer: Actron
- Model: CP9660
- Manufacturer's info: https://actron.com/content/pocketscan-plus-abs-obd-ii-and-can-0
- Cost: $126.85
- Installation/setup: hardwired
- ABS codes: NO
- ABS work around attempts: Only tried one. I specified the exact vehicle year/make/model after it did not communicate with the ABS. Still NO communication.
- Climate Control: (did not see it, did not attempt workaround to find it)
- Live data: (did not test)​
- Other notes:
- Purchased date: 05/07/19 (returned 05/08/19)
- Pic: cp9660_pocketscan_plus_-_c0200.jpg

2005 DGCV ABS module details (for my vehicle only)
- Module description:

·
fix it if you can
4,688 Posts
If those Actron scan tools are upgradable, they probably need an update... (often times the tool you get was produced a number of years ago and has a very early firmware version).

The only "issue" with BlueDriver is that you have to trust Lemur with your privacy, they could easily collect and sell the info on what vehicles you work on (and any other OBD accessible parameters such as mileage, emissions state, codes, etc)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of my more recent Bluedriver notes:
  • Vehicle's I have successfully used my Bluedriver on:
    • 2005 DGCV: Engine codes=read & cleared; ABS=read & cleared; SRS=read (no codes present)
    • 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Engine codes=read & cleared; ABS=read & cleared; SRS=read (no codes present)
    • 2017 Ford Explorer: Engine codes=read; ABS=read; SRS=read; (no codes present for all)
    • Note: I own 1 Actron CP9690 & tried 2 other Actrons for 05 DGCV ABS w/o success... hopefully I will NOT need it again
  • Pros:
    • Free application downloads & updates: I use the Bluedriver Android application... no issues
    • Bluetooth communication: farewell to the Actron's cable to communicate
      • watch live data while operating the throttle under the hood & while driving
  • Purchases:
    • I liked my first Bluedriver so much, I gave my first Bluedriver to my son in law and purchased a second
    • I purchased both of my Bluedrivers from Amazon for $99, received both within 3 days w/ standard shipping to Northern NJ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jerseyhilltopper
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing