The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 3.8L in a '06T&C. I am one of the owners suffering from oil consumption to the tune of 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. Today I did an oil change and for grins, I pulled the air intake from the throttle body and wiped my finger inside the body just past the throttle plate. My finger came out darn near dripping with black oil gunk. Due to other engine issues, the throttle body had been completely cleaned at 50k miles. I am now at 70k. IS this black gunk in the air intake plenum normal?

My question is where does this oil gunk come from? My thoughts are that it has to be coming from the EGR valve. My thoughts are also wondering what would happen if I got rid of the EGR valve and blocked off all the plumbing? Any ideas or feedback?

·
fix it if you can
4,739 Posts
IS this black gunk in the air intake plenum normal?

My question is where does this oil gunk come from?

what would happen if I got rid of the EGR valve and blocked off all the plumbing?
Some buildup is normal, but what you're describing is not.

Check you PCV valve - it's a pain of job to replace on these vans but they are known to allow oil blow-by when the rubber seal around the valve hardens and 'shrinks'..

If you simply take off EGR and block it off, PCM will store a DTC and turn on MIL = fail at your next emissions test (if your state uses OBDII diagnostics test)

·
Registered
646 Posts
When I changed my PCV valve my oil consumption improved noticeably. I'd change that, pain or not. There's a lot of how-to tips on this forum.

I'm old enough to remember cars before Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems. Cars used what was called a road draft tube that sucked fumes out of the crankcase when the car was moving. It was common to see engines that were so sludged up that the oil couldn't find a way to drain back from the heads and would then leak through the valve guides into the intake ports. Serious smoke!! Since PCV, that sludging problem is all but gone. It's a good system; maintain it but don't remove it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Do you know the oil change history for your van, either done by you or a prior owner? In past cases of this situation, it's often turned out that oil maintenance was not up to par. But certainly not always the case, and not implying it's the problem with yours.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
I have the 3.8L in a '06T&C. I am one of the owners suffering from oil consumption to the tune of 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. Today I did an oil change and for grins, I pulled the air intake from the throttle body and wiped my finger inside the body just past the throttle plate. My finger came out darn near dripping with black oil gunk. Due to other engine issues, the throttle body had been completely cleaned at 50k miles. I am now at 70k. IS this black gunk in the air intake plenum normal?

My question is where does this oil gunk come from? My thoughts are that it has to be coming from the EGR valve. My thoughts are also wondering what would happen if I got rid of the EGR valve and blocked off all the plumbing? Any ideas or feedback?
If the fuel you are using has lots of additives that do not burn clean, what you see is completely normal. It is EGR tube placement in the intake right behind the throttle body that helps cause this. As well as the junk they are selling these days and calling it gasoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts