The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes a banging/knocking sound over some bumps (I mean it'll do it on one speed bumps but sometimes not the next) it is coming from the dash in a sort of central location but favoring the passenger side at first I suspected the worst being a strut but I have since come to think it may be something in the air box or dash itself because of the location

·
Registered
617 Posts
do you feel it in the floor pan?

it's most likely the sway-bar end links or bushings

nothing that deep inside the dash should make any kind of banging noise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you feel it in the floor pan?

it's most likely the sway-bar end links or bushings

nothing that deep inside the dash should make any kind of banging noise
No I don't feel anything in the car and I know it isn't the engine mounts as I recently replaced the water pump and I need to remove the mounts so I torqued them to spec myself when I was done

·
fix it if you can
4,806 Posts
Welcome aboard,
have you:
  • checked the glove box for loose items
  • verified the strut mount is intact on pass side (you can place your finger on the nut and rock the van gently while feeling to make sure there's no movement of the nut)
Also, look on the underside of wiper tray for tell tale signs of strut rod/nut impact...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard,
have you:
  • checked the glove box for loose items
  • verified the strut mount is intact on pass side (you can place your finger on the nut and rock the van gently while feeling to make sure there's no movement of the nut)
Also, look on the underside of wiper tray for tell tale signs of strut rod/nut impact...
Thanks for giving me the idea to check under the wiper platform because my strut but and bolt are making

·
3rd gen > all others
2,314 Posts
With contact, could be a broken upper strut mount. Seen it before on this forum. There are 3 holes around the nut inside the plate of the mount, and it cracks from one hole to the next. Then it breaks free and you have no shock action on bumps (that corner will just bounce). Can make for a tricky disassembly/repair in trying to do it safely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With contact, could be a broken upper strut mount. Seen it before on this forum. There are 3 holes around the nut inside the plate of the mount, and it cracks from one hole to the next. Then it breaks free and you have no shock action on bumps (that corner will just bounce). Can make for a tricky disassembly/repair in trying to do it safely.
So I'm gonna post a picture of both struts from the top crowns under the hood and see if I can get a confirmation of these photos also it does feel like its bouncy more than just sort of slamming into the ground like it would with a bad strut

·
fix it if you can
4,806 Posts
This is called "blown out" strut mount - the top plate of the mount failed and nothing is holding the strut rod in place...

Unless you have access to a good spring compressor, either take the van to a shop and let them deal with it or take the assembly to a shop along with a new mount and have them change it out for you.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,314 Posts
Don't jack up the front unless you have spring compressors! The spring will push the strut down and away from the van, and outward and you won't be able to get it back together again. There was a van at the junkyard yesterday with this very problem, and probably why it was junked. Top of strut was jammed outward from the fender/wheel opening with a spring coil still around it - unable to get it apart. Lots of stored potential energy there. The yard probably should've cut the spring with a torch before setting it out, to prevent someone from injuring themselves (self-service U-Pull-it yard).

Funny thing, the 5th gen vans don't have those holes in their upper strut mount plates. Chrysler must have seen the error of their ways. Too bad the aftermarket manufacturers just copy the OEM design. I'd prefer a solid plate and a rubber cap to keep water out in the first place.

·
fix it if you can
4,806 Posts
Good point,
I've only seen ones where the rod 'rips out' the center of the plate and the nut would still keep the assembly together. However, not knowing the condition of the top plate one should certainly take precautions.

I'd probably want to take the cowl off and put a couple of thick washers over the mount (under the nut) to hold it all in place...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I didn't plan to I am a mechanic apprentice with Dodge but without all the tools I need for that job so I'm gonna let my certified mechanic handle it now that I know what it is ty all

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
I wouldnt drive it like that.
My strut failed exactly like yours 2 months ago, and it folded up like the Back to The Future DeLorean tires when I pulled into a parking spot.

Please excuse my embarrassingly bald tire, I was waiting to buy new tires, when I changed wheel size, when I replaced the entire front suspension with 4th Gen parts. Ended up doing it all that week...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt drive it like that.
My strut failed exactly like yours 2 months ago, and it folded up like the Back to The Future DeLorean tires when I pulled into a parking spot.

View attachment 56824

View attachment 56825
View attachment 56826

Please excuse my embarrassingly bald tire, I was waiting to buy new tires, when I changed wheel size, when I replaced the entire front suspension with 4th Gen parts. Ended up doing it all that week...
That looks more like your strut rod sheared off near the dust boot then what happened to me

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
That looks more like your strut rod sheared off near the dust boot then what happened to me
The mount broke, the strut rod still had the nut and a piece of the mount attached to it. KYB Strut, maybe 5 years old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts