337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To upgrade to the HIDS, you need the following:
HID lights/ballasts
2 wiring kits. Part number is 68045319AA
1 relay kit. A basic relay will work.

This is how to wire it up...

http://public.fotki.com/Concorde300M/caravan-hid/hid-install.html

If you scroll through the pictures you can see how they look.

You also might need a 470 Micro Farad cap going from the positive headlight feed and ground. I am not sure if this is the case. I installed it because I read that the Challenger needed it. It is supposed to stop the lights from flickering, but the T&C lights needed the relay set up.

Here is how I installed the HIDs in my 2011 Grand Caravan.

Start by removing the bumper cover. There are 2 bolts above the grill, and there is one on each side in the wheel well. There are also 2 screws on each side. There are about 8 christmas tree fasteners that just pull out on the bottom of the cover. Pull the bumper cover off from the bottom. Use caution to not break the plastic tabs that hold the cover to the fender. (If you do it's not that big of a deal, I broke both of mine and you can't tell.

Once you have the cover off there is a reinforcement in front of the lights. Remove or loosen this to get the headlight out, and put the new one in. Installation is the reverse.

One thing to note, if both the lights do not turn on on the first attempt every time, you might need to change the feed wire to the relay like I did. The one that came with it was not big enough to ignite both lights at the same time. A thicker wire fixed that.

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any questions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Concorde300M, this is absolutely awesome. Thanks so much for the info and pics!! I'm looking for a set of OEM HID headlamp assemblies now; appears eBay may be the best place to look unless you have other suggestions/sources. Did you install HID in your foglamps as well? Your GC looks great. I really appreciate your help and can't wait to install on my T&C.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, in the fog lights I have some LEDs. They are not bright at all and I am not sure I like them. They also have a weird thing that when I unlock the car, they come on really dim (you can't see it during the day) and stay on until the computer goes to sleep (about a minute). I guess they are getting a stray voltage.

I found ebay to be the cheapest, but they are hard to come by in good shape. Another place I buy from is http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ or http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html?gclid=CM-byLG7lqoCFRHGKgodNF5Iyg. Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were no instructions as they were used OEM lights. Without the relay, the lights turn on when the car is off, but when the car is started, they just flicker. I have read on the LX forums that there is something in the cars software that thinks the headlight is burned out (because HIDs have a lower voltage draw when powered on) and keeps trying to turn them on, but I have not confirmed that is the case. I did try it without the relay though and I can tell you that you for sure need it.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bulb from the OEM T&C is a d1s, what kit did you buy in order to convert it from the h11 harness in the GC?
I used Chrysler part number 68045319AA, cut the h11 connectors off and wired it as described above. Still working almost 4 years and 2 vans later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there, would it be possible to do another write or another wire diagram.. or if you had any pictures of the install, the link no longer works. I am about to score a pair of oem hid headlights with bulbs and ballasts. I will need to order the wiring kits though and it looks like a realy kit. Will this be pretty much plug and play or will there by splicing and soddering etc? Will the auto on still work etc... Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diagram Joint

Here is how I wired it up. I never did take any pictures, which was dumb since I moved them from my 2011 to my 2016, but oh well. If you have any questions, let me know!

Reactions: andy.schmidt87

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
It still blows me away how easy it is to get HIDs to work on these vans with no problems. I've had them on our van for a year now with ZERO problems.

I have one of the best setups on my Caliber, and I still get an occasional flicker, and when going from high beams to low beams, I lose all lighting momentarily - assuming the low beams turn on again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You'll need to make an H11 to 68045319AA harness. With 500mF capacitors in parallel to smooth out the PWM signal. The OEM HID ballasts screw in to the bottom of the housings w/ the connector inside. There will be a cable installed that connects to the ballast that runs to the outside of the housing where the 68045319AA cable connects too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you program the setting "HID Enable" from "Not Set" = Halogen to "Set" in the TIPM --> TIPM Reconfigurable Parameters then no additional relay or capacitor is necessary. No flickering. I have swaped my Halogen to HID with headlamp washer and automatic headlamp leveling.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you program the setting "HID Enable" from "Not Set" = Halogen to "Set" in the TIPM --> TIPM Reconfigurable Parameters then no additional relay or capacitor is necessary. No flickering. I have swaped my Halogen to HID with headlamp washer and automatic headlamp leveling.
These parts aren't available in North America as far as I know.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Correct, headlamp washers (sales code JHS) and automatic headlamp leveling (sales code JKJ) are necessary in europe. The Halogen and HID headlamps have in the housing a leveling Motor. So I could not make a simple swap and must added JHS and JKJ first. But JHS is a closed system and work with halogen and HID. The same is for JKJ. This work with Halogen and HID.

But the programming of the TIPM for Halogen or HID is in US- and European cars identically. The setting "HID Enable" shut up the PWM-Signal on the wires to the lowbeams. The flickering of the HIDs then disappears.

After I removed the halogen headlamps and installed the HID headlamps I immediately got two DTCs "B162B LEFT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW" and "B162F RIGHT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW" in the TIPM. The previously installed halogen headlights needed the PWM signal. The HIDs dont need this PWM signal. I changed the setting "HID Enable" from "Not Set" to "Set" in the section "TIPM reconfigurable Parameters" of the TIPM). The two DTCs changed from "active" to "stored" and could be deleted and never came back. The HIDs also do not flicker.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How would one enable this? If HID is enabled, would that eliminate the need for the relay? Just use the wire kit to plug the headlights right into the h11 sockets and it works?
The dealer would need to do this for probably $100-$150. Or you spend $500 on a tool+software to do it yourself. The capacitors will cost and connectors required for an adapter harness will cost about $5.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, the wirekit is necessary. But a normal dealer can not program this setting, because they uses Witech and witech can not change entries in "TIPM reconfigurable paramateres". You must know a guy who has CDA or Autoenginuity with Chrysler Enhancement (upcoming version 14.1.2 will support this - at the moment in Alpha status)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts