The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
Correct, headlamp washers (sales code JHS) and automatic headlamp leveling (sales code JKJ) are necessary in europe. The Halogen and HID headlamps have in the housing a leveling Motor. So I could not make a simple swap and must added JHS and JKJ first. But JHS is a closed system and work with halogen and HID. The same is for JKJ. This work with Halogen and HID.

But the programming of the TIPM for Halogen or HID is in US- and European cars identically. The setting "HID Enable" shut up the PWM-Signal on the wires to the lowbeams. The flickering of the HIDs then disappears.

After I removed the halogen headlamps and installed the HID headlamps I immediately got two DTCs "B162B LEFT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW" and "B162F RIGHT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW" in the TIPM. The previously installed halogen headlights needed the PWM signal. The HIDs dont need this PWM signal. I changed the setting "HID Enable" from "Not Set" to "Set" in the section "TIPM reconfigurable Parameters" of the TIPM). The two DTCs changed from "active" to "stored" and could be deleted and never came back. The HIDs also do not flicker.
I need to review the settings for this on my Caliber....would be great to kill these issues.

Our van has been perfect with the HID retrofit tho. I don't think I have changed any of this on the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
chrystelr300m, Can we get a new link from the original post? Very interested in trying this on my '12 T&C. I plan on getting OEM projectors (want the factory look). The wiring harness part number you originally listed, is that OEM? What kind of relay is needed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just trying to bump this thread back up and see if we can't get a reply to the last (latest) post (in reference to either repairing the link in the original post, or anyone being able to re-write or re-post the wiring "how-to" for this project / modification). Any help or direction what so ever would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure how I missed the requests from before, but here is the original picture of the wiring. The relay served me well for 5 years but finally died. Of course it happened on a rainy day when I needed the headlights. Instead of putting a new relay I bought some of those "decoders" which are made for HID lights or LED lights to get rid of the flicker. Those lasted a few months and died. Bought new ones with the same result.

Then I discovered the DIAGFCA app and ALPHAOBD, and was able to enable HIDS in the TIPM, so they were now plug and play. THIS is the method I would recommend, as its the simplest and least likely to fail.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

Reactions: lowfat and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Then I discovered the DIAGFCA app and ALPHAOBD, and was able to enable HIDS in the TIPM, so they were now plug and play. THIS is the method I would recommend, as its the simplest and least likely to fail.
Hope this helps...
Please forgive my lack of Chrysler knowledge... Could you please list (if it's not too much trouble) updated/totaled, what all is needed to be done/purchased/installed - outside of the OBD/Programming you mentioned can be done via the Apps you listed...

Have been a lifelong GM die hard (was even a technician at a GM (chevy) dealership for over 7 years up until the decline / recession...
My wife recently enhereted a 2014 T&C Touring, well kept, extremely low miles, and has a lot of great features... but is grossly lacking very specific/basic features that we have been used to on lesser outfitted GM prouducts... It blows my mind that this vehicle does not have basic remote start... the packages seem to make absolutely no sense to me... DVD player with flip down screen and fancy LED interior track/accent lighting but no Navigation/GPS what so ever? I honestly cannot recall having ever owned a vehicle that was not cloth and did not have heated seats or remote start....
Anyway, rant over, extremely excited to learn more about these vehicles and hopefully put a thing or two to good use and score some points with my wife by correcting/adding/modifying features she is greatly missing/wanting...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Please forgive my lack of Chrysler knowledge... Could you please list (if it's not too much trouble) updated/totaled, what all is needed to be done/purchased/installed - outside of the OBD/Programming you mentioned can be done via the Apps you listed...
Sorry, I am Not sure what else you need. Everything needed for this mod is listed in the first post (I’m the original post).

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
Not sure how I missed the requests from before, but here is the original picture of the wiring. The relay served me well for 5 years but finally died. Of course it happened on a rainy day when I needed the headlights. Instead of putting a new relay I bought some of those "decoders" which are made for HID lights or LED lights to get rid of the flicker. Those lasted a few months and died. Bought new ones with the same result.

Hope this helps...
I think we've got a bulb or ballast on it's way out, the driver's side will not turn on sometimes, (have to turn headlights off and back on again) and swapping relays doesn't correct it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think we've got a bulb or ballast on it's way out, the driver's side will not turn on sometimes, (have to turn headlights off and back on again) and swapping relays doesn't correct it.
How are they wired?. When I used the relay method above I had that issue with the passenger side. I had to use a thicker wire to correct that.

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
How are they wired?. When I used the relay method above I had that issue with the passenger side. I had to use a thicker wire to correct that.
TRS kit.

It's been problem free (except for a relay that died) until now. Will swap stuff around when I see it again in a couple months.

·
Registered
282 Posts
TRS kit.

It's been problem free (except for a relay that died) until now. Will swap stuff around when I see it again in a couple months.
IIRC most of their relay harnesses do use separate relays for each side, but I doubt that is the issue. A relay generally completely dies when it fails. Do you have a multimeter or a test light and can you easily reach the ballasts? Next time it happens you could try to measure the voltage @ the connectors going in to the ballasts, if nothing, its a relay/wiring. If you have voltage, try disconnecting the igniter from the bulb and try to turn on the lights, if you hear a 'ZZZZST' then the ballast is probably good. Also take a look at the ignitors, if you see burning marks on the contacts, then replace them. But the Morimoto D2S igniters are fantastic, honestly the reason I stick w/ their ballasts. So it would be the bulb. But HIDs don't really fail often, they just get progressively less bright.

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
IIRC most of their relay harnesses do use separate relays for each side, but I doubt that is the issue. A relay generally completely dies when it fails. Do you have a multimeter or a test light and can you easily reach the ballasts? Next time it happens you could try to measure the voltage @ the connectors going in to the ballasts, if nothing, its a relay/wiring. If you have voltage, try disconnecting the igniter from the bulb and try to turn on the lights, if you hear a 'ZZZZST' then the ballast is probably good. Also take a look at the ignitors, if you see burning marks on the contacts, then replace them. But the Morimoto D2S igniters are fantastic, honestly the reason I stick w/ their ballasts. So it would be the bulb. But HIDs don't really fail often, they just get progressively less bright.
Yes, thankfully there are separate relays for each side. When the one relay died last year, it was a simple swap to a new one to get it all working again, but the other light still worked in the interim.

If I remember to take my multimeter with me I can test that when I'm with the van again. The bulb is great once it turns on (full brightness) so I suspect it may be wiring or ballast as I've replaced the relay, and even swapped relays side to side, and it is always the driver's side that doesn't immediately fire the first time. I'll be in the USA when I do all this, so getting new stuff will be much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hope this helps...
Which one did you use? The Appcar DiagFCA system or the AlfaOBD ? It looks like the Appcar DiagFCA only runs on a windows PC; whereas the AlfaOBD will run on an android phone or windows PC. Do you have experience with both of these apps in terms of enabling HIDS in the TIPM ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Which one did you use? The Appcar DiagFCA system or the AlfaOBD ? It looks like the Appcar DiagFCA only runs on a windows PC; whereas the AlfaOBD will run on an android phone or windows PC. Do you have experience with both of these apps in terms of enabling HIDS in the TIPM ?

Both will do this. The appcar is a lot more user friendly though, and works better in my opinion. The alpha does more stuff and works on more than one vehicle, but I usually have to send the command a few times before it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both will do this. The appcar is a lot more user friendly though, and works better in my opinion. The alpha does more stuff and works on more than one vehicle, but I usually have to send the command a few times before it works.
Great I will call them and then most likely order it. I will post pics throughout the process in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know what size screws these are that bolt the ballast onto the headlight? I need to order some because these are not coming with the ballasts that I ordered nor the headlight assemblies.
Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Electrical supply

21 - 40 of 57 Posts