The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows a place/or someone in Columbus OH able to program OEM HID lamps to 2010 Town Country we have? I had spoken to 2 dealers in town and was told cant do it. Brief story, I have 2010 Town Country that was in collision and replaced the whole front with donor parts from similar car, unfortunately the donor came with HID lamps and mine had halogen originally. I swapped wiring to match hid setup but lamps just flicker when the car is running, they do work when the car is off and ignition is on. Coming to this forum is a last resort of sorts before I go and buy a set of halogen lamps and put back everything the way it was. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
To upgrade to the HIDS, you need the following:
HID lights/ballasts
2 wiring kits. Part number is 68045319AA
1 relay kit. A basic relay will work.

This is how to wire it up...

http://public.fotki.com/Concorde300M/caravan-hid/hid-install.html

If you scroll through the pictures you can see how they look.

You also might need a 470 Micro Farad cap going from the positive headlight feed and ground. I am not sure if this is the case. I installed it because I read that the Challenger needed it. It is supposed to stop the lights from flickering, but the T&C lights needed the relay set up.

Here is how I installed the HIDs in my 2011 Grand Caravan.

Start by removing the bumper cover. There are 2 bolts above the grill, and there is one on each side in the wheel well. There are also 2 screws on each side. There are about 8 christmas tree fasteners that just pull out on the bottom of the cover. Pull the bumper cover off from the bottom. Use caution to not break the plastic tabs that hold the cover to the fender. (If you do it's not that big of a deal, I broke both of mine and you can't tell.

Once you have the cover off there is a reinforcement in front of the lights. Remove or loosen this to get the headlight out, and put the new one in. Installation is the reverse.

One thing to note, if both the lights do not turn on on the first attempt every time, you might need to change the feed wire to the relay like I did. The one that came with it was not big enough to ignite both lights at the same time. A thicker wire fixed that.

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any questions!
I followed your wiring diagram and was able to get the headlights to stay on after the T&C was started but they are flickering and I am going to redo with a higher gauge wire tonight but I am wondering if I need to add the 470 Micro Farad but wondered how and where you installed them? I did not see anything in the wiring diagram and I am mostly flying by the seat of my pants lol. I am using OEM HID headlights off of a 2008 T&C.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You dont need to add everything. You need the right programming for HID in the TIPM. Thats all. Change the setting for "HID Enable" in the module TIPMCGW, section "TIPM Reconfigurable Parameters" from "Non Set" to "Set" and you dont have flickering

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Steffen is right it’s much easier to add the settings in AlphaOBD OR DIAGFCA. Sorry it’s been years since I’ve installed that and I don’t have my caravan anymore. I found the capacitor idea from looking at a charger forum for adding HID lights.

Also the relay I wired up ended up failing on me after a few years. Another idea is to use the anti-flicker module from Amazon for led lights. Just carry an extra!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Okay so to bump This post again. Does anybody know if the headlight housings are the same and it not can someone provide me the part numbers for those headlight assemblies for the HID installs. I can program them and get them to work just with plug and play but need the headlight assemblies is all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Okay so to bump This post again. Does anybody know if the headlight housings are the same and it not can someone provide me the part numbers for those headlight assemblies for the HID installs. I can program them and get them to work just with plug and play but need the headlight assemblies is all. Thanks in advance.
Yes. 2008-2016 town and country and 2011-2020 Grand Caravan headlights are the same.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes. 2008-2016 town and country and 2011-2020 Grand Caravan headlights are the same.
I was kinda asking if the halagon vs the Hid headlight assemblies are the same but right after I posted it I found out they are different Due to the bulb being different but yes Yes the Town and country has Hid assembles and from what I see the Grand caravans dont however they fit in the same way and those will work on the grand caravan and I found those part numbers right after I posted this question.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bumping this thread with a question.

I found some Town & Country projector housings with ballast and bulbs that I installed on my 2014 GC.

I got the 4 pin connectors from the donor van and wired them with a H11 connector to connect to the factory wiring harness.

Used FCADIAG to set the TIPM

Turned everything on and they worked. Briefly.

Drivers side light shut off after it got to temp and the drivers side ballast feels warmer than the passenger side.

Does the install sound correct? And if the ballast got hot is it likely the ballast or could a bad bulb cause the issue?

I've ordered new bulbs but I'm not excited about replacing a ballast.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,972 Posts
Bumping this thread with a question.

I found some Town & Country projector housings with ballast and bulbs that I installed on my 2014 GC.

I got the 4 pin connectors from the donor van and wired them with a H11 connector to connect to the factory wiring harness.

Used FCADIAG to set the TIPM

Turned everything on and they worked. Briefly.

Drivers side light shut off after it got to temp and the drivers side ballast feels warmer than the passenger side.

Does the install sound correct? And if the ballast got hot is it likely the ballast or could a bad bulb cause the issue?

I've ordered new bulbs but I'm not excited about replacing a ballast.

Thanks!
So the passenger side works fine or are they both out? Ensure you wired the new connectors correctly for + and -, not sure what happens if you wire ballasts backwards but I wouldn't want to try it.

Ballasts do fail, and so do bulbs. If the bulb worked briefly then shut off, sounds like it would be the ballast not the bulb, unless you wired the ballast backwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Passenger side still works yeah.

Everything is of dubious junk yard quality haha.

I'm going to try swapping the passenger bulb over tomorrow and see if it works that should tell me. But yeah I think it's the ballast as well.

Luckily I think I can get the drivers side ballast out without removing the headlight.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,972 Posts
Passenger side still works yeah.

Everything is of dubious junk yard quality haha.

I'm going to try swapping the passenger bulb over tomorrow and see if it works that should tell me. But yeah I think it's the ballast as well.

Luckily I think I can get the drivers side ballast out without removing the headlight.
Since you ordered new bulbs sure try the passenger bulb on the driver side, but if the first one failed so fast I'd say it will kill the other bulb too then you won't have a spare.

I got lucky and found an extra set of HID assemblies, but the ballasts do produce less light overtime so I'll likely sell the extra set and buy new ballasts. I'm also upgrading the projectors to EVOX-R, and hopefully buy the HID nigh breakers too so in theory I'll have the brightest headlights on the road. If you polish the headlight lenses it will make a massive difference too, and look so much better!
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
201 Posts
Since you ordered new bulbs sure try the passenger bulb on the driver side, but if the first one failed so fast I'd say it will kill the other bulb too then you won't have a spare.

I got lucky and found an extra set of HID assemblies, but the ballasts do produce less light overtime so I'll likely sell the extra set and buy new ballasts. I'm also upgrading the projectors to EVOX-R, and hopefully buy the HID nigh breakers too so in theory I'll have the brightest headlights on the road. If you polish the headlight lenses it will make a massive difference too, and look so much better!
View attachment 68697

Thats what I wanted to do however the projectors dont come out at all unless you drill the rivets out inside the assembly. That means a bunch of metal shavings get everywhere and now you got dirt all over inside the lens. Not good. Now my lenses are shot so I was going to use my aftermarket assemblies to open up since those open easily due to Butyl and the OEM ones do not, but then the mounts broke so now they need gluing back. All and all I think wiht halogen LED bulbs and OEM reflectors you get the brightest light possible. The OEM Hella Projector is kinda lame in terms of output etc. AN upgrade is deff a must I just wish I could extract it easier, some cut the housing which will make things easier however the legs that will be used to mount the EVO X need to be shortened so some grinding will be required. The only solution would be to use RS6 projectors instead which also feature chrome bowls and have one of the best high beams but are not very wide.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,972 Posts
Thats what I wanted to do however the projectors dont come out at all unless you drill the rivets out inside the assembly. That means a bunch of metal shavings get everywhere and now you got dirt all over inside the lens. Not good. Now my lenses are shot so I was going to use my aftermarket assemblies to open up since those open easily due to Butyl and the OEM ones do not, but then the mounts broke so now they need gluing back. All and all I think wiht halogen LED bulbs and OEM reflectors you get the brightest light possible. The OEM Hella Projector is kinda lame in terms of output etc. AN upgrade is deff a must I just wish I could extract it easier, some cut the housing which will make things easier however the legs that will be used to mount the EVO X need to be shortened so some grinding will be required. The only solution would be to use RS6 projectors instead which also feature chrome bowls and have one of the best high beams but are not very wide.
I drilled out the nuggets sitting down and the headlight pointing to the roof, that way no metal shavings would get into the assembly itself. The new EVOX-R's come with screws holding everything together, which I removed then placed all the parts into the housing and using a hook pick I aligned all the parts, then used zip ties in place of all the screws.

In terms of the size you're right about the space, it has to do with the new lens itself which has a higher magnification, but the tip of the lens is the same height as the OEM.
Tableware Drinkware Barware Kitchen appliance Serveware

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Liquid Automotive design Water

I think I can live with the gap, it's not very big. The light output between the OEM projectors and these new ones is a huge difference, and to add the bulbs in the EVOX are older and more faded then the ones in my van;
Tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Automotive tire

Wood Gas Tints and shades Electricity Metal

LED's are bright, however the thing I like about projectors is the spread to the sides and sharp cutoff. In comparison to my LED's I had in my halogen housings What did you do to your vehicle today, the HID's may have been quite dim (old bulbs, faded headlight lenses too), but the LED's didn't have a very good side spread.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I drilled out the nuggets sitting down and the headlight pointing to the roof, that way no metal shavings would get into the assembly itself. The new EVOX-R's come with screws holding everything together, which I removed then placed all the parts into the housing and using a hook pick I aligned all the parts, then used zip ties in place of all the screws.

In terms of the size you're right about the space, it has to do with the new lens itself which has a higher magnification, but the tip of the lens is the same height as the OEM.
View attachment 68721

View attachment 68722

I think I can live with the gap, it's not very big. The light output between the OEM projectors and these new ones is a huge difference, and to add the bulbs in the EVOX are older and more faded then the ones in my van;
View attachment 68723

View attachment 68724

LED's are bright, however the thing I like about projectors is the spread to the sides and sharp cutoff. In comparison to my LED's I had in my halogen housings What did you do to your vehicle today, the HID's may have been quite dim (old bulbs, faded headlight lenses too), but the LED's didn't have a very good side spread.

Thanks for posting those pictures, I was not sure how much the difference was. Seems like it wont be a problem. Also I want to note its not the ballast that looses output, its the salts in the bulb that burn off mostly due to warm ups, so this is why I never leave my lamps on Auto because they would turn on and then off under every overpass, big no no for life longevity. Bulbs are what you want to get right. It is possible to use a different ballast with D2S bulbs and some 50W ballsats to gain extra output. OEM spec is 3200lm but with the 50W system you will be more around 4400lm. You can find some DL50 Bulbs from Philips those can be cranked to even higher wattage but heat becomes an issue. Looks like I may have to go order me some projectors and go swap some in my housings.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,972 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures, I was not sure how much the difference was. Seems like it wont be a problem. Also I want to note its not the ballast that looses output, its the salts in the bulb that burn off mostly due to warm ups, so this is why I never leave my lamps on Auto because they would turn on and then off under every overpass, big no no for life longevity. Bulbs are what you want to get right. It is possible to use a different ballast with D2S bulbs and some 50W ballsats to gain extra output. OEM spec is 3200lm but with the 50W system you will be more around 4400lm. You can find some DL50 Bulbs from Philips those can be cranked to even higher wattage but heat becomes an issue. Looks like I may have to go order me some projectors and go swap some in my housings.
Yeah I realized yesterday how much of a difference the bulb really makes when comparing the OEM housing with better bulb to the housing with evox that has an older weaker bulb, which left me unsatisfied and made me pull out one from my headlights and try it out sometime later. Unfair comparison as the angle wasn't the same (evox sat ontop the battery).
This is the OEM projector (pass side only, better HID bulb, and polished clear lens)
Water Water resources Sky Wind wave Lake

This is the EVOX-R housing, (pass side only, older HID bulb lighter color, weathered/scratched lens, and sitting onto the battery)
Water Cloud Asphalt Sky Road surface

Here's comparing them on a driveway after pulling the newer HID bulb and putting it into the EVOX-r housing. OEM bottom, EVOX top;
Cabinetry Kitchen appliance Refrigerator Wood Rectangle

I think the OEM are actually pretty decent, but the cutoff line is definitely way more impressive on the evox, and so is the hot spot and a bit wider then oem. I'm probably going to buy the Osram nigh-breakers at some point down the line too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So my problem was definitely the ballast. Bought a cheap one off Amazon along with some new Hella bulbs.

Everything works now though I don't expect this cheap ballast to last long, so I will look for a better quality replacement in the meantime.

But for now it works. Very happy with it for what it cost

41 - 57 of 57 Posts