The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2008 T&C with the 3.8 engine. While I know this is not a flex fuel, which really bums me out, I am wondering if anyone has tried E85 with this engine and what the results were.

Thanks.

Josh

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
It'll work, but I would wait until your warranty is up.

Your check engine light will come on. If you really want to use E85, alternate every half tank, so you are only using half a tank at a time (sort of E50 or so). That way you are not running the engine too lean. That would be a problem.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2008 T&C with the 3.8 engine. While I know this is not a flex fuel, which really bums me out, I am wondering if anyone has tried E85 with this engine and what the results were.

Thanks.

Josh
Josh, if you are the original owner... chances are you have the limited lifetime powertrain warranty. E-85 is not an approved fuel. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, good point as I am the original owner and have the lifetime warranty. I was more curious if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

Josh

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Jeff, good point as I am the original owner and have the lifetime warranty. I was more curious if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

Josh
I get around 2 more MPG by using pure gasoline, yes one station around here still has it, than I do on E-10. So I wouldn't run E-85 in my van, even if it was approved, due to the lower fuel economy.

You could give it a try. Best case, just lower MPG but no problems. Worse case, it fries an 02 sensor, injector, or some other expensive item. I wouldn't recommend trying it.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
I should also add that, technically speaking, it is illegal to run E-85 in a non-FFV vehicle.

That being said, my 86 Dodge Ram runs fine on it. I can't track mileage in it due to the incorrect tire size, but it runs fine on it.

Both of my other vehicles (02 Voyager, and 07 Silverado) are FFV. There is a substantial loss of MPG using E85, however, if there is at least a $0.30 discount on the E85, you are break even on the usage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah e85 has less energy as it burns so your motor has to use more of it.(you get less miles on a tank) The plus side is e85's octane rating is well above 100... I believe its like 106.
cars that are built for e85 generally have larger fuel injectors ect.... Unless you get more than a 20% cost savings you probably will use all the savings in fuel being burnt. Plus you run the risk of leaning the car out without the larger injectors and tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts