The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
135k miles

My car has been running perfect except one thing... there is a mild annoying vibration coming into the steering wheel! It happens in all gears (but reverse is the worst), it seems to get less vibraty when accelerating. Car has 4 new aftermarket motor mounts from Anchor. Checked for exhaust leaks, appears to be none. The tailpipe does seem to be vibrating pretty harsh, looks like the engine is transmitting it. Car also has new muffler and CAT.

All plugs, wires & coilpack are new. All injectors cleaned/tested. Examined harmonic balancer, doesn't seem to be wobbling. I'm at my wits end. I think it might be a ****ed up valve but I'm not sure how to isolate. The engine doesn't appear to be missing, or at least fully missing. Car is not throwing any codes. Steering wheel feels like you can feel everything in the road. Any ideas on where I should start? My hands are tingly!:eek:

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
193 Posts
Did you tighten the engine and transmission mount bolts with weight applied to them? Sometimes if you tighten the thru bolts or other bolts with no load on the mounts the mount doesn’t seat properly. Another thing you can do is to loosen the mount bolts and rev the engine a few times to make everything settles where it naturally wants to go, then tighten all the bolts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you tighten the engine and transmission mount bolts with weight applied to them? Sometimes if you tighten the thru bolts or other bolts with no load on the mounts the mount doesn’t seat properly. Another thing you can do is to loosen the mount bolts and rev the engine a few times to make everything settles where it naturally wants to go, then tighten all the bolts.
Ty, I will try this with all my mounts. I'm also just going to buy OEM ones, heard that aftermarket is usually a lot stiffer.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
OEM mounts are the best solution. I used the aftermarket ones with no success.

Also, have you done a leak down test and a compression test? The tester kit is less than 50.00 last time I checked at Harbor Freight. That way you will know for sure if you have a cylinder with low compression.

IMO, your mileage is very low to have a piston ring problem, but the only way to tell is compression test to isolate the cylinder and then do a wet test to see if it is indeed the rings. Otherwise it is most likely a burnt exhaust valve.

Having said that, IMO that would be a worst case situation. Have you cleaned your TB?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you are not getting any codes, misfire seems somewhat unlikely. Do you have a scan tool that you have access to - so you can count misfires and/or problematic cylinders to narrow down your issue?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Anchor mounts are just as good as OEM. Some companies make weak mounts, but not Anchor.

Since the vibration is worse in reverse, it could be the isolator bushing on the front of the crossmember. When in reverse, the twisting of the drivetrain will force the front down. If that busing is worn, it will wobble a bit. Easy to check with someone holding the brake in reverse and lightly pressing the throttle, while you look under the front bumper. As long as your axles don't touch the frame when lifted (with new mounts, they shouldn't), you can do this on jack stands to make it even easier and safer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have 3 anchor mounts and one DEA mount. The dea mount is the transmission mount and the rest are anchor. I don’t have any excessive vibration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, here is what my drive system looks like. The tensioner is chattering and the harmonic balancer doesn't seem to be spinning so straight! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Anchor mounts are just as good as OEM. Some companies make weak mounts, but not Anchor.

Since the vibration is worse in reverse, it could be the isolator bushing on the front of the crossmember. When in reverse, the twisting of the drivetrain will force the front down. If that busing is worn, it will wobble a bit. Easy to check with someone holding the brake in reverse and lightly pressing the throttle, while you look under the front bumper. As long as your axles don't touch the frame when lifted (with new mounts, they shouldn't), you can do this on jack stands to make it even easier and safer.
:D

Are you referring to this?

Human body Font Auto part Parallel Elbow

I see the Mopar part online for around $50, it's a screw with a little rubber on it. Must be made of Mopars mystical patented formula.:D

If you are not getting any codes, misfire seems somewhat unlikely. Do you have a scan tool that you have access to - so you can count misfires and/or problematic cylinders to narrow down your issue?
/

I've hooked a scantool up to it and I get 0 misfires all around in every data section and no records of misfires.

OEM mounts are the best solution. I used the aftermarket ones with no success.

Also, have you done a leak down test and a compression test? The tester kit is less than 50.00 last time I checked at Harbor Freight. That way you will know for sure if you have a cylinder with low compression.

IMO, your mileage is very low to have a piston ring problem, but the only way to tell is compression test to isolate the cylinder and then do a wet test to see if it is indeed the rings. Otherwise it is most likely a burnt exhaust valve.

Having said that, IMO that would be a worst case situation. Have you cleaned your TB?
Compression test was done, all cylinders are around 185 with no more than 5 psi difference. Leak down test wasn't done yet, it's on the chopping block. Exhaust through tailpipe was tested with a paper towel, no air appears to be sucking back in. Throttle body was cleaned with throttle body cleaner and a rag, the metal valve was manually moved to clean in and around it. Can of seafoam was also used through the intake.

I'm probably going to do mount thru bolt loosen and engine rev to settle & bushing check, then leakdown test, if it passes then harmonic balancer, if unresolved then maybe will check cam & crankshaft sensors, if unresolved then will have to deal with the vibration until I either sell it or engine dies. :LOL:

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
:D

Are you referring to this?

View attachment 64826

I see the Mopar part online for around $50, it's a screw with a little rubber on it. Must be made of Mopars mystical patented formula.:D
No, this. The part that bolt runs through. DEA #A5542

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, this. The part that bolt runs through. DEA #A5542

Thank you, I inspected mine and it seems to be intact. I am suspecting the engine is just not neutralized after the 4 mount replacement. I've heard older Chrysler transaxle mounts are adjustable, does anyone know if transaxle mounts on these vehicles are adjustable? Otherwise, looks like I just loosen the front/back mount thrubolts and shimmy the engine.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
Other than a little slack around the bolts, there is no adjustment.

Reactions: mallowj667

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had a 99 with a 3.3 and I was turning the engine over using a screw driver thru the harmonic balancer and the result was a slightly bent balancer. It wobbled side to side less than 1/32 inch but it made a knocking sound, no vibration. Sounded like a crank bearing. I would guess the crank was moving back and forth using up it's end play. Very hard to find the problem as it wobbled so little. Swapped it for a used one I had and problem solved. Not saying this your problem but they are very sensitive. I don't see a problem in your video.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So with my luck, was driving on the highway today when someone started riding my ass, as he went to pass me I floored it to try and keep up but he blew past me. Shortly after, tons of steam coming from under the hood, smells like coolant. Only a couple mins from home so just drive home, no overheat indicator, look at the engine bay and it's COVERED in coolant.

Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

If I were to guess, I believe I blew my lower intake manifold gasket or cracked the lower intake. Probably pressure from the water pump and my ****ty old radiator. They are super easy to replace luckily. Going to confirm tomorrow. Basically, don't floor it on a 14 year old Chrysler :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
See with a 3.6 you'd have blown the engine and still beat his ass. :p Like I did. :cry:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good luck on that lower intake manifold gasket. Not sure if mine is leaking but I saw some wetness right on top of the transmission, near the mating point of the engine and transmission. I was already going to be there so I decided to change it.

I was trying to change the lower intake manifold gasket while I was doing valve cover gaskets but was stopped short by one bolt.There’s 8 bolts holding the intake manifold on and literally the last one snapped!!! The bolt all the way to the left (looking at the engine from infront of the vehicle), with the bolt head facing the radiator.

I didn’t want to heat it up since I believe the intake manifold is aluminum (not sure if that has any effect) but more importantly the fuel line and fuel rail were right next to this bolt. I bought cobalt drill bits and an Irwin extractor set but might wait until the spring or summer to tackle this job.

Anyways I hope you have good luck doing the intake manifold gasket on your van. It’s a pretty simple job if everything goes right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Down to the lower intake, obviously blown.

Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

There are 2 troubling signs, one is the coolant in the top left passage is... a little chunky. The second is the coolant resting on the manifold appears to be contaminated. There was one little hard piece that seemed either metal or plastic, no clue where it came from. I'm doing a leakdown test to check the head gaskets, if there is any possibility that oil could have got into the coolant passage through the intake manifold then I'm fine, other wise it looks like I have a lot more work ahead for an engine that might explode. You think you'd be able to floor it in a damn car :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,517 Posts
That bit of oil around the intake gaskets is from the PCV system. It's clean further in because the injectors spray it off.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
255 Posts
So with my luck, was driving on the highway today when someone started riding my ass, as he went to pass me I floored it to try and keep up but he blew past me. Shortly after, tons of steam coming from under the hood, smells like coolant....
#Karma

1 - 20 of 21 Posts