The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the gear shift (knob) come off? Do you know if it will have to be replaced or just need a screw to re-attach?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If it's just the knob, it should reattach easily.

According to the service manual, you hold in the shift knob button, put the knob on the shaft, and tighten the set screw.

Since yours just fell off, you may want to loosen the set screw a bit more if it does not easily go on the shaft.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
jonnavarra,

The shift knob fell off my 2009 Caravan at less than 500 miles. I put it back on and tightened the set screw but it became loose again after a few shifts. The set screw threads into a brass insert and the insert had become loose in the hole in the shift knob, so as I tighten the set screw the inserted was backing out.

I took it to the dealer and as a temporary repair they epoxied the insert in place and re-installed the knob. They ordered a new knob and replaced it on my next visit.

So if tightening the set screw doesn't work you may want to check the insert, and epoxy the insert in place if necessary.

George

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well that is a good thing to know. They should just push down (holding the button) and re-tighten the set screw. These are done from the supplier pre done and not by the factory. So the supplier may have not done it properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts