The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My satellite radio displaces the phrase "Module Failure" whenever I activate the radio. Ha anyone ever had this happen and know what the problem could be and how to repair it. It just happened suddenly. Thanks so much for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys,

My satellite radio displaces the phrase "Module Failure" whenever I activate the radio. Ha anyone ever had this happen and know what the problem could be and how to repair it. It just happened suddenly. Thanks so much for any help.
Still looking if anyone has any info and can help with this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
Hi, well, can it play any music at all? Or is it just the satellite radio that doesn't work? Does the display touch screen work? Can you do anything or is it a permanent "module failure" message?
-These radios have a hard drive where all the system information is stored, including the codes for all the functions, if the hard drive fails, well, you either replace the hard drive from a donor vehicle or get a new radio.
-You can try disconnecting the battery and touch positive and negative battery wires together, this resets all stored and active codes and resets all the systems in the electrical system. I would try this first, if the message comes back, you might be out of luck on this one.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
I found a site about the 430 MyGig repair, it deals with a unit that doesn't accept CD's, but it shows the inner workings of the radio, yours will look just like it. If you do decide to take yours apart, but I feel that the hard drive has failed, try the battery disconnecting I mentioned earlier, see if that helps. Touch the positive and negative together a few times as well, just to be sure.
MyGIG: fixing the Chrysler REN MyGIG (Media Center 430) touch-screen head unit
Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, well, can it play any music at all? Or is it just the satellite radio that doesn't work? Does the display touch screen work? Can you do anything or is it a permanent "module failure" message?
-These radios have a hard drive where all the system information is stored, including the codes for all the functions, if the hard drive fails, well, you either replace the hard drive from a donor vehicle or get a new radio.
-You can try disconnecting the battery and touch positive and negative battery wires together, this resets all stored and active codes and resets all the systems in the electrical system. I would try this first, if the message comes back, you might be out of luck on this one.
It works in all ways except the satellite radio stations won't appear on the screen (the Module Failure message covers that area), and no sound from the stations will play, as no stations appear on the screen. I can go to manual station selection and enter a station number, but it won't go to the station. The AM, FM, SATV all work perfectly. Does that still point to the radio hard drive as the possible problem?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
It works in all ways except the satellite radio stations won't appear on the screen (the Module Failure message covers that area), and no sound from the stations will play, as no stations appear on the screen. I can go to manual station selection and enter a station number, but it won't go to the station. The AM, FM, SATV all work perfectly. Does that still point to the radio hard drive as the possible problem?
Well if everything else works then no, means the hard drive is alright. I have not experienced this issue before, or seen it, but start off with the battery tip I gave at the start. If it continues, pull the radio out and double check the connectors on the back, there are also 2 connectors for the antenna by the front HVAC, swing open the lower glove box, push the tabs in and open it farther. Then if you shine a light to the right side you will see 2 white connectors with a red piece on them, check that those are securely clipped together.
-Otherwise, I have no idea how to help, it could be a programming issue (a glitch) or a hole in the wiring somewhere, or a faulty antenna. I believe that the SAT radio and SATV use the same connector on the back of the radio to the antenna, but I am not 100% sure. It could also mean your antenna has failed.

Again, never had this issue, if you can't get it sorted yourself and want it fixed i would suggest go to Dodge or Chrysler and ask them if they can fix it or if they had any customers with the same issue before that they could pinpoint what exactly the issue is, otherwise I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got a chance to look for the connectors near the front HVAC and couldn't find any. I looked online for sirius satellite cable kit/wiring and found the photo attached. There only appears to be one connector to the radio, and the next connector isn't until you are about a foot away from the antenna at the back of the van above the headliner. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
I finally got a chance to look for the connectors near the front HVAC and couldn't find any. I looked online for sirius satellite cable kit/wiring and found the photo attached. There only appears to be one connector to the radio, and the next connector isn't until you are about a foot away from the antenna at the back of the van above the headliner. Am I missing something?

View attachment 58980

View attachment 58981
Maybe I am missing something? My van had 2 connectors by the HVAC, one was used (for am/fm) and the other was exactly the same and taped up to the main harness, which I assume was for SAT radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird. Maybe the GC is wired different, but I wouldn't think so. Did someone own the van before you and may have re-cabled it at some point? The AM/FM antenna cable in our T&C is a thick black coax cable with a white and red connector (at the back of the radio). The satellite antenna cable is thin black and has a yellow and red connector (at the back of the radio and at the connector near the rear antenna). With you having 2 white and red cables showing, maybe that's just the AM/FM, on yours, and the satellite antenna cable is routed somewhere hidden nearby? And seeing the install kit really kinda brought it home that the only connector is in the rear near the antenna. So I'm guessing that it's either the radio or perhaps the antenna module itself but I don't know how to test either one. I fear the dealer may be the only place that might have an answer to what the problem could be exactly. They are very expensive for just diagnostic time with no guarantees they might even find the problem! Or find it in a reasonable amount of time. That's just sooo open ended with no potential answer.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
Weird. Maybe the GC is wired different, but I wouldn't think so. Did someone own the van before you and may have re-cabled it at some point? The AM/FM antenna cable in our T&C is a thick black coax cable with a white and red connector (at the back of the radio). The satellite antenna cable is thin black and has a yellow and red connector (at the back of the radio and at the connector near the rear antenna). With you having 2 white and red cables showing, maybe that's just the AM/FM, on yours, and the satellite antenna cable is routed somewhere hidden nearby? And seeing the install kit really kinda brought it home that the only connector is in the rear near the antenna. So I'm guessing that it's either the radio or perhaps the antenna module itself but I don't know how to test either one. I fear the dealer may be the only place that might have an answer to what the problem could be exactly. They are very expensive for just diagnostic time with no guarantees they might even find the problem! Or find it in a reasonable amount of time. That's just sooo open ended with no potential answer.
Nope, bought brand new in 09, owned it since, no work ever done on it (except me, when I add factory high end features).

Maybe for you, you could contact Chrysler and explain your issue and ask what they recommend and or if they have dealt with something of sort before. If I had issues, I went to my local Dodge/Chrysler dealer and told them what I was having issues with and they helped me out every time, so I highly recommend this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well finally got it to the dealer and they said it was an SDAR antenna module. Internal to the radio. And a new one (if they could even get one) would be about $1300! Radios are so pricey. Don't know what I might do yet exactly.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
Well finally got it to the dealer and they said it was an SDAR antenna module. Internal to the radio. And a new one (if they could even get one) would be about $1300! Radios are so pricey. Don't know what I might do yet exactly.
Best choice is most likely to get a new aftermarket radio, or a used one online if you're really after SAT radio.

You could also take the unit apart to see if you can find the issue and try to fix it yourself, whatever the SDAR antenna module looks like. Or you can just not listen to SAT radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts