The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has 1999 3.0 V6 with 68000km. After last oil change it used 1 2/3 quarts oil in 3000 km.

This seems excessive and is an increase over my last thread on the same subject.

Any ideas what is happening? Is this engine nearing the end of its life span. Is there any way to repair or slow this? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
At 68000 kms your engine should just be at the beginning of it's lifespan. My guess is that your valve guides are having some issues. Have you had these looked at, or have you done anything yet to look for possible causes? My engine uses about a quart every 1200 miles, which is roughly every 2000 kms... and I have a significantly older engine than you do, so I doubt your engine has reached the end of the line yet. It's possible, but I'd put my money on the valve guides.

Likewise, do you smell anything like burned or singed oil coming from the engine at idle or just after shutting engine off?

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
The 3.0L engine has a common problem with valve guides and seals sucking oil after some miles on it. A telling sign is a puff of smoke from the tail pipe when you first start up. Also, after extended idle time and when cruising down the road with the throttle off, and then hitting the gas to increase speed.
Heavier oil can help, but the correct fix it to replace the valve guides and seals. To do this, you have to remove the heads, so IF you do this, give the top of the pistons a good cleaning, to remove the oil sludge buildup there may be there from sucking the oil. Also put on a new timing belt and a new water pump while you are in there.
Good luck and I hope I haven't scared you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks jazztrumpet216 and DSMLVR for the info.
Got an oil change today and the pcv valve is still good (repalced it 3000km ago).
Stopped by the dealership today and service writer said that it more than likely is leaking at the valve cover gaskets and that the oild is burning off when it runs onto the head. (I never see oil on the ground).

Looked at it afterward with my flashlight and there is oil on the fron and back below both valve covers and they both appear top be leaking.

Dealer said these engines used to be oil burners but the newer ones are not.

Guess I'll bring it in. I hope it is leaking rather than burning.

I'll Keep you posted.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
I use a Rislone Ring Seal treatment and it seems to do what it's supposed to do. It's hit-or-miss with most of these treatments. The best way to fix it for good is to replace the gaskets (and the way I'd probably fix it on a newer car like this), but trying a bottle of the Stop Leak probably wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dealer was just making you feel good. They ALL ended up burning oil. Even with the top end mods (which helped) the cyl. heads are very weak areas.
Larry

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
I won't disagree with the top end of that engine being the weak link. I also won't disagree with the 3.3/3.8s being better about using oil than the 3.0. But, in the 3.0's defense, my van didn't really start to burn oil until 150K miles, to the point where it would burn a quart every 2000 miles or so. It got steadily worse from there until I started to use the above-mentioned ring seal and now it's back to about a quart per 2000 miles. It's very likely ring related and not valve related, anyway. They don't "all" burn oil at 68000kms (around 42K miles if my math is correct), nor would I leave it unfixed if I were stefan.

Also, what incentive would they have for making him feel good? They'd make MORE money on the repair if it was something like valve guides or a worse problem than a stupid valve cover gasket. It's a little early for a gasket to fail but it could be a lot worse and A LOT more costly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree completely with Jazztrumpet.

You shouldn't be burning any oil at all after only 42k miles. The notorious oil burning that goes with these engines has to do with age (100k miles plus).

I have heard that Mitsubishi did put some bad valve seals in a few batches for Chrysler (just like Chrysler put in a few bad injectors), which MAY be your problem, but this didn't apply to all the 3.0s (by far), and it was a separate problem.

Anyways, I'd look at the valve seals. I highly doubt it's the piston rings this soon.

- John
*BIG* fan of the Mitsubish 3.0.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed to Mobil 1 syn 5w30. Oild Consumption reduced. Could also be predominantly highway driving in summer as compared to my predominantly city (15 mins or less per trip).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts