The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's in bad cosmetic shape, but it feels like it runs great. I was wondering what should be the first things to replace or look at, i.e. what goes out on these? Any online repair advice sites or pdfs would be greatly appreciated too.

Another thing is I live in CA. Wondering if anyone has been able to get them to pass smog?
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had an '89 woody. The 3.0 engine will burn oil and smoke at some point. Fix is to replace the valve stem seals or keep on adding oil - your choice (oil is cheaper). '89 was the first year for the a604 transmission, aka ultradrive. That is it still running tells me it has been taken care of or frickin' lucky. Drop the pan, replace the filter and refill ONLY with licensed aff+4. The trans dipstick notes Dexron - don't do it, (aka as deathron).

Sorry can't help with CA smog. Check the CA smog requirements - some states will give you a pass after a few decades You can pull the engine codes with the keydance (ignition key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds) and counting CEL flashes (flash-shortpause-flash-longpause-flash-shortpause, etc.) Sequence begins with 1-2 and ends with 5-5. Stuff between is engine/codes. Post here and we should be able to help decode.

Note the maint req'd lamp will light every 60,000 miles (give or take). It is only a reminder but requires a manual reset (reaching behind the dash and pressing a button). No intelligence or problem, simply a reminder.

The back right sparkplug is a beast to replace and would not be surprised if it is original. I would suggest replacing all 6 sparkplugs with OEM. Might as well do the wires and distributor rotor and cap at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an '89 woody. The 3.0 engine will burn oil and smoke at some point. Fix is to replace the valve stem seals or keep on adding oil - your choice (oil is cheaper). '89 was the first year for the a604 transmission, aka ultradrive. That is it still running tells me it has been taken care of or frickin' lucky. Drop the pan, replace the filter and refill ONLY with licensed aff+4. The trans dipstick notes Dexron - don't do it, (aka as deathron).

Sorry can't help with CA smog. Check the CA smog requirements - some states will give you a pass after a few decades You can pull the engine codes with the keydance (ignition key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds) and counting CEL flashes (flash-shortpause-flash-longpause-flash-shortpause, etc.) Sequence begins with 1-2 and ends with 5-5. Stuff between is engine/codes. Post here and we should be able to help decode.

Note the maint req'd lamp will light every 60,000 miles (give or take). It is only a reminder but requires a manual reset (reaching behind the dash and pressing a button). No intelligence or problem, simply a reminder.

The back right sparkplug is a beast to replace and would not be surprised if it is original. I would suggest replacing all 6 sparkplugs with OEM. Might as well do the wires and distributor rotor and cap at the same time.
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. What is aff+4? I have 5w-30 oil, that's not good enough? And what do you recommend if not dextron? i.e. a specific brand or just not dextron. Thanks again! It doesn't seem to smoke or burn oil.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ATF+4 is the approved transmission fluid. This link lists the licensed fluids. Best price I have found is at Walmart, supertech atf+4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts