The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van won’t idle when engine cold unless the gas pedal is depressed. The engine dies as soon as you remove your foot from the pedal – seems to happen more easily when going uphill. Gas tank is ¾ full. Replaced fuel filter but that didn't help. Running car around neighborhood until engine warms up seems to make problem go away. Engine will restart in neutral or park, but won’t keep running.

After considering a faulty EGR valve or autmatic idle speed motor, I found a different, much simpler answer. I sprayed some Gumout carb cleaner on a paper towel and wiped out the inside of the throttle body where the air feeds in. After cleaning out all of the black gunk on the side of the throttle plate closest to the air filter, I manually opened the throttle plate using the throttle lever and cleaned in as far as my fingers could reach past the plate with a Gumout-soaked paper towel. This removed more black gunk. Using a Q-tip soaked with more Gumout, I also cleaned the black gunk out of port at the bottom of the throttle body inlet. This solved the stalling & hesitating problem and it runs fine now. Amazing! So simple! Praise the Lord! I am very pleased.
Interestingly, I could find no EGR valve on this vehicle. I had read that a malfunction of this component could be the problem. Perhaps it’s hiding under the air intake plenum?
If this problem recurs, I will consider removing the automatic idle speed motor and the throttle position sensor from the firewall side of throttle body and clean these along with the orifices into which they mount. Perhaps I'll also remove the air intake plenum to clean in there and maybe even find the EGR valve (if there is one) and assess its condition. I hope this helps someone else.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Glad you got it fixed up.
I found that an old tooth brush and carb cleaner work great to clean the throttle bore and plate.
If you do remove the IAC to clean it, be careful not to wiggle the cone on the end too much. Doing so can mess up the "pintle" extension distance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts