The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so i decided to skip the idea of swapping a 4 speed tranny because its way to much work, but the transfer gear swap is very realistic, the van comes with stock 2.86 ring gears, and 1.02 transfer gears making a final drive of 3.02 If i swap in the 0.91 transfer gears it will bring the final drive down to 2.60 which will bring my RPM's down by about 390 RPM's. so my questions are ...... will this affect the speedo at all? i was told it wouldn't ? also will the shifting need to be adjusted?? or should it be fine ? and lastly , does anyone have or know where i could get a set of theses 0.91 transfers??? any thoughts are appreciated

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,495 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

Let's suppose everything goes as planned, how long it would take for you to recover your investment?

Let's also suppose something doesn't go as planned, will you ever recover your investment?

I would say, save your money and buy a newer vehicle when you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the goal is to lower the RPM's on the highway because it doesn't have overdrive, replacing the trans would be expensive, but changing the transfer gears is about a $90.00 investment, also the van only has 11,000 miles its clean, i don't think the investment is that big at 90 dollars

·
Vanless member
2,087 Posts
the goal is to lower the RPM's on the highway because it doesn't have overdrive, replacing the trans would be expensive, but changing the transfer gears is about a $90.00 investment, also the van only has 11,000 miles its clean, i don't think the investment is that big at 90 dollars
I had an 87 Mitsubishi 3.0. I loved the 3 speed! These engines like to rev! Why don't you see if you can fit some larger diameter wheels/tires instead of the gear swap? Maybe get some snazzy wheels for your $90. What sounds like a simple task can often become a nightmare! It all sounds fun until you're breaking bolts, stripping threads, swimming in ATF, etc.......++. I've learned that nothing like this costs only 90 dollars! If it's clean with only 11,000 miles, I wouldn't mess with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts