The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Voyager with 106k miles. This was a FB marketplace find- had for $900.

I have replaced:
*spark plugs
*spark plug wires
*distributor cap
*rotor
*belts
*map sensor
*oxygen sensor
*rear bearings
*rear shoes
*front pads
*strutts
*rear shocks
*brakes lines
*changed transmission fluid

After having my mechanic basically overhaul the 29 year old car (he's a friend, did it cheap), I get it back and start driving it and it appears I have 2 oil leaks, and I think they are moderate to severe. I went into Menards for about 30 minutes and had a small puddle. I did put a quart of Lucas stop leak in the crankcase- I'll be curious to see if that slows the leaking down. The car did sit for quite some time.

At this point, I'm pot committed to this car. With that said, can anyone suggest where the most common sites are for oil leaks? I have the Mitsubishi V6 3.0

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Common places for oil leaks?
Valve cover seals and the oil pan gasket are the 2 most obvious, common and easiest to fix I can think of.
Past that there's the Main seal at the transmission or a seal on the timing side, do these engines have timing belts? So there could be something like a cam seal leaking. IDK.

A mechanic should be able to spot the oil leak just by a quick look.

Or you just do what most folks with older cars do and check the fluid levels every few days (you should do this anyway) and top up the fluids as needed.
Consider an oil leak as a very slow and gradual oil change. :LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mechanic is going to replace the oil filter adapter gasket, as he thinks that is leaking. He says its about a 30 minute job. He also wants to replace the oil pan gasket, but has no idea how long it will take.

Do you have any idea how long that job is on the 1991 Mitsubishi V6 engine? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Possibly not relevant, but we discovered that the oil pressure sensor on our '91 Grand Voyager (3.3 L engine) had failed - causing a BIG oil leak. One other thing to consider checking.

We also in the past had a bent oil pan (I assume from the vehicle bottoming out on a rock somewhere), which caused the oil pan not to seal properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
looking at all that u replaced. you have the 3.0 liter engine has the timing belt been replaced ? if those snap the engine will be junk. just sayin. then u wont have to worry about oil leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts