The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings: My 1992 Plymouth Voyager has been running very well, both highway and city, until it started dying intermittently last Friday. It would act as if someone shut off the ignition. Usually I could start it up again immediately, but a few times I had to crank it a number of times and/or wait a minute of two. As of today (Monday), I have changed the: MAP sensor, ignition module, fuel filter, crank sensor, disconnected the negative battery cable to clear any electronic issues, but the problem still remains. I replaced the fuel pump, with a new one 90.000 miles ago, so I am presuming that is not the source of the problem. No codes are set on my scan tool. All that's left, that I can tell, is the fuel pump, cam sensor, or the computer itself. Any thoughts out there in mini-van cyberspace?

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. Check your ASD relay.
2. Get a pressure gauge on it to meter your fuel pressure, aftermarket pumps are very hit or miss, I've had more than one that would work great until it got warm, then it would cause it to die. Let it sit for a couple minutes and it would be fine. Sometimes it would go weeks without issue, sometimes I couldn't make it across town. Found out the brand new pump was the issue. Put 2 more in before I finally got a good one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Check your ASD relay.
2. Get a pressure gauge on it to meter your fuel pressure, aftermarket pumps are very hit or miss, I've had more than one that would work great until it got warm, then it would cause it to die. Let it sit for a couple minutes and it would be fine. Sometimes it would go weeks without issue, sometimes I couldn't make it across town. Found out the brand new pump was the issue. Put 2 more in before I finally got a good one.
I forgot to mention that I have changed the following relays: fuel pump and ASD. When I looked at computer number in my van it is 4672144, which I have been unable to match with any computer ID numbers in my Hollander interchange manual. Does anyone know what other years or engine sizes of computers might work? Someone told me if you buy a reman ECM, you will have to pay big bucks to have it programmed at a dealership. What other options do I have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Spray some fuel into the intake ducting and see if engine runs for a second or two.

Let us know.
It usually starts up immediately, but I'll have to remember that, plus I want to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch the needle on the gauge, as the engine operates and dies. One person told me to take the computer apart and check for questionable solder joints.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have changed the following relays: fuel pump and ASD. When I looked at computer number in my van it is 4672144, which I have been unable to match with any computer ID numbers in my Hollander interchange manual. Does anyone know what other years or engine sizes of computers might work? Someone told me if you buy a reman ECM, you will have to pay big bucks to have it programmed at a dealership. What other options do I have?
I wouldn't keep throwing parts at it until you check your fuel pressure and rule out a bad pump.
In all my years with these vans I've NEVER had an ECM go bad, its always something else. Not saying it's not possible, but I would rule out all unknowns before I started swapping ECMs at random.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't keep throwing parts at it until you check your fuel pressure and rule out a bad pump.
In all my years with these vans I've NEVER had an ECM go bad, its always something else. Not saying it's not possible, but I would rule out all unknowns before I started swapping ECMs at random.
So far, all the parts I've put on, other than a new fuel filter, came from another 3.3L which was a running engine when it blew up. I have a mind to put in new crank and cam sensors, just to be sure, but Ive been told that the cam sensor rarely goes bac. I've found very reasonable prices for Standard brand sensors at RockAuto.com. I hope to get the fuel pressure checked today, and I will keep everyone informed as to what happens. Thanks to everyone for all of the various ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Spray some fuel into the intake ducting and see if engine runs for a second or two.

Let us know.
I'm making progress since when the engine quit, I was unable to get it started after three or four times, so I had my wife crank it as I held the handle of a phillips screwdriver that was inserted into the plug end of the plug wire - result: NO SPARK! What's next?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings: My 1992 Plymouth Voyager has been running very well, both highway and city, until it started dying intermittently last Friday. It would act as if someone shut off the ignition. Usually I could start it up again immediately, but a few times I had to crank it a number of times and/or wait a minute of two. As of today (Monday), I have changed the: MAP sensor, ignition module, fuel filter, crank sensor, disconnected the negative battery cable to clear any electronic issues, but the problem still remains. I replaced the fuel pump, with a new one 90.000 miles ago, so I am presuming that is not the source of the problem. No codes are set on my scan tool. All that's left, that I can tell, is the fuel pump, cam sensor, or the computer itself. Any thoughts out there in mini-van cyberspace?
GOOD NEWS!! Today, I changed the cam sensor and the van now runs beautifully! Thanks again for all of the good advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
MOPARrules
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing