The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started out with the Front Wiper stopping intermittently. Then stopped all together. I attempted to replace the motor twice and nothing happens. The wipers stopped in the middle of the windshield and now finally all the way down.

I was told that the possible causes could be the motor, relay, the switch and fuse.

Like I said, I have replaced the motor twice. The fuse looks good. I do not have the money to simply replace parts until it works. I also know extremely little about working on cars. Only one wire on the wiper motor plug has any voltage, I believe it was the black wire that was hot. (Know for sure it was one of the inner wires, but been a while since I checked.)

I have been unable to find the relay for the wipers. The washer fluid works and I have not noticed any other electrical problems.

How can I troubleshoot this problem in order to discover where the problem lies?

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Check for a poor ground due to corrosion on the ground strap.

This is how I fixed mine.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
Both of our Gen 3 1998 vans had this issue; both were fixed by pulling and reseating the wiper relays in the fuse block numerous times (doing so helps clean the contacts). I've never worked on a Gen 2 so I don't know if they have the same fuse block issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
The wiper relay is in a hard to get to relay block, roughly behind the ash tray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

It turns out that it was the grounding strap. Only cost me a new motor and a replacement and your advice to discover the real problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts