The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not remember where I read it, but supposedly the 3.3L V6 had a 12 horsepower increase in 1994, compared to earlier years. What made the difference?

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
Per allpar.com, the power was bumped from 150 to 162 and the torque numbers were bumped from 180 to 194 for the 1994 model year; the difference was from a "Revised intake plenum".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per allpar.com, the power was bumped from 150 to 162 and the torque numbers were bumped from 180 to 194 for the 1994 model year; the difference was from a "Revised intake plenum".
Is it worth it then, supposing that I don't lose any fuel economy, to locate a plenum off of a 1994 and install it? Are there any other hidden mounting, or routing issues for any wiring or anything else that I have to be aware of?

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
I have no idea if the 1994 plenum will connect up with on a 1993 or earlier van. It may be real easy, or, as with the case between the 2000 and 2001 model year, the throttle body and intake plumbing moved completely over from one side of the engine to the other.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
Doubt replacing the plenum alone will increase HP, got to be something else.

But if you try it, please honestly post your findings. If it helped, great. But if not, please say so.

It is bad when someone do some modifications and even if doesn't works as expected, he claims it did. Others will try and it would be a big disappointment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Greetings. I would try and find an assembled 3.3 in the 94 version investigate and do some real comparison before jumping in. It may or may not help. As Levy said, let us know the reality.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have no idea of the 1994 plenum will connect up with on a 1993 or earlier van. It may be real easy, or, as with the case between the 2000 and 2001 model year, the throttle body and intake plumbing moved completely over from one side of the engine to the other.
Should be a direct bolt on from what I've seen, haven't actually done it to confirm, but have looked at plenty side by side.
IIRC, they used a slightly different runner design with a slightly larger throttle neck, but it's been a long time since I've had 2 side by side to compare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should be a direct bolt on from what I've seen, haven't actually done it to confirm, but have looked at plenty side by side.
IIRC, they used a slightly different runner design with a slightly larger throttle neck, but it's been a long time since I've had 2 side by side to compare.
I will continue to investigate, as I wouldn't mind a few extra horses under the hood, with some added torque, but I don't want my fuel mileage to drop. Then it isn't worth it to me.

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
I will continue to investigate, as I wouldn't mind a few extra horses under the hood, with some added torque, but I don't want my fuel mileage to drop. Then it isn't worth it to me.
It is highly unlikely the fuel economy will drop unless you're romping on it a lot. The later 3.8s in our Gen3 and Gen4 vans all were capable of better fuel economy than the Gen2 vans, in spite of their higher output engines.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is highly unlikely the fuel economy will drop unless you're romping on it a lot. The later 3.8s in our Gen3 and Gen4 vans all were capable of better fuel economy than the Gen2 vans, in spite of their higher output engines.
I don't have a heavy foot on the gas, so it sounds like a good swap. I also have a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager, with a 3.3L, and on the highway in the warm months, I can get 26-28 MPG. The previous owners claimed that and I did initially doubt them, but they were telling me the truth. Where can a person find a 4-speed manual transmission, with all the external parts, that would either my 1992 or 1993 vans?

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
I don't have a heavy foot on the gas, so it sounds like a good swap. I also have a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager, with a 3.3L, and on the highway in the warm months, I can get 26-28 MPG. The previous owners claimed that and I did initially doubt them, but they were telling me the truth. Where can a person find a 4-speed manual transmission, with all the external parts, that would either my 1992 or 1993 vans?
I don't think Chrysler ever produced a transverse 4-Speed manual transmission, and if they did, it would have been for the very early K-Cars and completely incapable of dealing with the torque of a V6.

The 5-Speed manuals which came with the Daytonas, LeBarons, and Turbo Minivans (along with other K-Car derivatives) might work, however, among other mods you will need to make, you may very well need a custom bell-housing to tie a 3.8 engine with the older 5-Speed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only manual I know of that will bolt up to the 3.3/3.8 is the one from the Stratus RT sedans with the 2.7. It was a 5-speed manual and shares a bellhousing with the 3.3/3.8.

The 5-Speed manuals which came with the Daytonas, LeBarons, and Turbo Minivans (along with other K-Car derivatives) might work, however, among other mods you will need to make, you may very well need a custom bell-housing to tie a 3.8 engine with the older 5-Speed.
From what I've heard, the only difference in the bell housing between the 3.0 and the 3.3/3.8 is the cutout for the cooling tube, otherwise it's supposed to bolt up. I can't confirm anyone has ever done it though. But it would be worth checking into further.

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
The only manual I know of that will bolt up to the 3.3/3.8 is the one from the Stratus RT sedans with the 2.7. It was a 5-speed manual and shares a bellhousing with the 3.3/3.8.

From what I've heard, the only difference in the bell housing between the 3.0 and the 3.3/3.8 is the cutout for the cooling tube, otherwise it's supposed to bolt up. I can't confirm anyone has ever done it though. But it would be worth checking into further.
Good call, I completely forgot about the 2.7 Stratus being offered with a 5-Speed; what was it on the market for, like three weeks before they cancelled the three pedal option? :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good call, I completely forgot about the 2.7 Stratus being offered with a 5-Speed; what was it on the market for, like three weeks before they cancelled the three pedal option? :p
01-03 IIRC, but there weren't many of them made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Long_Voyager94
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing