The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about replacing my work car with a truck as I am driving a lot less than I had been.
I am seeing alot of '94 and '95 Rams for sale in the $2000-$3000 range.
If I get a truck, it will be a 4x4. It seems hubs on those have a sub-100,000 mi life on them. The trannies can have issues. The engines are pretty bulletproof, but can have cracks between the valve seats.
I would like a 3/4 ton, but it is 1/2 tons that are out there for the most part.
I would love a V-10, but they are pretty scarce these days. A diesel is too expensive still.
The thing I like about the trucks (other than the styling) is that they have aftermarket support from places like LMC truck. This is something my '75 doesn't have. (My '75 is pretty much becoming 1 with the earth)
It seems to me that they had a hood latch recall at one time. The doors tend to be rusty, but I haven't noticed much bad with rockers and cab corners like the Chevys of that age.

Any input will be great. I won't be buying anything for a month or two.

PS: If I were to buy a car right now, it would be something along the lines of a '98-'04 LHS or 300M.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What goes wrong on the Magnum intake? Does it get an intake leak like GM's do?
I never had an issue on my '03 360 in my former van, but it had less than 30,000 mi on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
there is a plate on the bottom (intake valley side) of the manifold with bolts in it. that seal breaks eventually making the truck burn oil and if bad enough foul plugs. if you look down the throat of the throttle body and see a small pool of oil it needs a plenum seal.
you take the manifold off, flip it upside down, pull the bolts out and replace the seal. i think it pays 3 hours?
here is link to plenum gasket repalcement:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461371

also since you live in mn! i believe the 46rh/re trans does not pump the fluid thru the trans in park. this means on cold morning, you can warm the truck up idling for 10 min but the trans does not pump until the gear selector is in r n d 1 2. so if you hop in a real cold truck and take off the trans may experience some morning sickness until the trans is warmed up. alot of guys will warm the truck up in neutral to combat that problem.
that is not really a problem but a characteristic people don't understand! mike

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot about that. I seem to remember that now.
Better oil through the cylinders than coolant into the oil and the cylinders like on GMs.
My Oldsmobile has a pokey torque convertor in it. It drains overnight which means I have to let it warm a bit.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
I need to change my plenum seal on my '97 5.9L Ram, it burns oil and pings...the 2 tell tell signs.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
there is a plate on the bottom (intake valley side) of the manifold with bolts in it. that seal breaks eventually making the truck burn oil and if bad enough foul plugs. if you look down the throat of the throttle body and see a small pool of oil it needs a plenum seal.
you take the manifold off, flip it upside down, pull the bolts out and replace the seal. i think it pays 3 hours?
here is link to plenum gasket repalcement:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461371

also since you live in mn! i believe the 46rh/re trans does not pump the fluid thru the trans in park. this means on cold morning, you can warm the truck up idling for 10 min but the trans does not pump until the gear selector is in r n d 1 2. so if you hop in a real cold truck and take off the trans may experience some morning sickness until the trans is warmed up. alot of guys will warm the truck up in neutral to combat that problem.
that is not really a problem but a characteristic people don't understand! mike
Thanks for that tip, how do I know which 46r(h or e) transmission I have. I know the h is hydraulic and the e is electronic. Would the 46re buzz like the 41te?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts