The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van started with an issue last night as it blew the engine control fuse without warning on my way to the gas station. Threw a new fuse in, fired right back up without issue.
Drove it around last night without issue, so I chalked it up to it just being the original 27 yo fuse.
Drove it to work this morning, no issue.
Made it about halfway home before it stopped running without warning. So, swapped the fuse again and finished my trek home.

So, I will be checking/cleaning grounds and connections, but given all that was done last year when the new engine went in, I'm doubtful I'll find anything.
So the question is, where do I start looking?!?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found it.
Squirrel had gotten into a few wires under the hood, one of which was grounding.

Wires fixed, squirrel relocated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And scratch that.

Was fine for 3 days, now it can't hold any kind of revs without blowing the fuse.

Thinking alternator or voltage regulator are failing, but I have no way to test as I can't keep the fuse in long enough to test it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe test your alternator/voltage and see what it's doing at idle, and then when you rev up before the fuse goes. Could give you a direction to investigate, at least.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe test your alternator/voltage and see what it's doing at idle, and then when you rev up before the fuse goes. Could give you a direction to investigate, at least.
Alternator is producing 14.2 volts at idle and stayed level as revs climbed.
I was able to test it before it blew the fuse again.

Reinspected all wiring, found no issues.
Checked all grounds, no issues.

Thought there was an issue with the Clockspring, so I replaced that with an NOS Mopar unit I had on the shelf, nothing.

If it sits overnight, I can put a fuse in and drive it across town before it blows. Once it blows the first fuse, any fuse after blows the second you turn the key.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, I'm looking at the schematics I have for components that are powered through the ECU, and could present an RPM-dependent load. The ones that are jumping out at me are the coil pack and the injectors. Maybe check them out? Not sure what you have available for testing tools or spares.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a bunch of fuses and started the quick/dirty testing of unplug things 1 by 1 and see if the fuse blew.

Upon leaning over the rear to unhook the O2 sensor, I laid my hand on the case of the alternator. The 12.5 volts that shot through my hand and up my arm pointed me in the correct direction.....

Apparently despite my alternator producing the correct voltage, it had shorted internally. Enough to blow the fuse, but not enough to keep it from making the correct output voltage.

So, I got a new alternator, put it on and spent 2 hours driving around, stopping, restarting, etc to ensure the issue was gone.

Finally!

Reactions: Westphal

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up a bunch of fuses and started the quick/dirty testing of unplug things 1 by 1 and see if the fuse blew.

Upon leaning over the rear to unhook the O2 sensor, I laid my hand on the case of the alternator. The 12.5 volts that shot through my hand and up my arm pointed me in the correct direction snaptube vidmate .....

Apparently despite my alternator producing the correct voltage, it had shorted internally. Enough to blow the fuse, but not enough to keep it from making the correct output voltage.

So, I got a new alternator, put it on and spent 2 hours driving around, stopping, restarting, etc to ensure the issue was gone.
thanks for keep posting the updates , good job

1 - 8 of 8 Posts