The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the integra fixed, now my brother's Tahoe is having some lighting issues. It's a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with a 350. The rear blinkers don't work(fronts do), no rear brake lights(except the 3rd brake light at the top, it still works), no parking lights and no backup lights. Bulbs are fine and I checked all the brake/parking light fuses inside and under the hood. What could be the problem? Please help, he can't drive it at night because he doesn't want to get a ticket or get run over. :help_wsig

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
It is odd that both sides don't work. My bet is the taillight circut board assembly (on both sides) is bad. A known problem for GM's (I had an S-10 Blazer, my old boss had a C1500, and sister 's suburban all had to have at least one replaced, and a shop I worked at replaced one every month or 2). He probably had 1 side out for a while and never noticed it, but once the other side goes out, it is noticed a little more quickly.
They are like $30 per side.
Just check if you have power going to the plug on the back of the board. If so, then it is the board.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is odd that both sides don't work. My bet is the taillight circut board assembly (on both sides) is bad. A known problem for GM's (I had an S-10 Blazer, my old boss had a C1500, and sister 's suburban all had to have at least one replaced, and a shop I worked at replaced one every month or 2). He probably had 1 side out for a while and never noticed it, but once the other side goes out, it is noticed a little more quickly.
They are like $30 per side.
Just check if you have power going to the plug on the back of the board. If so, then it is the board.
I was thinking a bad board....but they "went at the same time" at least I think they did, one may have gone bad before the other, I'm not sure. :nut: I'm going to print this wiring diagram and try to find the main ground back there and see if thats the problem first, then I guess I'll try some new boards on it. Thanks.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
I would first check for a ground, that is probably the only thing they share in common. My mom had that happen and the ground wire was hanging off into space.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would first check for a ground, that is probably the only thing they share in common. My mom had that happen and the ground wire was hanging off into space.
I went after the ground wire. It was fine. So I got out my test light and put the probe into the green wire(tail light's hot, with the lights on) and grounded it. The light didn't light up. It didn't light up for the reverse lights or the brake lights either. I'm lost.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
Did you check the woven ground on the frame to the passenger side motor mount? I will sometime corrode or come off when doing other stuff. It may just push on and may need cleaning. If there is voltage going back, it would seem that grounding is the problem. I don't know if there are other grounds on the panels, but I doubt it. See if the ground is clean. There was a nice post by someone explaining how to do the ground, and it was not to scrape all the finish off the circle clip, it may be rusted out in the hole where the screw goes. Just look around good, unscrew it and check and see if it helps.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
I forgot this is a tahoe, don't know how the lights are, do they go in the bumper? There will be a ground to it, take it out and clean the screw thread, could be rusted. There is a nice post on how to redo your ground. If the one to the bumper is good, check the frame ground same way, the block ground. If you have voltage to the light, it must be a ground, it seems to me again.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, there wasn't any power going to the back, thats why my testlight didn't light up.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said it had voltage, but that said, did you take a wire back to a known good ground? If the ground is bad to the back, it won't read if you check between prongs. You can use an extension cord to touch its ground to the negative battery terminal and use the ground on the other end for your ground for the light. I am beating a dead horse, but trying to check the little stuff before you go talking money.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked every wire that was on there and where they led too. I found the ground wires, followed them and removed the ground and sanded the wires and contacts clean. I don't know what it is. Electrical stuff drives me crazy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does he have a plug and play rear trailer wiring harness? I am guessing it has something to to with trailer wiring. If it has a plug inline harness then disconnect it and then see what works.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does he have a plug and play rear trailer wiring harness? I am guessing it has something to to with trailer wiring. If it has a plug inline harness then disconnect it and then see what works.
I disconnected the trailer wiring harness thinking that might do something....not a thing. Why do I get stuck with the impossible to fix problems? :cry:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I disconnected the trailer wiring harness thinking that might do something....not a thing. Why do I get stuck with the impossible to fix problems? :cry:
Well definitely keep us informed. This is a good one.
As tcwagner1 has mentioned, this truly seems like a ground or fuse. However, ......

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well definitely keep us informed. This is a good one.
As tcwagner1 has mentioned, this truly seems like a ground or fuse. However, ......
I wish I had a truck/suv with the same "bulb board" I'd swap it out just to eliminate that....even though my test light didn't illuminate when I think it should have. Genuine Chevrolet for you. :jpshakehe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts