The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am posting this gremlin of a problem in hopes that it helps someone. For over year now, I've experienced intermittent stalling of the engine when making a moving right turn. This doesn't happen if I stop first, but only when turning into a driveway or parking lot or making a right turn onto a street without stopping first. The car would start right up. No codes were stored in the computer. Shucks.

I had the fuel pump replaced when it went out. I had the issue before and after that so that wasn't the problem.

I cleaned the throttle body and the problem would go away ... for a while (this is a clue).

I replaced the idle position sensor and actuator - no change in symptoms.

Then I realized it would only stall not just when turning, but when turning right only.

I did some checking and it was suggested there was a loose battery cable. Mine were very tight.

Someone suggested I turn the engine on an start jiggling the wire harness. This led to the fault.

Behind the battery there are two white plastic long connectors. I don't know what they are. The are held together by connector latch/catches. They both looked good but when I jiggled one of the connectors, the engine died. Apparently when I had the air filter off to clean the throttle body, it jiggled that connector (located underneith it) enough to maintain contact for a while. Also, I summarize the centrifigal force while turning right was moving the wire harness enough to cause the disconnection.

Anyway, I unhooked the connector and reconnected it and retested using the wire harness shake test. This time the engine did not die. I conclude that this connector needed to be reset.

My question for you guys out there is now that I have identified the root cause, what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Someone suggested I turn the engine on an start jiggling the wire harness. This led to the fault.
This is key. You need to find which exact spot of harness moving causes the engine to stall. When you find that connector, or spot, check to make sure that any connectors are tight and that the wiring has not chaffed through the insukation and is shorting out.

·
Banned
113 Posts
was anything done on the vehicle prior to the problems even 2,3, 10 months ago?

I encountered a 1996 van that had a similar problem caused by the cam wiring rubbing the belt.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
A good squirt of WD40 into those connectors cleans the surfaces of the contacts and also water proofs the connectors. You most likely have some corrosion build up in them. A clean fully seated connector will not lose connection no matter how much jiggling you do to it. Glad you were able to find that one. :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also check the wires themselves in the area, look for nicks in the insulation. Battery acid or even just road water / moisture could have gotten in and corroded the conductors. That is what caused my trans to go into limp mode, one of the wires to a sensor corroded and the computer could not read the vehicle speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts