The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Need to pick your collective brains...have also posted on other forums so please excuse me if you've read about this elsewhere.

Original transmission died spectacularly with many error codes on the OBDII scanner so decided to purchase second-hand transmission from another 1998 3.3 Voyager.

To be on the safe side, at the same time I installed a new solenoid pack - the single gasket type on the replacement trans (having read that the early solenoid packs can be problematic), removing the spacer plate etc.

A new filter was then fitted to the replacement trans and all bolted up after reverse flushing cooler with ATF-4. The trans was then filled with ATF4 and bought up to temperature then topped off with fluid after cycling through gears.

I then ran the 'quick learn' procedure consisting of accellerating up to certain speeds and repeated kick-downs with the front wheels off the ground. All seemed fine, so went on a 10 mile road test after checking fluid level again. The road test seemed fine with the van performing as it did prior to the transmission change.

Upon parking the van and switching off, I then left things for the night after again checking fluid level (between min and max). The following day I started the van as per normal and discovered I only had reverse gear (no forward gears were working, or working jerkily and not engaging and park/neutral seemed to be a copy of reverse). Hooking up my OBD2 scanner revealed no codes.:angry1:

As a first step, I checked fluid - all ok. The only thing that had changed on the replacement trans was the solenoid pack, so I purchased two new gaskets and put the original solenoid pack on thinking perhaps the new pack was faulty or I had somehow creased/mis-positioned the gasket. After lifting the front wheels to avoid a breakdown/tow I then had exactly the same symptoms, so I then pulled the EATX relay to force the system into limp mode. This rectified the 'park/neutral' becoming another reverse and stopped the jerking as the trans tried to select a forward gear (still had no forward motion though!):ask_wsign

Then following advice from another forum checked the manual selector lever/cable linkage. Removing the cable and operating the linkage manually gave exactly the same results as above (both in normal and 'limp' mode), although for about 15 seconds I did get forward motion in 1st gear, then reverted back to attempting to engage jerkily.

I have tested the wiring from the EATX controller through to the solenoid pack (both by voltage checking and resistance measurement) - all OK including earthing.

A member on another forum thinks it may be the EATX controller, although there could be issues with the valve body, possibly crud/gunk in it from when it was in the donor vehicle. Anyone have any other ideas before I strip it all down again, drop the trans and start dismantling it for cleaning etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well......

Swapping the transmission controller with the one from the donor vehicle showed no improvement....:bang head

Steve from the local Chrysler dealership popped round and ran his scanner (proper Chrysler jobbie) on the way to a recovery job (thanks Steve!) and it returned no codes :bash:

Looks like I'll have to drop the transmission again. I'm going to drop the tray and filter and remove the valve body first whilst draining the fluid to have a look and see whether any gunk is blocking the valve body. Fortunately I still have the original transmission so with a bit of luck will be able to swap pistons/springs etc from one valve body to another if I find excessive wear anywhere.

Any hints/tips as to where I could go next if the valve body doesn't clear things up? Steve couldn't hang around because he had a recovery to get to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My son had the same problem and went through the same steps. All the codes in the world did not pin point the issue. In his case replacing the 2 rpm sensors fixed the problem AFTER he bought a new control box that did nothing. He also made sure the grounds were good. I guess that plays into the issues sometimes.
Hope that gives you some hope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update on this. It appears I have two faulty EATX controllers that are toggling solenoids incorrectly. After disconnecting the EATX controller fully, I now have limp home mode. Next stop - find a working controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update on this. It appears I have two faulty EATX controllers that are toggling solenoids incorrectly. After disconnecting the EATX controller fully, I now have limp home mode. Next stop - find a working controller.
New EATX controller fitted and all is now good :cool:

Just a minor mystery why I only had reverse initially unless the pressure had engaged the various clutches in some strange combination and it needed time to reduce sufficiently to permit normal operation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issues except my van (96 LE, 3.3. A604) dies in R or D. If i manage to finally get it going by giving it much more gas (not the best idea) it will drive alright until i slow down or stop. It dies unless she's In N or P. Starts great, idles good. Pulled P1494, 1495 Codes. Replaced leak detection pump, checked all vac lines, connections, continuity between PCM and TCM. Tested ignition coil and connections, cleaned IAC, checked EVAP purge solenoid, gas cap, PCV Valve and hose, all trans connections including ground. Happened after an upper rad hose burst and i replaced. Charcoal canister didnt leak and charcoal in the lines and there's good fuel pressure. Any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts