The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 is doing the same thing as others here, fan blowing after ignition is turned off, but I have a different question. After drilling the relay off the bumper what is the best way to re-attach it to the bumper? I don't relish having it fall off while driving down the road.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine is a '97. On mine, the fan relay is just screwed to a frame rail, not the bumper. This is a solid state relay, so getting a very good conductive thermal path to the frame rail is important; if you don't, the new relay will overheat and quickly fail. I sanded the frame rail surface and bought a tube of heat sink conductor grease from Radio Shack which I spread on the back side of the relay. I used a sheet metal screw and washer tightly screwed on to attach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and new question

El conquistador, actually no; at least not in this context. Not a mechanic in the least, just can't afford a mechanic to pocket $150 in labor fees.

Now the fan is working as it should, turns off when the engine is turned off. Anybody had this as an intermittent problem? Is this a sign the relay is going bad or does that point to something else?

And El Con, no I've probably never heard of that either.

·
Banned
521 Posts
El conquistador, actually no; at least not in this context. Not a mechanic in the least, just can't afford a mechanic to pocket $150 in labor fees.

Now the fan is working as it should, turns off when the engine is turned off. Anybody had this as an intermittent problem? Is this a sign the relay is going bad or does that point to something else?

And El Con, no I've probably never heard of that either.
http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/default.asp

One some vehicles, the fan can stay on after for a few minutes if the engine is shut off if it is very hot.

$150 labor fee's where's that I need to move. Around here it's only $40-$50/hr. Takes a long time to pay off a $3000 scanner or even the $800/year updates.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I sanded the frame rail surface and bought a tube of heat sink conductor grease from Radio Shack which I spread on the back side of the relay.
I think about to do it the same, but i couldn't find a termal compound.
heat sink conductor grease
Is this a correct name?:eek:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dielectric grease? Are you sure that this stuff is heat conductive?:ask_wsign

·
Banned
521 Posts
Dielectric grease? Are you sure that this stuff is heat conductive?:ask_wsign
I swear people on hear just like to be argumentative.

Ok then if you really want to be happy use this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102858

but really you don't need anything for the stupid relay. Golly this topic shur turnd into a major debate. I even posted the shematic. what more do you really need

BTW I use dielectric grease on EVERY electrical connection every time I unplug anything, I blob some in even on my trailer wiring. when I unplug my trailer, I fill both plugs with this stuff. I have the same plugs on my truck and trailer now for 15 years and no corrosion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The two products do different things.

The dielectric grease is to help keep the connections dry and conduct electricity.

The heat sink compound conducts Heat. its used in computers and other places where electronics use a heat sink to cool the processor. Since the heat sink is a piece of finned aluminum that rests against the processor the compound has a heat conductive property to move the heat into the heat sink. He just applied that knowledge to the Van where on the 96-97 models, the Solid State relay uses the frame rail as a heat sink to cool itself.

nothing really to argue about, since its two different products

·
Registered
54 Posts
I replaced my Fan Relay back in Feb or Mar of 09, all I did was un bolt the old one and bolted the new one in at the same place. I did not use any grease, goop, film, etc. Could that be why I am now going thru alternators? Just a thought.

·
Banned
521 Posts
Absolutely NOT the problem.

You are not going thru alternators, you have a problem in your system that needs to be diagnosed. no more guessing, it needs professional attention. If you break your arm, do you guess on treatment and/or go on the internet to fix yourself or do you go to the doctor?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts