The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone have any details regarding the '99 Caravan R/T concept?

I remember seeing it at the Autoshow, but don't know any of the details.

Blessings!

-NP

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I love everything but the hood and door handles. The interior color combo is amazing, looks like it could be the interior of a BMW minivan lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Seems like it had an autostick trans that let you hold gears. The shifter was a small toggle switch on the end of the column shifter. AFAIK, it's the only Chrysler van prior to 5th gen that had the Autostick.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
Seems like it had an autostick trans that let you hold gears. The shifter was a small toggle switch on the end of the column shifter. AFAIK, it's the only Chrysler van prior to 5th gen that had the Autostick.
The Autostick was on the 2001 and I think 2002 production ES models.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I wonder if that center console (between the seats) actually latched into the floor, or if it's there for looks... since the 3rd generation vans did not come with center consoles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wonder if that center console (between the seats) actually latched into the floor, or if it's there for looks... since the 3rd generation vans did not come with center consoles.
I've seen those consoles in some European 3rd gen Chrysler Voyagers, anyway they are quite rare. Voyagers equipped with manual gearbox have center console around the gearstick (and hand-operated parking brake in some models) but they look very different.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've seen those consoles in some European 3rd gen Chrysler Voyagers, anyway they are quite rare.
Mine has the standard centre console - 2 cup holders and a card/coin tray. No lift-up lid or power outlet, but the tray is removable to get at the cable on the hand operated parking brake lever.

Only 'non standard' part in my centre console is the change-over switch for the LPG system.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Mine has the standard centre console - 2 cup holders and a card/coin tray. No lift-up lid or power outlet, but the tray is removable to get at the cable on the hand operated parking brake lever.

Only 'non standard' part in my centre console is the change-over switch for the LPG system.
No funky pedal on the e-brake.:blink::lol:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nice. How sporty did the 4th gen ever get? was there a 3.5 available at all?

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts
Nice. How sporty did the 4th gen ever get? was there a 3.5 available at all?
Nope, just the 3.3l/3.8l's and of course in the swb models there was the 2.4l also. The 3.5l was only talked about being done, never was though.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
But with the hand lever it's very easy to do rally-style handbrake turns :crazy:
Yep, that was part of the cause of my trans failure. Also the need to replacing a whole set of low mileage tires. Fun, but baaaddd for the van. :help_wsig

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
I've only seen 1 van with auto-stick. It is an 02 ES of a customers. She never even has used it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I love everything but the hood and door handles
The vents in the hood were off a Viper and worked better in their original form. They were metal plates drilled with many small holes; not unlike a speaker grate. Allpar claims it packed 225 hp and was released as a concept in 98 along with an outdoorsy Voyager XG and upscale Pacifica. On my monitor the van looks a little pinkish, but I remember it as fire engine red.

I've only seen 1 van with auto-stick. It is an 02 ES of a customers. She never even has used it.
There is something wrong about that. I've driven a 300 with one, it's fun, but nothing at all like driving a manual. It's really nothing more than pulling any other automatic into low.

There are a couple of 3rd gen on cars.com which claim to have an Autostick:

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan ES

Here's a shot of the 2000 which shows the toggle on the column shift.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I was doing a bit of googleing and noticed that even the instrument cluster was different. The LCD display for the gears had PRND 1234 in smaller sizes to fit in the space. It was pretty neat looking. I use my form of auto stick... L stays in first to around 40 then stays in 2nd until you let it go into 3 or D. It shifts back into 1st in L position at 25mph. I like to select my preferred gear sometimes, but after awhile the computer "learning" does a good job and picks the correct gear.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Part of me wonders if AutoStick contributes to further wear and tear on the already fragile 41TE. Perhaps not, but the transmissions fail rather quickly WITHOUT more than average user input/AutoStick.

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
I'm thinking if the driver had TOTAL control of the shifting (as in manual shifting only,and control of the lockup),the 41TE would last a whole lot longer.Of course wild downshifts (4th to 1st and such) would cause rapid failure.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
I disagree with the 3rd gen's failing early or being 'fragile'. As hard as I push my town and country at times, its hard to believe that I've just been lucky to get a "good" 41TE. 143,500 miles, shifts perfectly (minus the dexron fiasco last year) and its the original build, never rebuilt. Change the fluid and filter every 30,000-40,000 miles and use ATF+4. Thats all I've down and I drive it like a bat out of he!! (do you know how much rubber I have layed :biggrin: ?)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts