The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I have a 99 T&C and it won't pass the emission inspection because of O2, Cat and EGR emission monitors not ready. I have tried all of the drive cycle suggestions I could find and they still are coming up not ready.

Any suggestions? My mechanic and also a tech at the local Chrysler dealer are at a loss for what to try next. I like this van and would prefer not having to blow it up.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad oxygen sensor or wiring to that sensor. On my 2000 I once had an intermittent code for the O2 sensor. When I replaced it, I found a mouse had gotten on top of the intake plenum (because the firewall insulation was hanging down onto it) and had nibbled through the protective sleeve over the O2 wiring harness, and partially into one of the wires. Not enough to cause a hard failure, just intermittent codes that I would clear and they would stay gone for a little while. My van needed a new sensor anyway, as it was probably the original with 225,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has never thrown a code (none), correct me if I am wrong, but if this were the issue, I would expect at least a code here and there. That is want has me so frustrated. If it is bad, I'll replace it, but I don't really have the money to replace everything till I find what works. And if there isn't anything "wrong", I can't fix it. And than makes me cranky, LOL

·
Voted most useless member
1,848 Posts
Wait.. It's not ever saying its ready? Even after a few drive cycles?

Dude, Pull the battery, pull the IOD fuse, and then reset.

Drive some more and see what happens.

If it does not throw any codes, then unplug the rear O2 sensor. If that does not give you a code, then unplug the one on the manifold.

You might just have a melted wire. It happens.

After both are unplugged, then if the car still does not show a code, then look at your wire looms. THe one for the engine on top, and then the one by the transmission. Clean the connectors. Inspect all wires, and try again.

You SHOULD be able to pull a code and make the engine go into closed loop mode giving you codes.

Also, with your OBDII reader, you might have a bad one. But. if it does work, then see if you can MONITOR THE 02 sensors in real time.

If they show up just fine, then there is something else amiss.

Just follow the troubleshooting first. Take it step by step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
imickey503
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing