The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some are telling me my 2.5 will bust a headgasket soon. :ask_wsign Its not overheating, it stays below the 1/2 way mark on the hottest days loaded with the a/c on.

My van has 150,000 + on it now, should I plan for trouble soon ? Does it just up and do it, or gradually ? :help_wsig
My father is going to change the hoses soon since, they are looking a bit bad, and we'll flush the cooling system and prep it for winter , will this help ?

·
Latent car nut
9,019 Posts
Some are telling me my 2.5 will bust a headgasket soon. :ask_wsign Its not overheating, it stays below the 1/2 way mark on the hottest days loaded with the a/c on.

My van has 150,000 + on it now, should I plan for trouble soon ? Does it just up and do it, or gradually ? :help_wsig
My father is going to change the hoses soon since, they are looking a bit bad, and we'll flush the cooling system and prep it for winter , will this help ?
What indications are they basing their opinions on? If they're saying something like, "They all do that." Then tell them to buzz off, because they don't "all do that." However, if there are specific problems such as coolant consumption (especially if the engine has been overheated a time or two), then yes, you may be looking at a head-gasket operation sometime in the future.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What indications are they basing their opinions on? If they're saying something like, "They all do that." Then tell them to buzz off, because they don't "all do that." However, if there are specific problems such as coolant consumption (especially if the engine has been overheated a time or two), then yes, you may be looking at a head-gasket operation sometime in the future.

Hasnt happened yet, it runs cool. :thumb: I think how long an aluminum headed motor stays together depends on how well the cooling system is maintained. But, the way some talk the headgasket seems to be a weak point on the 2.2. and 2.5

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
No, they don't ALL DO THAT...
I had 2.2's and 2.5's and never replaced a head gasket.
A DIFFERENT headgasket problem was the early 2.0L Chrysler 4 Cylinders but it leaked oil out the rear of the head gasket, down the engine block and onto the ground. That one you can almost bet on.

Just keep on motoring and IF the problem happens, deal with it. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
It may have already been replaced depending when you bought your van.
I have had 2.2's that had headgasket issues. Absolutely never ever plane a 2.2 or a 2.5 head when replacing the head gasket. It causes the cam journals to misalign and break the cam.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may have already been replaced depending when you bought your van.
I have had 2.2's that had headgasket issues. Absolutely never ever plane a 2.2 or a 2.5 head when replacing the head gasket. It causes the cam journals to misalign and break the cam.
OK, my dad asks what if the head was warped as he says all older aluminum heads do somewhat at least.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Different expansion rates of different metals is the main issue that causes them to go south. Galvanic corrosion may also occur too. Definitely keep the coolant fresh.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
It depends on how bad the head is warped. There used to be oversized journal camshafts to allow for line boring in case of a head planing, but it is doubtful that they are still available.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
There is actually a tolerance that the seating surface can be warped and still work.
I definitely wouldn't worry about the head gasket until it goes. It sounds like yours is fine.
I have seen them leak externally and into a cylinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts