The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in learning how well the good 'ole 2.4 works in these minivans. Is this the proper forum for discussing 2.4s since I don't see them listed elsewhere?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had two minivans (99 Plym Voyager and 03 Chrysler LX) with the 2.2 L engine. With today's gas prices it is a great engine. great engine except for hilly terrain, where it constantly has to downshift.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of mileage did you get at what normal cruise speed, and with which transmission (three speed automatic or overdrive automatic)?

I just got back from a trip to Long Island and back (from Michigan) in my wife's '03 Town and Country LX with the 3.8 liter and overdrive automatic. With normal cruise speed targets of about 73-75 MPH, I averaged about 23 MPG. Around town driving with very short average trip length, my wife is getting about 19-20 in the spring time weather, and about 18-19 during the winter.

I'm really curious to find out how much better the 2.4s do for gas mileage in actual use.

Right now I'm thinking about picking up another similar vintage T&C, Voyager, or Caravan, and setting it up to run a fully programmable engine control computer (MegaSquirt2/Extra) to see how much economy I can squeeze out of it. I know the MS2/E can read the crank wheel trigger of the 2.4, but I'm not positive yet if I can get it to read the one in the 3.3 and 3.8.

I really like the torque of the 3.8 (and the 3.3 also, but obviously to a slightly lesser extent) which is what keeps the transmission from having to kick down so much, and I also really like the smoothness and note of the v-6, but my primary objective for this potential project is MPGs. So, if there is a big difference, I'll be looking for a 2.4--which are scarce around here. If there isn't much difference in actual use, I think I'll look harder at the v-6 crank trigger situation.

Please pipe up with any specific info! :thumb:

Thanks! ! !

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm also curious as to how well the 2.4's do mileage wise. I found a '99 Plymouth Voyager 2.4 base model with 91,000 at a local dealer, and if it does better than my '94 3.0 I might consider trading up.

I'm also curious if this motor responds well to exhaust upgrades, better ignition components, etc., even if it's in a different application (Stratus, PT, whatever).

Aaron

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say how well they respond to upgrades in terms of MPGs (hopefully someone else might be able to?), but I can vouch for the fact that they respond like crazy in terms of making power. Guys run them in Neons, and build them up to ~215 WHEEL horsepower (~255hp at the crank?) without a ridiculous amount of buildup work. Yes, it does require big cams, a ported head, different intake manifold and such to get there, but they really rock.

Another thing they respond extremely well to is turbocharging. You can get cheap internals from the SRT-4 crowd or brand new from Mopar for cheap, and turbocharge them into the 500WHP range without too much trouble.

Of course, the 41te transmission probably won't like it, but the 31th can be made to take it REAL well. . . .

Sorry if that was a lot of irrelevant information! :biggrin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's never irrelevant when HP is concerned!:biggrin:

As it sits right now, though, at $4+ per gallon even 3 or 4 mpg improvement would help. My 3.0 gets about 16-17 in mostly suburban driving, and I'd love to break the 20 mark. I've seen the figures for combined driving in the 20-23 range from the official sources, and it'd be nice to know if the "real world" backs those numbers up.

Aaron

·
Registered
209 Posts
One of the security guards where I work just bought an '06 caravan with the 2.4L so I will try to keep up on his van and post any problems /mileage stats he can give since he is the only person I know with a 4-cylinder 4th gen van. So far though no complaints ,but he did come from driving a Ford Windstar, so I guess anything seems better :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
FWIW, the EPA estimates for an 03 with the 2.4 were 21 city / 27 highway. For the 3.3 V6, they were 19/26. Both with the 4 speed transmission.

For 1998, the numbers were 20/26 for the four (with a three speed transmission), 19/26 for the 3.0L V6 with the 4-speed transmission, and 18/24 for the 3.3L V6, 4 speed.

The difference should be a good predictor--that is, if you get 16 around town today, and you get a car whose EPA city number is 2 mpg better, you could expect to get 18 mpg. There are other factors, of course, only some of which you can control.

My personal experience has been that my 03 Grand Caravan sport, with a 3.8l engine and a 4-speed overdrive transmission, gets better gas mileage than my 1988 Short wheelbase Dodge Caravan SE with a 4-cylinder engine ever got.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good post mmahamm!

I like the mileage pretty well that I've gotten with my wife's '03 T&C, so I think I'm pretty much over the idea of the 2.4 for now. . . Assuming I can ensure that MegaSquirt can decode the crank signal, I may look around for something in that basic age range to play with and see what I can squeeze out of it.

After I noticed that the '04s with the 3.3 are rated 1 mpg better than the 3.8 (IIRC), I was thinking along those lines.

Does anyone have any good experience on point (3.3 versus 3.8)? ? ? ?

Thanks!

Thad

·
Registered
11 Posts
With referance to fuel consumption, I can't comment on the 2.4 ltr engine but I currently run a 2.0 ltr 5 Speed Manual with no cruise control on a run using mainly motorway driving (approx 70-75mph over 200 miles) I can get a return just short of 33mpg. Urban driving it drops to 26mpg.

Current fuel prices in UK are £5.40 Gallon, I don't know if US news coverage is covering the current fuel crisis! in the UK at present but haulier's are currently blocking motorways, city roads etc in protest over running cost's.

What if anything is happening in the US regarding fuel prices, would be interested to know..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice sig line there jockster! ! ! :lol: :ThumbsUp:

Regarding fuel costs over here, we are up to about $4.15/US Gallon of regular today in my area. That's about double of what fuel cost a relatively short time ago. I'm guessing the conversion still means ours is cheaper than yours though. . .

Man, I WISH I could get a five speed Chrysler minivan (4th or 5th Gen) minivan. That would be great. Alas, over here we only have automatics, and it seems like a lot of work to swap in a clutch pedal. . . But on the other hand, since they exist elsewhere, maybe the parts could be obtained. . . :ask_wsign

And then there is the possibility that our surging fuel cost will impel the automakers to start offering Euro type configurations over here. That would be one nice outcome from a really expensive situation.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They have been rising steadily since February. Congress has held hearings, there was an attempt to put in place a "Windfall Profits Tax" on the oil companies, which have record profits, but it was defeated before it could go to a vote.

You can see the trend on a chart, here: http://www.virginiagasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

·
Registered
367 Posts
With referance to fuel consumption, I can't comment on the 2.4 ltr engine but I currently run a 2.0 ltr 5 Speed Manual with no cruise control on a run using mainly motorway driving (approx 70-75mph over 200 miles) I can get a return just short of 33mpg. Urban driving it drops to 26mpg.

Current fuel prices in UK are £5.40 Gallon, I don't know if US news coverage is covering the current fuel crisis! in the UK at present but haulier's are currently blocking motorways, city roads etc in protest over running cost's.

What if anything is happening in the US regarding fuel prices, would be interested to know..

From your comment I guess they are installing the Neon 2.0 in the export vans. 33 mpg is very good, my 2.5 / 3 speed auto recently did 27.4 doing 65 with the cruise and air on. I was in a big hurry today and did 75-80 and it dropped to 22.5.

Where I'm at it cost $4.05 today. Isnt the British gallon slightly more then the Imperial gallon ? Something from a past college class last semester made me think of that :ask_wsign

1 - 14 of 14 Posts