The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can you tell if a turbo is working or not:ask_wsign, With our last 2001 2.5CRD Chrysler GV, you could hear a VERY faint whistle as you accelerated up:ThumbsUp:, you can`t hear anything with our latest 2001 2.5ltr CRD Diesel Chrysler Grand Voyager and it has exactly the same engine:ask_wsign. Mind you, it has got 120,000miles on the clock. It seems to pull very well after about 2000rpm. Just trying to think how to get better fuel consumption. At the moment, we get about 30mpg:cool:. If the Turbo isn`t working, repairing this should bring down the fuel consumption, Yes? Our other Chrysler used to get about 35mpg:thumb:. Ian

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
I've gotta figure your finely tuned trucker backside could identify general turbo function (or lack of it)... However, there may be some pressure/vacuum leaks that preventing it from spooling-up, reaching max boost, or blowing-off too early - which may not be immediately obvious.

Without the turbo, your fuel consumption should decrease... (along with a noticeable reduction in power/torque)

-Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
How can you tell if a turbo is working or not:ask_wsign, With our last 2001 2.5CRD Chrysler GV, you could hear a VERY faint whistle as you accelerated up:ThumbsUp:, you can`t hear anything with our latest 2001 2.5ltr CRD Diesel Chrysler Grand Voyager and it has exactly the same engine:ask_wsign. Mind you, it has got 120,000miles on the clock. It seems to pull very well after about 2000rpm. Just trying to think how to get better fuel consumption. At the moment, we get about 30mpg:cool:. If the Turbo isn`t working, repairing this should bring down the fuel consumption, Yes? Our other Chrysler used to get about 35mpg:thumb:. Ian

I'd like to be able to help you but unfortunately Chrysler doesn't sell diesel minivans in the U.S. I hear they just build them and ship them to other, more advanced-thinking countries. Here we just build huge pick-up trucks that are excellent for going to the grocery store and the builder supply stores for an occasional package of paper logs for our fireplaces. To be fair, these same pick-up trucks are dressed-out with climate controls, leather lounge chairs, Bose-like sound systems driven by satellite radio receivers, and GPS systems that will keep you oriented in case you stray outside the average 25 miles radius from your home. Re: fuel efficiency...recent diesel prices were up to as much as $5.00 a gallon but have come down in the past week to about $4.40. I read that most of our domestic diesel pick-ups get about 8 mpg in urban driving and 15mpg on the highway. (however, they can pull the moon out of orbit with their torque) Since much of the diesel fuel comes out of Louisiana and with probable disruption of supply because of the hurricane...I anticipate a return to the $5.00 range. 35 mpg?? I assume you are basing that on the Imperial Gallon? I drive two diesel VWs which average 45 - 50 mpg and perhaps you can tell by the above cynicism that I long for a diesel minivan....turbo, of course.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gotta figure your finely tuned trucker backside could identify general turbo function (or lack of it)...
However, there may be some pressure/vacuum leaks that preventing it from spooling-up, reaching max boost, or blowing-off too early - which may not be immediately obvious.

I do know what a Turbo sounds like when it`s running, especially when it is installed in a truck:nut:, you can hear the whistle as you start to climb hills :build:and when you put the pedal to the metal:usa:. Just wondering if maybe there`s more sound proofing in this vehicle compared to our other one :pdrums:eek:r maybe certain models have extremely quiet turbo`s:dancinmaiCheers Ian

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
Sigh... You think I'm bashing you, when I am offering serious input...? One last attempt at the futile...

----

Yes an turbo transport/work truck whistles like a referee and has practically no attention paid to sound attenuation...

But your claiming that a "whistling sound" is your only measure of general turbo function - in a passenger vehicle - that you have ample, previous, identical experience with? I can't believe a non-functioning turbo wouldn't be plainly obvious to your other senses...

Does the vehicle feel significantly down on power/torque? Does it ever see wide open throttle? You'd surely detect an obvious performance difference then... (I'd guess maybe your extra-babying it to save fuel, and rarely get into the boost... )

Else, I suggest a boost/manifold pressure gauge, (perhaps temporarily connected via a scanner tool, into the OBDII port, to confirm turbo operation...)

-Jim

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I should have said "were built", like the 2001 model in question. Is Magna still making anything for Chrysler, after they were outbid on buying the company?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`ve just removed the hose which goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold, and guess what,it`s blowing when the throttle is pressed, so the turbo is working, Fantastic:ThumbsUp:. I may have a fuel leak somewhere then as three of the injectors look wet but they don`t feel wet to the touch. Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts