The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my, it's crazy. I finally got the paperwork I need to put plates on my van. But the front plate looks so out of place on the front bumper that I decided it needed a black plastic frame. So, I started looking for black plastic frames this morning.

I've been at it for 90 minutes and I can't find just a plain two hole black plastic frame that doesn't have paw prints, or sports teams, or is actually black plastic, or isn't black plastic made to look like carbon fiber, or people who've bought those frames in the past who complained about the poor quality, or covers up too much of the license plate, or frames that don't cost an amazing $35!

All, I want is a simple, black plastic license plate frame with two holes on top. Any suggestions would be helpful at this point. :)

Also, it sure looks like Chrysler really didn't give too much consideration to front plate mounting. My van just has two holes in the front bumper with no replaceable inserts unlike the back license plate holder. Is that normal? Turns out one of the holes is stripped. I'll take the bolt out later today and apply a bit of blue thread locker to keep it from backing out.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Sometimes the frames aren't legal. Might want to check that.

Many Jurisdictions don't require a front license plate, so dimples only, no holes. When a front license plate is required (backward thinking by the Jurisdiction), screws are used into the fascia.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts

Many Jurisdictions don't require a front license plate, so dimples only, no holes. When a front license plate is required (backward thinking by the Jurisdiction), screws are used into the fascia.
As far as I know, not legal if covering part of the license plate digits, including issue state.

Same for the hitch. Many prople who never use a hitch, complain and demand to ban hitches if a trailer is not attached to it.

As far as I know, the best the state of Texas (and others) could do, was banned a hitch if a trailer is not attached to it, only if that hitch is covering part of the license plate. The license plate on our vehicles is higher up, so nothing to worry about.

Hitchs on my trucks are lower than license plate too. 🤣

·
Registered
116 Posts

The front plate is actually quite useful now. The police now use automated readers that scan plates as the officer patrols, and gives a notification if something is amiss. Municipalities and private lots also use scanners for parking enforcement. The scanner is a lot more efficient if it can run plates both ahead and behind. I doubt places without front plates will go back, but places like Ontario that were thinking about getting rid of the front plate won't be.

In Ontario at least, ALL frames are technically illegal but the police only enforce it if somebody is a dick. I had a good laugh a couple of weeks ago when I guy was on CTV news complaining he got a ticket for a dealer issued frame. The police said not true. He got the ticket for having no front plate, and got a warning for having a tinted cover on the rear plate which wasn't a dealer frame.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
License plate frames are legal in Washington state, RCW 46.16A.200. As long as those frames do not obscure the numbers, letters, and tags. So I'm guessing license plate covers are not legal since that would come under "obscure", I'm too lazy to spend time looking this up.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
The requirements in Nova Scotia:
Your license plate must be visible and legible at all times. This can be a challenge in the winter, as snow, salt and mud can cover the plate, making it difficult to read. A dark tinted plate cover can also make a license plate difficult to read. Specifically, section 20(2) of the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act states that a license plate must be displayed “in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.” The fine for having an obstructed license plate is $136.60.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts