The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new here looking for help,2000 caravan 3.3 flex fuel. 4spd stumbles and sometimes busks,no SES light on or even a flash when it happens,only does it on heavy acceleration or going to pass and not all the time,I can tell by the way it has to be motor related,idles and starts great has not stalled,just to be sure I've changed in and out speed sensors,fluid and filter, sila. pack,platinum pluged,wires,air filter,no metal in trans. pan at at all,next steps I'm taking are TB off cleang and changing TPS along with fuel filter,battery alt. and battery terminal chanded last 2mo.,I've seen post about a pigtail harness and also ground strap for trans. that could cause these problems but not sure where to find them,anyone with suggestions please let me know,thanks for taking time to read and help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is their anyway of checking it without removing transmission,it has no trouble cranking and still has the factory starter with 228,000 miles on it.it can go a week without stumbling and might be another week before it happens again.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My van is currently at the shop with a suspected cracked flexplate. I don't think there's always a sure way to check it, unless it's cracked real bad and you can make it move after opening up the dust shield and/or removing the starter. My friends at the shop are not buying into my diagnosis right away, so I'm just waiting. I know they won't overcharge me for the diagnostics. Here's one thing you can do. Try to keep driving it hard, on a single trip, until the SES light comes on. If it does and the code is P1391, like it was in my case, the evidence will be strong in favor of a bad flexplate. According to the FSM, cam and crank sensor readings have to drop out of phase 20 times on two consecutive trips for the code to be set.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You may eventually wind up with a cam/cranks sensor code or MAP sensor. I DO NOT think it is the flex plate. That usually makes quite the racket at certain rpms or loads and throws off the crank sensor timing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive been driving hard and will not get a check engine light or even a flash when it happens,engin and trans. computers are clear of any codes it happens so quick their not noticing it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Just an update to keep this thread going. I called the shop today. They said they did their own research and are now going to go ahead and change the flexplate. No positive diagnosis has been made at this time. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Alvin,so far I've changed plugs,wires,TPS,pulled the TB and cleansed it,front engine trans. mount it was cracked,fuel filter,both speed sensors and S pack with filter and the right type of fluid for the 4spd. nothing on the magnet but normal powder metal wear,changed battery because winter is coming and alternator because beariere starting to sound,checked all grounding points I could find and sanded them for connection,the coil can and crank sensors as well as the map sensor I've ordered a Equus 3150 obd2 scanner that can scan all codes engine and transmission but many paying extra because it gives live drive monitor of engine and transmission real time data of everything happening hoping to try and catch something during the split sec. it happens.I have to say everything I've already done has totally changed the way its running shifting has never be as smooth as it is right now not to mention how smother the engines running,I can not for the life of me understand how a cracked flex plate could cause what is happening it cranks so fast and quit all you hear is the starter Bendix spin over like once and it fires right up,what I'm filling is like a air of fuel type hiccup that happens so fast the van really don't lose any power and I can tell its not a slip in the transmission and 2 times it happened I no I heard a air exit type soundealing from the air filter area normal driving it will do great its only if you really push it as in passing or taking off from a stop really fast,it has never stalled never a SES light or even a flash,can anyone tflashifanyone reads this that has dealings with the cracked flex plate please explain it to me,thanks to everyone for any help.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Ha, I also have a new TPS and new speed sensors, all bought cheaply on eBay. The solenoid pack was replaced, too, while trying to chase another problem 1.5 years ago, which turned out to be a bad spark plug, a new one out of the box after changing them out.
The only sign of your problem that makes me think of the flexplate is that it only shows up under heavy acceleration. When the flexplate is cracked, the rim may move under load relative to the center and affect the cam sensor reading. I'd say, if the driveability is not really affected, you can just wait and keep observing. That's actually what I was doing for almost a year, until the bucking became real bad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I did all of these changes I had the Buck and you could tell it was affecting the transmission because it bucked so bad you'll have to let of the gas now its not bucking but just like you stop its air or fuel for only a split sec. or maybe a sensor that sends the wrong signal for a sec.,just so I'm clear on the flex plate its about the same type of a rear wheel drive transmission,if it is what keeps the crank and torque converter from total bracking it or is that coming next if it is it,do you know of any diagrams of this assembly my Hanyes manual left this part out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is why I'm wanting to see what my sensors are doing in real run time since I'm not getting any sounds from my starter and bell housing area mine could be in the early stages of total breaking,now I'm wounding if there is anyway of sliding the transmissiom back enough to replace the plate with out dropping everything.Keep me informed on how your turns out good luck to you,and thank again.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
There is no way of replacing the plate without dropping the trans. Even if it was possible, it would likely be more time efficient dropping it anyways.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Someone had posted that they were able to change the flexplate without dropping the transmission, after replacing the trans-to-engine bolts with pieces of threaded rod and sliding the transmission away from the engine. I recall they had to remove the crank pulley and perhaps something else to gain room on the right. Don't remember if it was here or on Allpar, or which generation van it was.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Finally got the van back today. It was the flexplate, cracked all around outside of the crankshaft bolt circle, just like the previous victims. My friends at the shop said they had never seen anything like that. They actually said the van quit running on them: forgot to ask if it happened in the shop, of they were road testing and had to tow it back. They gave me the cracked flexplate to keep.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Yep. This happened to my 2000 not too long ago. Made one HECK of a noise and cost me $800 to fix. Sigh. Dealer said this happens lots. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yep. This happened to my 2000 not too long ago. Made one HECK of a noise and cost me $800 to fix. Sigh. Dealer said this happens lots. Sigh.
I certainly had read your posts, as well as the other ones on the subject. It was a good thing you took it to someone who had seen this before.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone for all your post,I'm feeling the thing has cracked to many post here and all over the internet its covered with theses Caravanes with cracked flex plates I have all the symptoms but the engine light on and noise when cranking and today besides the bucking and sec. miss stumble or what ever you would call it now its started surgeon while holding gas at one speed 200 rpm is the surge that its lossing and gaining,now who know where to buy a new flex plate online or a Dodge dealer near Dalton,GA. our Dodge dealer was one of the dealers that got shut down auto parts stores in this town say they can't get it I'm not putting a used on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts