The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. I had a friend that was helping to check connection on my radiator fan assembly. We were testing relay's in the PCM also. Everything checked out. He used his code reader and found an error code OBD II P1776 and cleared it. Now the car won't start at all. Attempted to check the starter relay per the online video's which say to jump pins #30 and #87 and the starter should turn over. Nothing happens. Why would clearing the code keep my car from starting. No crank, clicking from relay box under hood. All lights work. I need help getting it to start up. It started up and ran fine last night. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Need help. I had a friend that was helping to check connection on my radiator fan assembly. We were testing relay's in the PCM also. Everything checked out. He used his code reader and found an error code OBD II P1776 and cleared it. Now the car won't start at all. Attempted to check the starter relay per the online video's which say to jump pins #30 and #87 and the starter should turn over. Nothing happens. Why would clearing the code keep my car from starting. No crank, clicking from relay box under hood. All lights work. I need help getting it to start up. It started up and ran fine last night. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?
Welcome

Make sure your transmission is in Park. If it is, try Neutral.

Erasing codes doesn't prevent your car from starting, got to be something else.

Since you were messing with the PCM, it would be a good idea to disconnect one battery cable (either one) and with that cable touch the other a couple of times, then connect the cable and try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is in park. This only happened as I said after trying to troubleshoot my fans not coming on and removing the code. We must have done something wrong somewhere.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Just disconnect one of the battery cables (either one), with that cable touch the other cable a couple of times (don't worry, it will not short out).

Connect the cable again and try.

Let us know if it worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope nothing happened. I put the positive on the negative a few times and also let it set for 10 seconds and still no joy.

·
5000 Club
5,667 Posts
"Attempted to check the starter relay per the online video's which say to jump pins #30 and #87 and the starter should turn over. Nothing happens."

First are you sure you had the right contacts on the relay socket? When you jump the starter relay (30 to 87) you are bypassing the ignition switch, relay and the control portion of the circuit meaning the PCM and the inputs to the PCM that allow it to supply the ground to the starter relay coil. You are completing a path directly from the battery to the starter. With that in mind my first suspect is the battery. Are you seeing a minimum of 12.3 VDC at the battery posts with the ignition switch off? Lights working means little. If that's good have you checked 40amp fuse #104 in the PDC? That supplies power to contact 30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes verified that the battery is charged with a meter and working properly. Double check the contacts on for the starter relay and everything was done properly. Also check fuse 40 amp fuse and found no issues there. Stuck as to why it still won't start up. Looks like I will have to contact a mobile mechanic to fix this. Not allowed to work on the car at my apartment complex anymore may have to have it towed to a shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
gepullen
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing