The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were experiencing issues that led to a fuel pump replacement. It was difficult to start. I ordered a new fuel pump from an online reseller. When I installed the pump, it was showing E, with fuel light on. I added about 7 gallons of gas, and it went up to F, and the fuel light came ion for a moment intermittently on the way home, just for a second.

I went back home, after it cooled down, siphoned off about 5 gallons, and lowered the tank to remove the pump. I connected just the electrical line to the pump, now out of the tank and had my wife town on the ignition trying several positions with the float, and each time it accurately showed the correct level based on where I had the float positioned.

I then re-installed the pump, and again, started with it showing empty. I went down to get this time 3 gallons of gas, and it still shows E. No change on the gauge.

Any ideas on whats going on?

·
5000 Club
5,685 Posts
No fuel indication problems with the original pump then you install a new pump and now you have fuel indication problems. Hmm. You either damaged the connector or the new pump is bad. Contact #3 sends the fuel level signal to the BCM. Airtex pump? They have a lousy history.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, this was a Prozone. Got off eBay. It seems to work properly when connected outside the tank. Thats the tricky part.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Cheap fuel pumps for the Caravans often do not work. Or they might work for a very short period of time.

I would skip the cheap fuel pumps and go with Bosch.

I tried the el-cheapo fuel pump route and after a number of cheapie failures I got sick and tired of the whole mess and finally got a Bosch unit.
Ironically, I paid about as much for 3 cheapies before I realized I was wasting time and money. In retrospect, I wish I had just done the Bosch the first time.

The day I got the Bosch unit installed is the day I no longer had fuel pump issues.

We all want and need to save money when we can. Often you can. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts