The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Poster here, What I have is a 2000 Grand Voyager with the 3.3 Flex fuel motor. For some reason it will not idle unless I have one of the vacuum ports on the intake manifold open. As soon as I put the plug back on it, it will not idle. I have had it to a mechanic that tell me according to their scanner and scope that every electrical component is within specification. They replaced my PCV valve, and told me that was most likely the issue. They also checked and replaced my air filter thinking that it might be a little to restricted for air. I'm not sure where else to go with this, I know it's not good for my motor to be sucking in air, and with winter coming up it makes it even worse with the cold air being sucked directly into my intake manifold. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
Clean the throttle body throat using a spray throttle body cleaner paying particular attention to the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve port behind the throttle plate. The IAC valve opens this port to allow air to bypass the closed throttle plate anytime the engine is at idle (foot off the throttle pedal). It can get clogged with gunk over time. When you unplug the vacuum port on the intake manifold you're just providing an alternate path for air to enter the manifold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast response, I will try that when I get done working today. If that works, all i will have left is to get the belt to stop falling off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I sprayed and soaked the IAC port. Then blew it out with some more throttle body cleaner and I started it up and could instantly hear it start sucking air, which I didn't hear before. I was able to plug the vacuum port and the van kept running. So I think we have it fixed. Thank you for your suggestion RIP!!!!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
There should be a plastic protective cover on the bottom of your van (under the belt area). If it's not there, that's the reason the belt gets wet....

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
Ok, I sprayed and soaked the IAC port. Then blew it out with some more throttle body cleaner and I started it up and could instantly hear it start sucking air, which I didn't hear before. I was able to plug the vacuum port and the van kept running. So I think we have it fixed. Thank you for your suggestion RIP!!!!
:thumb: You may want to look for another mechanic. This should be common knowledge in any shop. The clincher was your vacuum port trick and lack of a code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The problem came back this weekend, I'm wondering would it be ok for me to pull that IAC and give it a good cleaning and make sure that port clean all the way through? Or would I be better off to replace it, and make sure the port is clean? Also the belt kit, that is a great kit and I will look into buying that. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
On my previous car I successfully salvaged a sticking IAC by cleaning and re-greasing. If I remember right, it uses white lithium grease. It's not a recommended approach, but the IAC on the van looks similar, so it might be worth a try if you're sure the IAC is the culprit.

- G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts