The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 T+C goes into 'limp mode' every so often (has been getting more frequent) and CEL comes on. Usually shutting the car off and starting it again will solve cause it to shift normally again until it gets triggered the next time.
Took it to a local Chrysler dealer and they said it threw codes related to the transmission oil switch and some sort of solenoid, but said those parts "looked fine" and quoted a new transmission. Anyone here familiar with these cars and what could be the issue here? It's been shifting fine when it works and since none of the codes seem related to the transmission itself from my research, I'm not entirely sure a brand new transmission is needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
568 Posts
the vehicle is too old to take to a chrysler dealership, they'll just throw expensive parts at it to encourage you to buy a new van instead

whats the fluid level of the transmission? if it's throwing transmission control solenoid codes, which will cause limp mode, all that needs to be replaced is the solenoid pack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the full report from the dealer. They found the following codes: p0731, p1784, p1776, and p1700. They also noted the the fluid was "slightly burned" but the level was good and there were no metal shavings or anything in it. I never had the tranny flushed at the service interval (current mileage ~120k) because the tech at my last dealer told me if everything was working fine, it was better to leave the existing fluid. Any thoughts on any of that?

·
3rd gen > all others
2,271 Posts
Changing fluid only gets 1/3 of it out anyway, so might as well do it. Also, this ATF+4 fluid always smells and you can't go by color alone, so it's probably fine. Do a pan drop and fluid/filter change just to clean things up and replenish some of the additives in the fluid. Also, that isn't that high of mileage. I've seen these vans go 200,000 or more on original transmissions, even with minimal maintenance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
did they scan the TCM to see specifically what it says regarding this code?

i don't see any reason yet to do a fluid change or flush, i think the solenoid pack is probably the issue here

no metal in the pan is a great sign in this situation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry, I meant to type p0700. From what I'm reading that's sort of a "parent code" to the others. I've managed to get a service manual and p1776 with p1784 together is listed as possibly being caused by the solenoid pack, which sounds like pretty good news as that's on the outside and all that, correct? Solenoid pack also appears to be mentioned as a possible reason for triggering 0731 as well...

·
Registered
568 Posts
it's very good news, the solenoid pack isn't a walk in the park but it's accessible and it's a quick, cheap fix

mine went bad and i ended up with two codes, i can't remember what they were but i was stuck in limp mode over it

after having it replaced, i've been fine ever since

if it's not the solenoid pack, i'm fairly certain it's something on the outside of the transmission

if something failed internally there would be metal in the pan and a very large amount on the magnet

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
408 Posts
Mine got to 350,000 miles on the original transmission and fluid, it outlived the engine which needed rebuilt at 300k.
Then the shop that rebuilt the transmission did something wrong, and the transmission blew it's guts less than a mile down the road. So they gave me a new transmission.
:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts