The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is a new one even for this possessed minivan.
been chasing a bad running condition, and took it out to test my theory of the problem when it was cooler on Thursday evening around 9PM.
After the test run and some grocery getting, i came home and popped the hood and kinda verified my theory.
Did not touch the car yesterday as I had some other things to do.
This morning when leaving the house to help a friend fix his AC on his house, I walked past the van to get to my daily.
to my surprise, the passenger window was all the way down, and I did not roll it down Thursday night.
got the keys, and it fired right up, and the drivers window works fine, but there is NO operation of the passenger window from either door switch.
posting this even before any diagnosis, as it's 90+ degrees in the driveway and I am not looking forward to pulling that door panel just yet.
anyone with any experience with possessed voyagers please feel free to chime in, lol

thanks for reading
doug

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Easiest thing to check first would be the wiring in the passenger door jamb. There are two connectors there. First, I would try to roll the window up with the switch while moving the door (open) to see if there is sudden activation. That would indicate a break in one of the wires that flex in the door jamb. These vans are pretty good about that not happening, but old 80's cars would have that problem. It's a possibility, and easy to try.

The other old trick is to hold the switch to close the window while shutting/lightly slamming the door shut. The jarring will sometimes get a sticky motor to start turning. That's how you diagnose a bad motor. Sometimes you can get away with taking part of the motor apart and cleaning the commutator and brushes (or replace brushes with other better ones from the junkyard) and bending the brush springs out for more tension.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easiest thing to check first would be the wiring in the passenger door jamb. There are two connectors there. First, I would try to roll the window up with the switch while moving the door (open) to see if there is sudden activation. That would indicate a break in one of the wires that flex in the door jamb. These vans are pretty good about that not happening, but old 80's cars would have that problem. It's a possibility, and easy to try.

The other old trick is to hold the switch to close the window while shutting/lightly slamming the door shut. The jarring will sometimes get a sticky motor to start turning. That's how you diagnose a bad motor. Sometimes you can get away with taking part of the motor apart and cleaning the commutator and brushes (or replace brushes with other better ones from the junkyard) and bending the brush springs out for more tension.
thanks,
It is so freakin hot I have broke it into two times out there...
ok, key on I can hear the motor running .
got the door panel off [no easy task, as there is a screw behind the thin plastic panel that holds the window and door lock switch and that panel has one screw but is hot melted on and i had to get a big flathead behind that plastic square and pop it out]

so, the cables for the regulator have come unwound, I had to spend a bit of time removing the window switch from its bracket so I could activate the motor, and the cable on the right side [looking at the door with panel off] winds in. but the left hand side doesn't wind in.
might be able to remove the cap on that drum but the way the metal tabs are I will have to unbolt the whole thing, couldn't get any thing behind those tabs with it bolted up to the inner door. but walked away as it's just too hot
the vapor barrier was crispy and fell out in pieces as I removed the door panel, hopefully I can find something to replace it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You need a window regulator. It's broken so don't try to put it back together. If you get a replacement without the motor be careful swapping the motor to the new regulator. It's easy to let the drum that winds the cable come unwound and ruin the new regulator. Rewinding the drum is like getting toothpaste back in the tube.

I have replaced probably hundreds of regulators on 3rd and 4th gen vans. 1st gen vans had a plastic gear track that was well known for breaking as well. I don't remember what second gen vans used.

Some heavy plastic sheeting glued on with silicone or attached with duct tape will work just fine. Plenty of vehicles run around with no weather shield at all without significant issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need a window regulator. It's broken so don't try to put it back together. If you get a replacement without the motor be careful swapping the motor to the new regulator. It's easy to let the drum that winds the cable come unwound and ruin the new regulator. Rewinding the drum is like getting toothpaste back in the tube.

I have replaced probably hundreds of regulators on 3rd and 4th gen vans. 1st gen vans had a plastic gear track that was well known for breaking as well. I don't remember what second gen vans used.

Some heavy plastic sheeting glued on with silicone or attached with duct tape will work just fine. Plenty of vehicles run around with no weather shield at all without significant issues.
Yea, after my post I returned to the door and found one end of the cable flopping loose and so ordered the regulator and some of those plastic clips that self destructed while pulling the door panel off .

parts will be here tomorrow

·
Voted most useless member
1,938 Posts
That Vapor Barrier also serves as sound deadening. You can just use aftermarket stuff to do the same thing and its not that costly if you get the Noco stuff on Amazon. Its pretty easy to apply.

You can also just get one from a newer car and adapt it as long as it roughly has the same or larger dimensions as the OEM one. Also they sell Universal stuff online and you just have to adapt it and cut it to shape.

Easy peasy. Lemon Squeezy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts