The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've been doing control arm bushing replacement job and noticed that right half axle can be freely removed away from power transfer unit. I've checked service manual and it says that there should be a snap ring on a half axle. My half axle has a groove but I'm not sure whether it is for a snap ring. Should there be a snap ring or not?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi! I've been doing control arm bushing replacement job and noticed that right half axle can be freely removed away from power transfer unit. I've checked service manual and it says that there should be a snap ring on a half axle. My half axle has a groove but I'm not sure whether it is for a snap ring. Should there be a snap ring or not?
Greetings. Yes, there should be a snap ring on the shaft in that groove. Since yours was moving freely in and out I would surmise that the snap ring has broken or come loose and is somewhere inside the power unit. Pulling the differential cover plate and checking inside to find the snap ring is your option should you be concerned. It may have found a nice little hideaway and has been this way for sometime. Your choice and good hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Greetings. Yes, there should be a snap ring on the shaft in that groove. Since yours was moving freely in and out I would surmise that the snap ring has broken or come loose and is somewhere inside the power unit. Pulling the differential cover plate and checking inside to find the snap ring is your option should you be concerned. It may have found a nice little hideaway and has been this way for sometime. Your choice and good hunting.
Thanks, slcsoundguy! I've been mistaken about a groove on a shaft. It is no more than an oil passage for oiling of a bearing. I made some photos. The only thing that makes me mad that shaft's end with splines (that places in differential) has no groove for snap ring. I wonder if my shaft was shortened by local shop mechanics when they performed trany repair in 2004 or this is an original chrysler design on all wheel drive vehicles? The problem is that I can't find a photo of AWD half axle to determine if there should be a groove or not.

About photos. A roller tape measure is metric. Second photo shows a groove near a tripod housing, which I thought was for a snap ring.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
Looks normal. The right front AWD CV shaft does NOT use a snap ring. I looked at pics on Rock Auto to confirm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks normal. The right front AWD CV shaft does NOT use a snap ring. I looked at pics on Rock Auto to confirm.
Thank you very much, Road Ripper!

Damn, I forgot about rockauto.com!
I'd spent the whole day trying "forcefully push the tripod joint into side gear of transaxle" as Service Manual suggests. Then removed it from the car. Then came thoughts about where is a snap ring or maybe axle is short etc.

Never knew that since bought this car back in 2004.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a 2002 AWD and have had the R drive-shaft out at least once (tranny removal). I don't remember if it has a snap-ring on the end. I don't remember having to pop it out like you must fight with some. I have a 1996 Voyager also, so first wondered why your drive-shaft didn't have the gear to drive the speedo pickup, then remembered that the A-604 transmission in yours has 2 pickups on the main transmission shaft (input & output rpm's).

My biggest fear is if the xfer case fails, since rebuilt ones are ~$1500 on rockauto. When at junkyards, I have looked for AWD vans, but they are rare. I don't know if the transmission could be modified to use a normal R drive-shaft. That side of the housing is machined differently for the AWD vans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Baron
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing