The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my battery after troubleshooting some slow starting problems. (ruled out alternator and starter).

Since then, all heck broke loose.

Transmission started downshifting in a jerky way periodically (around 2K rpms). Transmission shop did a "relearn" and pulled a P1739 error code ("Power up on speed") but wanted to see if the relearn took.

Since then, the bad shifts got more frequent and more violent, and today the car died with all dash lights ablaze including all gear slector lights. Key and ignition still functioned physically just fin. would not start again for a few minutes. started again, but I left it there and need some adivce soon!

- Michael

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mileage and other history of the van would be helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan
91k miles
Minor transmission work 2 yrs ago (replaced a solenoid?) and a fair amount of "regular" maintenance prior to this. (brakes, tie-rod) no large issues.

Thanks Mike. Sorry for the omission.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sounds like you've got a bad connection or whatnot somewhere. I'd recommend double-checking the battery connections, ground connections, and power connections at the fusebox, etc. You might also have your new battery tested - just to make sure.

- G

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The conclusion

The transmission shop (by phone) said due to it probably being electrical, they thought a full service shop would be best.

The shop recommended a transmission control module re-flash (or potential replacement), and said the dealership is the only place to do that.

The dealership test drove it and got even more electrically erratic behavior (speedo and tach). They started checking everything and found a loose ground wire off the negative battery terminal ... and that was it! It had worked it's way all the way through the system and gave all kinds of odd problems including the infamousP1739 error code (Power up on speed). All is now well!

I got away from all three places with paying only $56 total. THAT was a miracle.

Next stop, a busted sway bar link the dealership found... but I'm not complainin'! (any tips?)

·
Super Moderator
21,851 Posts
The transmission shop (by phone) said due to it probably being electrical, they thought a full service shop would be best.

The shop recommended a transmission control module re-flash (or potential replacement), and said the dealership is the only place to do that.

The dealership test drove it and got even more electrically erratic behavior (speedo and tach). They started checking everything and found a loose ground wire off the negative battery terminal ... and that was it! It had worked it's way all the way through the system and gave all kinds of odd problems including the infamousP1739 error code (Power up on speed). All is now well!

I got away from all three places with paying only $56 total. THAT was a miracle.

Next stop, a busted sway bar link the dealership found... but I'm not complainin'! (any tips?)
Dash lights / gages going beserk points in the direction of a power (battery) related issue. Sounds like the negative terminal needed tightening.
The electronics in these Vehicles have an extremely high dependence on a constant power source (good, well connected battery) to operate properly. Otherwise, your vehicle may appear haunted.
Sway bar link: About $30.00 for part and half hour labour.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,705 Posts
Isn't anyone gonna rag on the "stealership" for trying to sell a front end part? :rolleyes:
If it's actually broken, it's a good thing that the dealer brought it to the owner's attention. :ThumbsUp:

+++++++++++++++++

My brother was told his kid's car needed two front drive axles. He declined the $500 tab to fix it since the car (recently purchased) drove fine. But I looked underneath, and sure enough, both axles had torn CV joint boots. Who knows how long they were like that.

My advice was to have the kid save some of the money from his job to pay for the repair. :rolleyes: Plus I told them what noises/vibrations a bad CV joint will make, and why a new axle was better than just replacing the boots....

++++++++++++++

Point is, that not all shops are crooked. It's never a bad thing to get a second opinion, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts