The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI All,
New here.

My girl has a 2001 Grand Caravan with just over 100k miles on it.

it was doing the typical blown resistor things like only working in the high position.
It would also just stop working sometime and then randomly start working but only on the maximum blower position.

Checked the fuse-it was fine.
I just replaced the resistor pack behind the glove box and started the vehicle.
The blower worked on all speeds just like it was supposed to.
I turned it off and tried again and the blower would not work.

I replaced the new resistor again, pulled the center console to check the blower motor knob (works) checked that all the connectors were secure and not corroded (they're fine) and looked for a secret giant on/off switch turned off (wasn't one) and put it all back together.

Started the car and it worked fine.
turned it off and tried again a few minutes later and again not working.

Aside from checking the blower motor itself or the relay (haven't checked those yet) any other hints about what I can check next?

Many many thanks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Could be an intermittent contact somewhere in the circuit - doubtful, but possible.
More likely is the fan motor is failing and you have a dead spot (or spots) in the stator causing the fan not to work. One primary cause of the resistor pack to fail is a worn blower motor putting excessive load on the resistor.
My bet is a bad blower motor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
HI All,
New here.

My girl has a 2001 Grand Caravan with just over 100k miles on it.

it was doing the typical blown resistor things like only working in the high position.
It would also just stop working sometime and then randomly start working but only on the maximum blower position.
One might think, but I have a 2006 Grand Caravan whose blower would only work on all the lower settings but not the highest setting and my shop fixed it by replacing that bloody resistor!

And I'm an Electrical Engineer, and this makes NO SENSE to me!!

John Kuthe...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
One might think, but I have a 2006 Grand Caravan whose blower would only work on all the lower settings but not the highest setting and my shop fixed it by replacing that bloody resistor!

And I'm an Electrical Engineer, and this makes NO SENSE to me!!

John Kuthe...
Manual or ATC. Makes a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts