The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2001 town and country, 3.8L , 292K miles. Had code p1391, replaced crank sensor, no change, replaced cam sensor, no charge, replaced it with another new cam sensor no change, put back original crank sensor, no change
runs terrible, shudders, same code and CEL . anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix ?
Does not have symptoms of jumped timing
Ran great with first new cam sensor, but CEL on and p1391 manufacturer control showed on scanner.
Any help would be appreciated I checked the wires going to the connectors and I don't see any frayed wires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I appreciate that I read all the info I googled it plenty of times could not find the answer but I didn't look on this site I talked to mechanic friend of mine has been doing this for over 40 years said he never really had to replace flywheel so I'm hoping it's something else but thanks again

·
3rd gen > all others
2,155 Posts
The cracked flexplate IS a common problem on the 3rd gen and even some 4th gen vans. I've even read of some 5th gen vans with cracked flexplate, too. It's worth checking into. Do the sensors test okay with an ohmmeter? If you can rule out the sensors being faulty, then it's a strong possibility of a bad flexplate. The 3rd gens and early 4th gens (2001-2003) need BOTH the cam and crank sensor signals in order to run. 2004 - up only need one functioning sensor to run.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for replying
I put the original crank sensor back in and it made no difference I tested all the sensors with an ohm meter and apparently they're all good except the original cam sensor.
I tried 2 new cam sensors and 1 crank sensor and it's still running bad although it runs better with one new cam sensor than the other ...... at least I remember doing that.

from what I understand it's a nightmare to change the flywheel on these things so my mechanic friend suggested trying a wiggle test and wiggle all the wires of the van running under load with someone holding they're foot on the brake since it does not do it while the van is idling.... but sometimes it does drive to Tach. crazy when it's idling if you rev it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand and I checked the connectors for the cam and the crank sensor for ground and for voltage so I have an electrical tie around the cam sensor connector cuz it didn't click right ......so I make sure it has a tight connection .
I've checked the wiring as much as I can but apparently maybe not enough.... did not see any frayed wires or anything I just don't know how to figure out this problem.
I've had two shuttering for several months with no code no check engine light one day the check engine light comes on with p1391 I replace the crank sensor no change I replaced the cam sensor and it made a big difference but still kept happening replaced it with another new cam sensor and it drove perfect but the check engine light kept staying on with no codes listed but it still came up p1391 manufacturer control on the scanner

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,286 Posts
Have tried disconnecting the battery?

If not, disconnect one cable and touch the other terminal with that cable.

That might solve your problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never heard of that but I will try that tomorrow I have a quick disconnect on the negative cable and I have disconnected the battery several times while removing and installing the sensors but tomorrow I will take the negative cable off and touch it to the positive one I don't see how that will work but I will give it a shot I'm just a few seconds left

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,286 Posts
I've never heard of that but I will try that tomorrow I have a quick disconnect on the negative cable and I have disconnected the battery several times while removing and installing the sensors but tomorrow I will take the negative cable off and touch it to the positive one I don't see how that will work but I will give it a shot I'm just a few seconds left
It is like resetting your computer.

Try it and let us know.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay I will do that
I always thought you're taking off the negative cable for a few minutes would reset the computer but I will do as you suggested and just touch it to the positive cable for a few seconds..... how that's going to do anything I don't know since the negative cable is totally disconnected from the vehicle but I will try it

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
In 1967, when I was a kid fixing airplane electronics in the Navy, that's how we'd fix them. We would also kick them with our feet and bang them with hammer!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay yesterday a little after 3 a.m. I went out and zip-tied the positive and negative cable together
in the morning no change
I had to go somewhere and it drove terrible it died six times at a stop started right up but when you come to a stop it dies came back and got a long jumper wire and jump the cables together for 2 20 minute periods
no change
and I put another new crank sensor I had in it and immediately the check engine light came on and now it's even worse than it ever was it dies when you start it up you put it into gear it just dies you can't even go anywhere with it so I'm going to put the other crank sensor back in the one that died six times on me

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today had major problems with it so I'm stranded with no car I believe it's the flywheel
every manufacturer makes junk for the last 40 years and it just gets worse

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay I will do that
I always thought you're taking off the negative cable for a few minutes would reset the computer but I will do as you suggested and just touch it to the positive cable for a few seconds..... how that's going to do anything I don't know since the negative cable is totally disconnected from the vehicle but I will try it
Touching both cables together kills any static electricity that remains in the system.

1 - 20 of 473 Posts
About this Discussion
472 Replies
15 Participants
LEVY
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing