The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
These are pictures of a live data stream from an expensive scanner the genisys Evo 5.0 if anyone can make any sense out of it please let me know apparently there's no cam/ crank sensor signal
I don't know if it's the computer or what I do not believe as I said earlier that it's the flywheel and neither does the mechanic friend of mine who loaned me the scanner it starts up and then soon as it's put in gear it dies
It's unusable to drive with

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just a couple quick thoughts after reading this thread:

1.) Are you using the correct paper "shim" disk when installing the cam sensor so that the sensor is installed with correct gap?

2.) Does it bother anybody else that the "Theft Alarm Status" is "Yes?" I don't have a Genisys, so I'm not familiar with exactly what this means. Anybody??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a couple quick thoughts after reading this thread:

1.) Are you using the correct paper "shim" disk when installing the cam sensor so that the sensor is installed with correct gap?

2.) Does it bother anybody else that the "Theft Alarm Status" is "Yes?" I don't have a Genisys, so I'm not familiar with exactly what this means. Anybody??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for those thoughts and I just realized that on one of the cam sensors.... because I had two new ones there was a little round disc stuck on the end of one of the cam sensors and I got rid of it thinking it was just a piece of garbage.
why the theft alarm system says yes I don't know. That could be the problem and if you know how to turn that off or disable it I would appreciate knowing that.
I'm going to check the pins that relate to the cam and crank sensor at the computer and see if the signal is going through but I even had these problems when that round disc was on the cam sensor and I pulled it out and seen it and discarded it any help anyone has would really be appreciated

·
Registered
506 Posts
That little piece of paper is the calibrated spacer shim used to assure the cam sensor is installed correctly. Basically, IIRC, you install the sensor with paper disk up against the camshaft gear and hold there while tightening the mounting bolt. Then you start the engine and the paper shim is dislodged, leaving the correct gap from sensor to camshaft gear. Without this shim, you may have the cam sensor positioned too far from the camshaft gear to detect position properly.

Crankshaft sensor does not have or need a shim, I believe.

Theft alarm status may not be a problem. The "yes" may just mean the system is working... I don't know. Figured I'd see if anyone else here is familiar with the Genisys and able to advise on what that status should be.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had no idea about that I just installed the camshaft sensor by pushing it in until it clicks that I know it's in and then just tightening the bolt that hold it on but it could very well be the theft system also and no Cam and no crank signal at the same time doesn't look right

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How do I get this thing to run right? What is the best way? It also said on the scanner results DIS no cam no crank

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you have access to that Genisys, I'd see if it has a test mode that allows you to adjust the idle air control valve while the engine is running. I recently had an issue with the idle air control valve causing really rough running and was able to temporarily clear the issue up by manually exercising the idle air control valve from min to max opening a few times. Ultimately had to replace the IAC valve to permanently correct the problem. Again, this may be totally unrelated to your problem... just putting out thoughts regarding personal past experience with rough idle/operation. Van had north of 225,000 miles on it at that time.

Only other thing I can think of could be a failing fuel pump.

I did once have the dealer tell me I had no cam/crank signals back when I was having intermittent wiring harness grounding/corrosion issues. They replaced my sensors... only to then tell me I also needed a new fuel pump. The fuel pump is what I brought it there for... not convinced I really needed new sensors. Somewhat suspicious that the missing signals was caused by my electrical harness gremlins. Ultimately corrected harness problems with a lot of cleanup on the ground point under the battery and the battery harness terminals. Though, If you had been having such electrical problems you'd have likely seen other symptoms like dash indicators going crazy, flashing on/off, randomly dinging, and radio occasionally going out. Oh, and in my case I had at least a couple occurrances of the engine shutting off while driving.

Some folks also report problems from loose/corroded connections to the fuse box in the engine bay. You can unbolt it and check harness connections underneath it as well if you think electrical issues might be your problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well do I need that paper shim on the cam sensor or not? Is there a way to correct
that
I've been trying to research how to disarm the factory theft system since the scanner said yes ...the alarm doesn't go off but when I start the car and put it in gear forward or reverse it dies it runs awful so I thought it might have something to do with that alarm and since the cam and crank have a common ground and I checked that and it's good perhaps the wire coming from the PCM to both sensors i's not getting a signal from either one or both of the sensors which seems improbable for both of them at the same time and the crank and cam sensors are both new and I put the original crank sensor back in and it made no difference and that's what's in there now.
it was running/shifting bad and shuttering for months but no check engine light then check engine light came on a few weeks ago said p1391 replaced the cam and crank sensors no change and now it's running so bad I can't use the van
I disconnected the battery several times and put both cables together to discharge static electricity and reset the computer nothing works
it also sounds like you're saying like a fuel pump problem but it idles and revs fine
I'm going to try tomorrow putting the key in the driver's door turning left and all the way to the right as some people say that will disarm the system if not try the other doors also

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it will continue running roughly in idle, it's probably not the alarm. The alarm immobilizer is supposed to shut the engine down approximately 2 seconds after engine start, I think. So, if you're able to run continuously, even though rough, it's probably not the alarm.

You can buy the spacer disks separately... or you can use the one you removed if you can find it. Not sure how critical the spacing is. Probably more of a safety to make sure the cam gear is not physically scrubbing/rubbing on the sensor body.

I thought you were saying it idled roughly... did I miss something?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It doesn't idle roughly but it will die when it's idling and if put in gear it runs and sputters and terrible and just dies you can't drive anywhere.
In idle it can be revved but it will also die if put in gear it runs awful and dies in a few seconds under load
the scanner says no crank signal and no cam signal.... And I do not know how it can run with none of those signals it has the original crank sensor and a new cam sensor it's been getting worse over time till now it is undriveable sometimes it idles fine sometimes only a few hundred RPM and then dies it's got a mind of its own

·
Registered
506 Posts
Some scanners have test modes you can get into to actively manipulate some systems on the van for trouble-shooting. Again, I'm not familiar with the Genisys, so you may be correct about it not being able to do this.

Have to admit, you've got me stumped if it idles and revs in idle but then randomly dies. Would definitely try getting the cam sensor positioned properly and then go from there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well I'll see if I have that disc but if not where do I get them? And it says no signal also from the crank sensor

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've also thought it might be a bad connection at the PCM but for both sensors at the same time it doesn't seem probable and I thought of running a new wire from the sensors to the PCM to the correct pins

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
To clear it up about the idling.... and I do appreciate your time and help

when I start it , it will idle fine but sometimes it will only run at a few hundred RPMs and die.
no matter how it idles when put into gear forward or reverse it dies under load

21 - 40 of 473 Posts
About this Discussion
472 Replies
15 Participants
LEVY
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing