The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Just an update and a warning to anyone who has a Chrysler minivan or looking to buy one

Well I finally got a replacement sensor from eBay that of course did not fit today so I went to Advance Auto .... bought one with a 1 year limited warranty .... They did not have a Mopar sensor.
Last time when I checked when that mechanic was with me he said the crank sensor was faulty it started right up after we put a donor coil in it but the tack was jumping so he said it was a faulty sensor

I took the crank sensor out haven't touched it since then it's been sitting with no battery

I put a new crank sensor in from Advance Auto and it absolutely will not start no spark going to the plugs
tested it with a spark plug tester no spark going to plugs....this van is a nightmare .
I've been without my own van to drive for two and a half months already because of this nonsense the way they're built
I've got a 79 Chevy van sitting for 20 years because my girlfriend didn't take care of it if I could afford to get that back running that ran never broke down someday I'll put it back on the road I don't have to worry about sensors and a bunch of nonsense just to try and keep an engine running right

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
I write this because it may help someone I know no one really wants to reply back to this thread in a long time and been crazy

from the little bit of research I've just done it says that there has to be a spacer on the end of the crank sensor so I will try and get a thick piece of paper and tap it on there with a little Grease and try that and maybe that will send a signal and make the coil work that's the only thing I can think of right now

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
...from the little bit of research I've just done it says that there has to be a spacer on the end of the crank sensor so I will try and get a thick piece of paper and tap it on there with a little Grease and try that and maybe that will send a signal and make the coil work that's the only thing I can think of right now
The crank sensor does NOT need a spacer.

The cam sensor does need a spacer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
I know the cam sensor needs a spacer and I didn't think that the crank sensor did but I also read somewhere that it does either way I thought it might help because I just put a new crank sensor in and it will not start

I've had problems with this van for months and I switched out the coil with a donor coil and I had a mechanic friend of mine with me and it started but the crank sensor was driving the tach crazy so I took it out haven't touched it since then no battery in it
put in a new crank sensor today and it will not start so I thought a spacer might help

I don't know what else to do

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
It's a cheap Advance Auto sensor. Verify that it works by putting the sensor in a known good running van. Otherwise, it's still a crap shoot because those sensors are usually junk and only last a year.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Well I know that it does work I put it in and it runs I bought the one with the limited one-year warranty ....embarrassing to say but what was the problem was the four pin connector that goes to the coil was not making a good connection so I took it off a donor van spliced it in and now it fires right up and runs real good but dies when you put it in gear ,so I switched out the IAC valve it runs much better but sometimes only idles 400 to 500 RPM so I think I need an IAC valve and that should fix everything hopefully .

I also may be buying a 2006 Town and country tomorrow and it has a problem
it won't pass emission testing which I don't have to worry about in my county because when it's plugged into the shop computer the engine dies and then when you unplug it it'll start right back up again the van computer will not communicate

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Well I ordered an IAC valve and I think that' should fix everything I found another crank sensor it's probably the original one out of the donor van but it runs good now it just sometimes it will not idle past 400 500 RPM so that's why I ordered an IAC valve and I will be sure to let everyone know if this finally fixed it when it arrives and I install it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Got the new IAC valve in the mail today put it in and it runs terrible as if it does not work

it will idle fine then when put in reverse or drive it does not raise the idle...stays around 500 sometimes it stalls sometimes it does not with the engine warm or cold it does not matter
also it throws code p1391 still

With the key on and engine not running if I shift between reverse and drive I can hear noise coming from the engine like the IAC motor is kicking in
I found another crank sensor in my toolbox and it's probably the one off the donor van so I'm going to try and switch that out tomorrow...even though I believe your crank sensor in there is probably good but it's still throwing a code I swapped out the coil cam sensor crank sensor IAC valve and STILL this nonsense

this is so incredibly unbelievable

Other than that I don't know what else to do this is getting insane

anyone have good contact information for Chrysler headquarters ?
email or address, phone number , something, anything?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
If anyone knows what could possibly possibly be wrong with this van please tell me or I'll just start a new thread

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Other than that I don't know what else to do this is getting insane

anyone have good contact information for Chrysler headquarters ?
email or address, phone number , something, anything?
I don't know why you want to contact Chrysler for.

You are talking about an almost 20 y.o. vehicle.

Vehicles are made to last 5-7 years. I'm pretty sure Chrysler is not interested on listening to you, otherwise Chryslercares would've helped already.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Well they're the ones who designed this but I'm not going to get into that.
I replaced a bunch of parts spent money on parts I can't afford that I didn't even need in the first place maybe that's my fault like a flywheel and a fuel filter
still this thing will not run right engine runs great when it runs before I had these problems it was problem free for a year-and-a-half now everything's going wrong and I desperately need a vehicle

and 50-60 years ago those cars were made to last more than 7 years they are still on the road if people can afford to drive them I wish I owned one

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Has to be either air, fuel, or spark. How's the air?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Well I'm working on it right now I'm going to start a new thread when I get the chance I took out the crank sensor and bought from Advance and I'm going to return it and I put another crank sensor in which I believe is probably from the donor van, which is probably original Mopar.
I have it in there I started it without touching the gas pedal it ran for about 5 minutes and Died by itself I restarted it and let it run for another 15 minutes and still when I put it in gear it lowers the RPM and dies

The IAC valve new i, a mechanic friend of mine said it could have jumped one tooth of timing I just went back and forth with it 10 20 feet at a time and forward and reverse and the check engine light went on for p1391 as well as p1684
1684 is just disconnect power from the computer cuz the battery was disconnected overnight but I'm still getting a p1391 no crank cam sensor signal no idea what is going on whatsoever with this van so I'm going to have to start a new thread I'm going to go return that sensor now this is really driving me crazy.....making life so hard

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
Just talked to another mechanic I know he says it's what he's been telling me it's probably the flywheel
so when I ever get this thing fixed, if that happens I'll post a solution cuz this is really insane and I'm really exhausted dealing with this van

441 - 460 of 473 Posts
About this Discussion
472 Replies
15 Participants
LEVY
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing