The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone did an upper intake conversion? Take off the All metal and install the plastic system? Why i ask when it gets to 100 around here my 2001 with all metal seems to vapor lock in stop and go

·
Registered
720 Posts
i'm interested in the opposite, i'd love to polish or cerakote a metal intake, but mine has the plastic intake

i'm not sure which vans had the metal intakes, or why, and if they're only for the 3.8 or 3.3

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
i'm interested in the opposite, i'd love to polish or cerakote a metal intake, but mine has the plastic intake

i'm not sure which vans had the metal intakes, or why, and if they're only for the 3.8 or 3.3
What make you think the intake is your problem?

Check the crankshaft sensor first.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Superbee, it's pretty hard to vapor lock a fuel injected engine. Remember, the fuel is pressurized to 50 to 60 psi.

You have a problem, but I don't think it's vapor lock, which was a problem with carburetor cars.

Can you bring on the problem with a heat lamp?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
Superbee, it's pretty hard to vapor lock a fuel injected engine. Remember, the fuel is pressurized to 50 to 60 psi.

You have a problem, but I don't think it's vapor lock, which was a problem with carburetor cars.

Can you bring on the problem with a heat lamp?

+ 100° should not make a big difference on that area, the engine temperature stays pretty much the same regardless outside temp.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I was looking into this exact idea a year or so ago. When I poked around the u-pull-its it seemed that the 2001-2003/4 model years had the metal plenum while the 04/5 and later years has the plastic plenum. I believe this was true for both the 3.3L and the 3.8L. My very topical understanding is the engine block itself has not undergone any changes during those years so they should be interchangeable. I think the top ends of the 3.3L and 3.8L are also identical so the upper plenums could be swapped between models - i know the throttle bodies can be swapped. The main difference I found was whether the engines have the EGR system or not. But... take this with a grain of salt since I haven't lined the plenums up with each other and checked fitment.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
I was looking into this exact idea a year or so ago. When I poked around the u-pull-its it seemed that the 2001-2003/4 model years had the metal plenum while the 04/5 and later years has the plastic plenum. I believe this was true for both the 3.3L and the 3.8L. My very topical understanding is the engine block itself has not undergone any changes during those years so they should be interchangeable. I think the top ends of the 3.3L and 3.8L are also identical so the upper plenums could be swapped between models - i know the throttle bodies can be swapped. The main difference I found was whether the engines have the EGR system or not. But... take this with a grain of salt since I haven't lined the plenums up with each other and checked fitment.
Negative on the 2003/2004 with the metal plenum. It is my understanding the switch happened during the 2003 model year; our 2003 DGC ES was a May 2003 build and it came with a plastic plenum.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
The aluminum intake plenum was on the 2001 3.8 only; 2002 started with the plastic plenum already used on the 2001 3.3L. The EGR valve stayed the same in 2002. The EGR pipe also changed between 2001 and 2002, to correspond to the intake plenum change. That made the EGR pipe for 2002 a one-year part (unless you find a 2001 3.3L with an EGR valve), as it is the only one that can connect the vacuum-operated EGR valve and the plastic plenum. Wiring changed a little in 2003, to incorporate an electric EGR valve instead of the vacuum one. If you look up engine wiring diagrams, 2001 and 2002 are grouped with the 3rd gen vans so are very similar; 2003 was a change and 2004 was the major change to the combined engine/transmission control module. 2005 all the wiring changed again to relocate the injector harness and various other changes in the body wiring (seems to be why 2005's have more electrical issues).

I have a 2001 engine with the aluminum plenum, and will be swapping it for my 2004 plastic plenum. This is how I learned about the single year 2002 EGR pipe to connect my 2001 EGR valve to the plastic plenum while keeping the 2001 (and 2002) electronics.

I would think the aluminum plenum would heat-soak and not be desirable for that reason. It certainly weighs more. Plastic one was probably cheaper to produce and saved a little weight, so that is why Chrysler switched to it exclusively.

As was mentioned before, stalling when hot can be an indicator of crank sensor failure. Cheap auto parts store ones will fail in a year. Sometimes they'll restart immediately, and sometimes require some cool-down time. Eventually will fail completely and strand you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what i have seen at the u-pull-it's here are the early 2001's have aluminum plenums (Mine) late 2001 i have seen a couple with plastic all 3.8's, i don't even look at 3.3's everything plastic 2002 and up my 2002 has plastic and doesn't have an EGR valve, Mine 2001 when it gets that hot out stop and go traffic(100) or more starts loosing Power and will slowy wined down until a stall will not restart until it cools down a little Seems to me Vapor lock I thought thats odd on a fuel injected van only has happen to me 3 times in 5 years last year starting using nonethenol gas during the summer but still did it once but not as bad never stalled

·
Registered
24 Posts
The aluminum intake plenum was on the 2001 3.8 only; 2002 started with the plastic plenum already used on the 2001 3.3L. The EGR valve stayed the same in 2002. The EGR pipe also changed between 2001 and 2002, to correspond to the intake plenum change. That made the EGR pipe for 2002 a one-year part (unless you find a 2001 3.3L with an EGR valve), as it is the only one that can connect the vacuum-operated EGR valve and the plastic plenum. Wiring changed a little in 2003, to incorporate an electric EGR valve instead of the vacuum one. If you look up engine wiring diagrams, 2001 and 2002 are grouped with the 3rd gen vans so are very similar; 2003 was a change and 2004 was the major change to the combined engine/transmission control module. 2005 all the wiring changed again to relocate the injector harness and various other changes in the body wiring (seems to be why 2005's have more electrical issues).

I have a 2001 engine with the aluminum plenum, and will be swapping it for my 2004 plastic plenum. This is how I learned about the single year 2002 EGR pipe to connect my 2001 EGR valve to the plastic plenum while keeping the 2001 (and 2002) electronics.

I would think the aluminum plenum would heat-soak and not be desirable for that reason. It certainly weighs more. Plastic one was probably cheaper to produce and saved a little weight, so that is why Chrysler switched to it exclusively.

As was mentioned before, stalling when hot can be an indicator of crank sensor failure. Cheap auto parts store ones will fail in a year. Sometimes they'll restart immediately, and sometimes require some cool-down time. Eventually will fail completely and strand you.
I have two Town and Countrys. A 2001 and a 2002 both with 3.8 engines. The 2002 does have the plastic intake but what it does not have is an EGR pipe. The hole in the intake where the EGR pipe should go has a cap over it. The hole in the head where the EGR valve would go has a freeze out plug in it. Just an FYI.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
I have two Town and Countrys. A 2001 and a 2002 both with 3.8 engines. The 2002 does have the plastic intake but what it does not have is an EGR pipe. The hole in the intake where the EGR pipe should go has a cap over it. The hole in the head where the EGR valve would go has a freeze out plug in it. Just an FYI.
My 2004 is just like your 2002. I will be putting a 2001 engine and electronics/wiring into my van, and it has an EGR valve. I will be swapping a spare plastic intake onto it from another 3.8 that had an EGR valve, and I have the correct EGR pipe to make it work with the older style valve.

I could just swap the plastic intake onto the engine and dress it as a 2004, but that would require changing the flex plate and the biggie: pulling the oil pan, timing cover and cam gear/sensor from both engines and swapping them. That's a lot of work, and the reason for the engine swap is a possible damaged camshaft/bearings which would take a long time to tear down/repair. I like the earlier electronic features more (autostick and EVIC menu) so wiring seems easier to change. I know everything was working on the van before I tore it apart, so it's a known history to start with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very good. Now I understand where you are coming from. The pipe is not the same from plastic to metal intake. Sorry for butting in, I just wanted you to know that there were some engines without the EGR. I stand corrected. Thanks for the update

1 - 15 of 15 Posts