The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clunking noise coming from my front end when I hit large bumps and slow and high speeds. It comes from either the left or right side, depending on which tire hits the bump. I changed the struts. The mechanic says everything seems ok and that I should just turn up the radio. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
How many miles on your Van ?

I am also assuming the mechanic did not drive the car but did a visual inspection ?

It could be many other things, but to me it sounds like your sway bar bushings needs to be replaced, very common.

Yours is 2002, are you on the original set or replaced sway bar bushings before.
Mine, on my 2001, last about 30k - 40k miles, I am on my 3rd set of sway bar bushings.

If it is the bushings and if you want to do it yourself, search the forum, there is a link with a wonderful photo essay. If you DIY the cost will be about $15'ish :cool: for the bushings + your time about 3/4 hrs to an hour maybe...

·
Registered
259 Posts
The end links on the sway bar can also cause a clunking noise on bumps

·
AMC Nut stuck in a Dodge
1,224 Posts
Yeah sound like them ol' sway bar bushings just like always. That sound is all to familure to us Chrylser van owners:biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had to replace the sway bar links on my 02 T&C LX for that noise, the Auto-Zone part number is SL-95. That was at around 65,000 I'm up to 96,000 miles and it's still quiet.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
Also read Louis' posts he found the problem was control arm bushing. Great job Louis something to check out now when having clunks
Yes, many years ago, some of the Ford upper control arm bushings were notorious for squeaks when they started to wear. Then they would clunk / bump. When a car was going by and making a squeaking noise, you didn't have to look to know it was Ford product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.