The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have own Chrysler T&C for 8 years now.
That's great minivan.
Lately, (for the last year ) I have strange behavior of the minivan:
The doors actuators (All of them) sudden start to try closing the car repeately with no any command - it can happen while I driving or when the car in the garage.
I cant find the problem since it is not constant and I dont know where to look for.
Please help with that wierd problem,
Thanks

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,435 Posts
Welcome

Things to check:

1. First, remove one battery cable, with that cable touch the other cable a couple of times. Hope this solve your problem.
  2. Your IPM (Fuse Box) migh be wet or corroded. Remove all fuses, one by one, check for corrosion.
  3. Remove the IPM and check wiring underneath for corrosion, clean them.
Hope this helps

Good luck.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,920 Posts
Yup, low voltage.

Do the instrument needles 'jump' when starting? That is another sign of a weak battery.

Could also be poor grounding, SEARCH the forum for solutions and location of ground points.

+++++++++++++

It was two weeks since we last used our van. The needles jumped, engine didn't start. 18-month-old battery read only 11.2VDC.

After an hour on the charger, it was back over 12.5. No further issues, long as we dare violate our state's stay-at-home directive every three days. 🤓

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, low voltage.

Do the instrument needles 'jump' when starting? That is another sign of a weak battery.

Could also be poor grounding, SEARCH the forum for solutions and location of ground points.

+++++++++++++

It was two weeks since we last used our van. The needles jumped, engine didn't start. 18-month-old battery read only 11.2VDC.

After an hour on the charger, it was back over 12.5. No further issues, long as we dare violate our state's stay-at-home directive every three days. 🤓
Hello Carbuff2,
Thanks for your reply and help.
The instrument needles does not 'jump' when starting.
A garage man has say something also about poor grounding . I will search for the forum,
Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome

Things to check:

1. First, remove one battery cable, with that cable touch the other cable a couple of times. Hope this solve your problem.
  2. Your IPM (Fuse Box) migh be wet or corroded. Remove all fuses, one by one, check for corrosion.
  3. Remove the IPM and check wiring underneath for corrosion, clean them.
Hope this helps

Good luck.
Hello Levy,
Thanks for your reply,
for your suggestions:
I will try the 1st.
for the 2nd - I will check it also - although I dont think that it happen since I live in a hot country.
For the 3rd I will check that also.

More information that it is wierd: any time that I open the switch - the A/C is turned on even if it was off in the last working event - so, each time I turn on the vhicle I need to turn off the A/C.

Thanks,
Ofer

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,435 Posts
More information that it is wierd: any time that I open the switch - the A/C is turned on even if it was off in the last working event - so, each time I turn on the vhicle I need to turn off the A/C.

Thanks,

#1 might help with that.

You only need to remove one cable, either one, but the positive might not reach the negative cable, so disconnect the negative, it is safer if you are careless and your tool touches a metal part of the vehicle while disconnecting the cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 grand caravan with weird electrical issues. Wonky gauges, transmission module acting funny etc. The issue was the alternator. One diode was bad. It showed ok with a meter but with an oscilloscope it had dips in voltage. The four gen electronic modules can’t stand low voltage spikes. Replaced the alternator and all was ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2001 grand caravan with weird electrical issues. Wonky gauges, transmission module acting funny etc. The issue was the alternator. One diode was bad. It showed ok with a meter but with an oscilloscope it had dips in voltage. The four gen electronic modules can’t stand low voltage spikes. Replaced the alternator and all was ok.
Thanks Dexlabboy,
My problem is when the mini van in the garage in parking without ant one in the van - and it start doing trying to close actions repeatly with out no trigger - by it own.
I will try again in the garage.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guy's - I have tried all the solutions here with no luck.
lately there is another weird problem that I have already write above: the A/C turn on every time when I switch on the van. even if I turn it off and then close the switch and turn the switch again - the A/C turn on.
I dont know what to do - I think that the problem came from the BCM.
Please Help....

·
fix it if you can
5,135 Posts
Thanks Dexlabboy,
My problem is when the mini van in the garage in parking without ant one in the van - and it start doing trying to close actions repeatly with out no trigger - by it own.
I will try again in the garage.
Thanks
That could still be the result of corrupted memory from AC ripple and/or low voltage - if you don't want to test or replace the alt. try charging your battery disconnected from van and driving short distance with alt. coil connector unplugged. (or observe in garage after battery recharge and 'reset' - depending on how frequent this problem is)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That could still be the result of corrupted memory from AC ripple and/or low voltage - if you don't want to test or replace the alt. try charging your battery disconnected from van and driving short distance with alt. coil connector unplugged. (or observe in garage after battery recharge and 'reset' - depending on how frequent this problem is)
Thanks atoman,
I have tooked out the IOT fuse (BCM fuse) and still - when I am opening the switch - the HVAC turn on . I turn it off , close the switch, open the switch again and it goes on again(sometimes with A/C on and somtimes with A/C off).
I have replace the battery to new one - and stil - when the car is parking in the garrage - I can hear the power locks - locking like crazy. It can happens during driving also.
cant understand where from this problem.
Please help

·
fix it if you can
5,135 Posts
I'd check all the ground points in the front, followed by IPM and esp. connectors underneath, and last but not least the battery cables (esp. the ends near clamps).

While it's possible for BCM to fail, on these vans body control modules are very sensitive to voltage and ground issues - I'd not try to replace the module until all else is ruled out.

There's also the common failure point of the sliding door harnesses (in the bottom track), if you have power sliders there is PCI comm bus wire in there and even if non-power the door ajar switch signal wire...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That is great news ofersh, thank you for sharing your discovery with us. Perhaps your information may help another member who has the same anomaly some time in the future.

You have taught me something my friend. Thank you.

Cheers!

Reactions: ofersh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks atoman,
I have tooked out the IOT fuse (BCM fuse) and still - when I am opening the switch - the HVAC turn on . I turn it off , close the switch, open the switch again and it goes on again(sometimes with A/C on and somtimes with A/C off).
I have replace the battery to new one - and stil - when the car is parking in the garrage - I can hear the power locks - locking like crazy. It can happens during driving also.
cant understand where from this problem.
Please help

Does your van have memory seats? The AC can be programmed to turn on when the door is opened/opening switch even if it was turned off last time you drove.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello gmastired,
Well - I dont think that I have memory seat (at least I never used it) - it is LX version.
Does your van have memory seats? The AC can be programmed to turn on when the door is opened/opening switch even if it was turned off last time you drove.
how can I program it?
Thanks,
Ofer

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
how can I program it?
Thanks,
Ofer
Ofer,
At the top of this 4th generation page on this website, the third "sticky" from the top has a listing of all of the programmable features that we can adjust ourselves.

Good luck,
Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts